• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      PallySF

Hi there!
      My husband is a very talent fine artist wo has been wanting to delve into tattoo art for awhile. His BDay is coming up and I want to surprise him with a good tattoo starting kit but I don’t know anything about the equipment. Could you please recommend some brands/ websites where I could get one.
      Thank you in advance for your time!

Best not to start w/ a kit – best to start with an apprenticeship – when artists in a studio think he is ready they will help him get real tools. The best gift you can give him is walking door to door to every tattoo studio – and get him an interview!

demonicus

seriously is this site not called teachmetotattoo.com or was it screweverythingdontbotheruntilyourinanapprenticeship.com?

He’s right about getting a kit however, depending on your budget and what you want in terms of quality your best off to either piece together a kit yourself or get something crappy (like I did) and only use it for practising on fruit and then upgrade when you learn what your really doing… insert apprenticeship here.

Disorder

@canvasyou wrote:

Best not to start w/ a kit – best to start with an apprenticeship – when artists in a studio think he is ready they will help him get real tools. The best gift you can give him is walking door to door to every tattoo studio – and get him an interview!

A more to the point answer would be really nice. In my country apprenticeship is out of the question coz tattoo artists simply don’t share knowledge. Believe it or not I’d really appreciate an answer based on what I state.

RogerRockit

I know this is an old topic, but since it’s been brought back up (and it’s new to me), here’s my .02 cents.

This site, to my knowledge, is a companion to the book, “Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo.” That is where to start, read the book. In it, you will find the author (I suspect the admin who posted earlier) admits that many tattoo artists do not start out with apprenticeships, including himself, and that was a driving force for him to write the book. There are always going to be people who start tattooing without proper training. The book gives those people, as well as those seeking honest apprenticeships, a jump start in the right direction to an educated tattooing experience. Probably 90% of the book is divided up evenly between learning the machine, and proper health & safety techniques. These are things new artists need to know before ever powering up a machine. The author did ultimately get a proper apprenticeship, and advocates that is the BEST way to go, while acknowledging there will always be those who don’t.

I think kits serve a purpose. Mostly, to learn what you will really need, so you know what to upgrade to! I was lost when looking at all the possible tattoo equipment, and nobody gives the same answer twice on what’s best. So I finally ordered what appeared to be a good starter kit off of Amazon. Once I had it and started practicing with it (on frutis and practice skins), I quickly learned everything I was going to need. Now I am slowly upgrading the major things, from coils to machines and power supplies. So yes, I believe kits have a place for beginner tattoo artists. My advice is if you must order one, buy one that’s not overly expensive (I stayed just under $100), that comes with both coil and rotary machines, plenty of ink caps & needles, obviously a power supply with all the cables/foot pedal, practice skins (order extra). DON’T expect a kit to be everything you need, it’s just a starting point. FYI, some kits even come with the book I mentioned above.

I see the book, and the kits, as a practice tool leading up to an apprenticeship. I wouldn’t want to go into an apprenticeship without a working knowledge about tattooing. And if you live somewhere that an apprenticeship just isn’t possible, practice practice practice and don’t go around carving people up with bad tattoos. Best of luck!

Jester Ink
      Participant

i’ll prolly catch a lot of flack fer this, but amazon.com has decent starter kits. The “kit” i have is a frenkenstein of random machines, tips (stainless steel, i know not what i’m pose to use unless i can professinally clean them) and disposable tips, boxes of 5 and 7rl, mags (that i never use cuz the packaging opened) and crappy ink. When i first got it, was from a friend cuz i have issues that involve cutting myself. Since then, i’ve added to this “kit”. got better grips, the needles, disposable tips, kokkai sumi ink (rare but is actually legit) all from amazon. I’m trying my hardest to get an apprentinceship, but i’m in the middle of some serious s.it with the state, that decided to judge me by my tats, and not the human wearing them.
      To me (in my own opinion) learning to tattoo without atleast a machine, is like teaching someone to draw without pen or paper. kinda need the hands on experiance.
      sorry for the reply on a dead post

jcarmack
      Participant

O.k., I’ll let you guys in on a little secret. The MAJORITY of tattoo supplies bought and sold on the U.S. market are “MADE IN CHINA.” How do I know this? Because I have contacts in china in the companies that make the equipment. You can go to http://www.alibaba.com and see just about anything and everything on there that’s sold all over the world and made in China.

There are manufacturers that make their own tattoo machines, etc., here in America but in general the vast bulk of the stuff is made overseas.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

The best kit IMO would be the 189.99 kit produced by Hildbrant, but as Canvas said you should start with an apprenticeship.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan