• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

I have just got a chance at something.
      I’ve more or less given up on finding an apprenticeship. No one will reviel their trade, they will not teach a coming rival. (Guess they are just insecure in their trade)

But as, some of you know, I live in a very small town, and plan on mowing back to my home city. Were the shop who wants me is located. Thats not the chance though. I know my home city has about 11 local shops, and about 30 homebased tattooers. So to open my own in that city, at my current level, would be suicide, economical. I wouldnt stand a breathing chance. But my dream is a shopo of my own.

But the chance goes like this. My mother in law, lives in the next bigger city. (there are two shops there, and they both rade below average) She has, as part of her house, a front flower maker thingy binder stuff, but she havent done anything after she retired. Now that front location, just sits there and she isent using it. I never thought about this before. But she has agreed to let me rent it. And the rent would be based on my income, but can never be greater then 2.000 kr per month.
      This little place, has its own reception area, a tiny office, a work area (bigger then what I have now, with space for two booth) and a toilet.
      Now I know I havent even scraped the surface yet in the tattoo world, and shouldnt be trying to do anything crazy. But my problem with me and my family mowing back to my city, we will be at an apartment, with no room to spare for my tattoo location. (AND I REFUSE TO TATTOO IN MY KITCHIN, thats for food not for ink)

So I have this chance of having my own little place, no bonds attached, no rent that needs being paid each month. I will still be able to have my day job (for now) And I have a chance to start something up in a town, with no bikers ;) and a 20 minutes drive to my upcoming home.

So what do you guys think of this?
      Should I take the job spot at the shop I told you about before, with those two owners? Or should I try my luck and start slow with these locations thats more or less handed down to me?
      And I really value your thoughts here. ;)

By the way. I wish you all a happy new year. And thanks for this years information you have given. I couldny have done any of this, if I havent found this place ;)

Vory

Go for it dude!!! That sounds awesome.
      My friend just did that with her Grandmother’s old building and it came out so amazing. No street signs or anything but having a set place to work at makes it official. Seriously man, ya gotta go for it.

Best of luck brother

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Dude do it. Start your own place. I guess I’m going to have to move to DK, and take that second booth though :P

Infamous
      Participant

Yup, screw those other two guys! lol

Start your own place in the better location with the cheaper rent!

I’m seeing a lot of pros to the second option and nothing but cons in the other one, it might not be what you were planning on doing but I think its clearly the better move.

Jbeaufosho

Man I gotta say I would usually be against this kind of thing but those conditions sound literally ideal for a young upstart. Shit man, how could you say no? Honestly I think an apprenticeship is insanely important to really learn what you’re doing, but if you’re going to be tattooing in the meantime you might as well do it right. Ps if you’re ever in Amsterdam you should check out tattoo peters shop. The guy that originally opened the shop I work at learned there, and is now back working there since he left the states. Bill Loika. If you have the chance check him out.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

The problem with Denmark is everything is run by Bikers. Denmark is basically stuck in the 60s. You can’t get an apprenticeship, and if you open a shop Bikers will run it, or smash your windows in, or break your hands if you don’t pay protection. It’s not like North America where–with some persistence–you can walk into a shop and get an apprenticeship. It’s definitely different in different parts of the world.

I can say that Lenn is doing a good job, and slinging great ink. He even does rad portraits! Everything he does is clean, sterile, and he uses a fully disposable set up.

Jbeaufosho

So I’m retarded. I thought I had read somewhere you were in the Netherlands but I see now you live like 300 miles from there. Not really doing my part to erase the stereotype of the ignorant American -sigh- but anyway, if you’re ever out that way for some reason…

Lennart82
      Participant

Hehe Danish guy here ;)

But yes my country is stuck in the 60s. There are no rules, no laws, no standards. Just retards wanting to make a quick buck, they hire help from other countries, such as Hungary, Polan and such. And you know why? They are cheap.
      These artist are good, BUT if they were as good as these shop chains claims, then they wouldnt be working there.
      Heres the reason;
      The shop chains, with these artist, charge as a minimum standard 150$ (800dkr) pr startet hour.
      These artists get around 10 percentage of that money. They dont have any ensurance on them, they dont get vacation money or time. They have to have their own equiptment.
      And the business man (Biker lawyer) cashes in. Cares NOT about the art work being made, only that the costumer is satisfied. Dosent give shit about sanitazions, sterilization and so on.

The other kind of shop, are trying to be legit, but is own by one gang or the other. (Most of the time, these shops, starts to get money loans from the bikers, and it sounds amazing, but they owe you afterwards) These ones, dosen last long. And those two who wanted me, I do believe goes in this catagory.

The next in line, the good artist, or in their own mind, these are the expensive ones. Tattooers I call them. Not artists. They charge insane money, just cuase they have an autoclaver, they dont know how to use it, but they got it. They are also members of the Danish Tattoo Lauge. Which actually is just a bunch of hipocrites. You CAN get an apprenticeship, but you have to follow their rules. They have a loooong list of unspoken rules, I know, I was almost shanghaid by one of them. Basically, you cant open a shop once you apprenticeship is over. If so, you have sign a contract that states, you owe them some of your cash every year in a periode of x times the years you have studied.

Next. Those who actually makes a living of doing tattoos. I have seen 9 or so, under this category. Their work, not bad, but not brilliant either. They mostly have a shop. Nothing wrong with this category, except, they are paranoid as hell, they will not talk to you, if your another tattooer. They will not tell any secrets of any kind. And they even tend to smack talk other artists. Which, in my mind, says they are insecure.

The next type in line, are the basic kitchen barbar. Those who bought a kit, thinking they can earn some extra cash, while collecting unemployment money from the state.
      These makes decent scripts, tribals and such. Since they dont go to work, and have a lot of friends who dosent work either, they get lots of practise doing basic tattoos. These are your common ones. Those who are under the category Tattoo copyists.
      They dont want to learn, and just does what the first dvd kit says. They cant afford the expensive stuff, since they dont price their tattoos that high.

The last in line, are the good ones. perhaps 5 or 6 in all of Denmark, go under this category. They have their own shop, and two even have their shop as a part of their home. They dont owe anyone their talent. They are truly artists. But they also know they are truly artists. And they charge what ever they like. These guys, can have other artists under them, and have a shop of up to 4-6 other workers. This is actually a place were you can learn stuff. If you want to apprentice here, it WILL cost you. Anywere between 100.000 dkr to 500.000 dkr, for a 2 year study.

This, my friends on the forum, is what I am challenged with. This is the Danish Tattoo Scene in a nutshell.

If you want to make insane amounts of money as a tattooer, come to Denmark, people will pay your wildest prices. But be prepared to met these types. And be prepared to met up with some bikers first.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan