• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’m just seeking a little clarification on the types of machines. I understand that the size of the wraps relates to the size of the needles the machine can use, ie:

8 Wrap – Liner (upto size 7 needles)
      10 Wrap – Liner/Shader (9 and upwards)
      10 Wrap – Color packer/Shader (9 and upwards)
      12 Wrap – Color packer (bigger magnums…)

But I’m not 100% on the difference between a shader and a color packer… I’ve read that the difference between them is the stroke length as adjusted by coins between the spring and depressed armature bar, ie: nickel for a shader, two nickels for a color packer, and a dime for a liner, so just wanted to be sure that this is correct? Or, could a shader be used for coloring depending on the effect desired? Also, is it worth using a 10 wrap machine as a liner regardless of needle size, or would running a 5 liner on a 10 wrap machine, with a dime stroke length hit too hard for nice lines? I’ve been pretty particular about keeping each machine ‘size specific’, but wondered just how much crossover between them is actually possible?

Thanks in advance :)

What you have stated about coils is NOT true.

@canvasyou wrote:

I was not trying to state the above as accurate facts, but what I had been told and read on various forums, so could you explain to me what is correct, please?

wrathone11
      Participant

There is no rule as to what machine/coil/wrap is used for the tattooing process. What you find is best to push a 7mag for coloring may not be what I choose to push the same needle. You are mentioning old school rule of thumbs, they are good to know and very useful. However, as you progress if you limit yourself to these set rules you will find it limiting. I would recommend reading the Guy Aitchison book Reinventing the Tattoo, there is alot of very good information on expanding the possibilities of tattooing if we get away from some of the old myths and so called rules.
      To answer your question in a very basic manner, only you will be able to tell if your machine is doing the job you want it to do. Everyone has their own preferences for tuning, needles, etc. etc. etc.

@wrathone11 wrote:

There is no rule as to what machine/coil/wrap is used for the tattooing process. What you find is best to push a 7mag for coloring may not be what I choose to push the same needle. You are mentioning old school rule of thumbs, they are good to know and very useful. However, as you progress if you limit yourself to these set rules you will find it limiting. I would recommend reading the Guy Aitchison book Reinventing the Tattoo, there is alot of very good information on expanding the possibilities of tattooing if we get away from some of the old myths and so called rules.
      To answer your question in a very basic manner, only you will be able to tell if your machine is doing the job you want it to do. Everyone has their own preferences for tuning, needles, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try and get hold of a copy :)

@KitchenWizard wrote:

@canvasyou wrote:

I was not trying to state the above as accurate facts, but what I had been told and read on various forums, so could you explain to me what is correct, please?

I use the same coils on my liner as the shader. You want strong coils. The stronger the better. Adjust the way the machine runs w/ the springs – this way you eliminate a variable. Once you know the way your machines are tuned you can change coils. The book has alot of tricks and tips about coils. I am really getting more in depth with the tattoo machine tuning and mechanics of it all in the new book…sorry its taking so long guys! Been a busy year!!

if you purchase the Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo – you can email me directly – just include your serial number and I will do my best to answer. I hope to have some more custom machines for sale as well when I am home from afghan soon!

@canvasyou wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

@canvasyou wrote:

I use the same coils on my liner as the shader. You want strong coils. The stronger the better. Adjust the way the machine runs w/ the springs – this way you eliminate a variable. Once you know the way your machines are tuned you can change coils. The book has alot of tricks and tips about coils. I am really getting more in depth with the tattoo machine tuning and mechanics of it all in the new book…sorry its taking so long guys! Been a busy year!!

if you purchase the Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo – you can email me directly – just include your serial number and I will do my best to answer. I hope to have some more custom machines for sale as well when I am home from afghan soon!

Thanks, I’ll pick up a copy when I have the spare cash :) Something else which made me wonder, is a friend and fellow wizard (very much still in the learning phase) recently had an issue putting in clean lines, and I wondered if some of the problem, might have been that the machine was simply too heavy for him to control for fine work (I think it was a 14 wrap with a heavy, sculpted frame) and I figured that for packing in color or shading, where tight control isn’t such an issue, it would be fine, but it did strike me as a bit much for line work, a bit like using a sledge hammer to open a peanut…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan