Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      jtdaltonsr

Greetings, fellow tattoo lovers…My name is John, new to the site. Im not currently an apprentice, but working on it right now. I havent been able to get a good answer so I thought I would leave it to the community of “us” (newbies, scratchers, whatever u refer to) and the pro’s. I have a kit, which I have just recently received. I have all metal grips, steel and alluminum. Now, I have only used each grip and tube and tip ONCE, bc I dont have an autoclave. What could I do to ensure that all metal is sterile without the autoclave? One suggestion is just to “boil” in water for bout half an hour, cool off, soak in mix of water and alcohol (50/50) and then back in the boiling water for another 30 minute cycle. Would this actually suffice until I can get the cash for a decent autoclave? And is an ultrasonic really required or is it just prefered? By the way, anyone that is reading this, if you havent already, GET THE FRIGGEN BOOK “BASIC FUNDAMENTALS OF MODERN TATTOO,” you definately WONT regret the info. Ive read twice thru and coming to my 3rd! But anyways, back to subject at hand, any other suggestions, or will this work? Thanks!

If you have read the book, then you know….
      You can ONLY sterilize tubes w/ Autoclave that has been tested.

Shell out the $1.50 for a disposable tube.
      Seriously –
      DO NOT use the methods you described to tattoo – using dirty gear.

Only disposable tubes should be used by an apprentice, get an apprenticeship! And you will learn how to run an autoclave!

: )

jtdaltonsr

I understand. Money is tight, so I have to use what I have. I was told this by a Doctor, so I thought it would be ok, being as I also bag them after in seperate baggies. Are U SURE this doesnt sterilize? Ive had multiple docs tell me this is more than enough. But we are talking about tattooing, so u would know. anyhow, just want to be as safe as possible with what I DO have, because honestly I WILL be doing more tats.

“Bleach will kill many, but not all spores. It is also highly corrosive.”
      “Sterilization can be achieved by applying the proper combinations of heat, chemicals, irradiation, high pressure, and filtration.”

USE DISPOSIBLE TUBES – if you are new to tattooing, and you are “going to be tattooing no matter what”
      They are approx $1.50 each.
      If you can not afford a disposible tube because “money is tight”
      Then you shoudl probably spend some more time looking for a real job than reading forums online.

1.) Get an apprenticeship – if possible
      2.) Do NOT tattoo anyone but yourself if you are not an apprentice
      3.) Do NOT use metal tubes and tips on ANYONE but yourself unless you own an autoclave or EO Sterilizer
      4.) Do not bitch about disposible tubes costing too much money – when you are probably charging people for hack job scratcher tattoos.

I am not one to yell at scratchers – but seriously, you ask for advice – then you keep on going saying “are you sure… cause I am just going to tattoo anyway”
      Seriously ??

And even though you didn’t say it – I am going to answer your next questions for you.
      NO – do NOT tell your clients they can have a discount if they “save their needles”
      NO – do not use the same needle on a husband and wife
      NO – do not dip your used tattoo gear in bleach and expect it to be sterile

Please don’t get butt hurt on this – but this is why I dedicated a bunch of pages in my book to this topic, because I know people are going to tattoo no matter what. At least they can be smart about it. And the technology exists that you can get disposible tubes and needles and barrier bags for cheap – so why even risk it?

And yes – you are a scratcher, so don’t all butt hurt about being called one.
      Take it for what it is – and just buy some disposible tubes and keep on scratching.

best of luck to you – hope you can get an apprenticeship somewhere – i know it is hard..

-CR Jordan

jtdaltonsr

I totally respect that. I actually have researched some disposables, and they arent that much. Thanks for the constructive critisism, man. I didnt mean to sound as if i would do it regardless, just wanted to be right. You know how us hardheaded fuckers are…lol anyways, I still have not used the metal but once, they are still bagged. I am taking your advice, man. Im just anxious about tattooing, man.! thanks for the feedback.

jtdaltonsr

By the way, I was searching for some disposables, found just the tube for a reasonable price. Its the whole tube and tip, but not the grip. If I got this setup, would that be ok till I can get the full grip, tube and tip disposable? I mean, The grip doesnt get any contact with skin, but it does get the “fluids” so was woundering if I did this, how safe would it be with a metal grip that has been soaked in alcohol? or possibley a new grip cover every time? by the way, i found another shop that Im gonna try for an apprentice at. The guy used to be best friends with my Martial Arts trainer a long time ago, so he recognises me. Is it also ok to do that, I mean have two shops that I am trying to get an apprentice? or stick with just one and try like hell? thanks for the replies, man. I take critisism VERY well.

John Dalton

Superior, Unimax, Technical, CAM, Kingpin, Eikon,
      Everyone sells disposible tubes w/ grips –
      Around $1.00 each or less…
      I don’t see your complaint about price.

jtdaltonsr

Well, I can get 250 individual wrapped and sterilized with gas tubes and tip combo for just $20. I already have the needles. So Im guessing that aint your version of a good idea…Still pushing the full disposable deal. I do understand, but to get the amount I would need, It would cost me a few hundred as aposed to just $20 or so. I also have a SHIT load of latex grip covers that go ALL THE WAY around the grip and snug over the tube a lil, so I know it is sterile. SO this setup is exactly what a disposable setup is. It is just cheaper for right now till i can afford the stuff YOU recommend. Does this setup with the disposable tube and tip with disposable grip covers suffice about the same as a full on disposable? Being as EVERYTHING that has SOME contact with client will be thrown away? Im just going over my options until I can get some supplies. SO far, $40 for tube/tip combo and grip covers, as compared to the same deal, 250 full disposable at around $250. Whadya think? And price FOR RIGHT NOW is a big deal.

xDreamerx
      Participant

…..

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

Well, I can get 250 individual wrapped and sterilized with gas tubes and tip combo for just $20. I already have the needles. So Im guessing that aint your version of a good idea…Still pushing the full disposable deal. I do understand, but to get the amount I would need, It would cost me a few hundred as aposed to just $20 or so. I also have a SHIT load of latex grip covers that go ALL THE WAY around the grip and snug over the tube a lil, so I know it is sterile. SO this setup is exactly what a disposable setup is. It is just cheaper for right now till i can afford the stuff YOU recommend. Does this setup with the disposable tube and tip with disposable grip covers suffice about the same as a full on disposable? Being as EVERYTHING that has SOME contact with client will be thrown away? Im just going over my options until I can get some supplies. SO far, $40 for tube/tip combo and grip covers, as compared to the same deal, 250 full disposable at around $250. Whadya think? And price FOR RIGHT NOW is a big deal.

Okay… for the final time.
      Please go to this website… http://unimaxsupply.com/tatneedle/1combopurple.htm
      Spend yourself $1.99 for a 1″ needle tube combo.
      You are not going to be doing good tattoos – you are not going to be doing thousands of tattoos, you are obviously not working a shop – or your mentor would give you tubes to work with.

Please stop asking for advise – then telling me what you think is a better idea.

$1.99 – I don’t see how you can not afford that??

Buy disposible tube / needle combo – and done deal – end of discussion…
      This is the only thing I endorse and due to your lack of understanding for the process… (which is obvious by assuming you can just cover your grip w/ a grip cover and be good to go).

I am not saying you have to use Unimax – I am just making it easy for you – since this has been a very – very painful forum.
      Once again – $1.99 for a combo… simple – problem solved.

If you don’t have $500.00 to buy supplies – then you should not be tattooing. You need to get another job – and you need to save your money – work as an apprentice or even as a janitor in a tattoo studio.
      Do whatever you have to do to get into a real studio. Learn what you can. Get 3 jobs and spend all your money on getting tattooed. Then spend what little left over money you have on buying tattoo machines, power supplies, and disposibles.
      Experiement costs money –
      If you are not being told what is good – via an proper tattoo apprenticeship – then you have to spend money and learn the hard way.
      You can NOT skimp on being clean w/ disposible.

It seems like tattooing should be such an open / shut case – with disposible and not tattooing at home… and yet here we are going over it again… but its not the message that is lost in translation… i have a feeling that if you were working in a studio – you would be doing a lot of floor mopping.. and giving the guys who work there a heart attack on a daily basis.

Merlin44

@canvasyou wrote:

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

Okay… for the final time.
      Please go to this website… http://unimaxsupply.com/tatneedle/1combopurple.htm
      Spend yourself $1.99 for a 1″ needle tube combo.
      You are not going to be doing good tattoos – you are not going to be doing thousands of tattoos, you are obviously not working a shop – or your mentor would give you tubes to work with.

Please stop asking for advise – then telling me what you think is a better idea.

$1.99 – I don’t see how you can not afford that??

Buy disposible tube / needle combo – and done deal – end of discussion…
      This is the only thing I endorse and due to your lack of understanding for the process… (which is obvious by assuming you can just cover your grip w/ a grip cover and be good to go).

I am not saying you have to use Unimax – I am just making it easy for you – since this has been a very – very painful forum.
      Once again – $1.99 for a combo… simple – problem solved.

If you don’t have $500.00 to buy supplies – then you should not be tattooing. You need to get another job – and you need to save your money – work as an apprentice or even as a janitor in a tattoo studio.
      Do whatever you have to do to get into a real studio. Learn what you can. Get 3 jobs and spend all your money on getting tattooed. Then spend what little left over money you have on buying tattoo machines, power supplies, and disposibles.
      Experiement costs money –
      If you are not being told what is good – via an proper tattoo apprenticeship – then you have to spend money and learn the hard way.
      You can NOT skimp on being clean w/ disposible.

It seems like tattooing should be such an open / shut case – with disposible and not tattooing at home… and yet here we are going over it again… but its not the message that is lost in translation… i have a feeling that if you were working in a studio – you would be doing a lot of floor mopping.. and giving the guys who work there a heart attack on a daily basis.

AMEN!

jtdaltonsr

First off, stop Endorcing your freekin full disposables all the time. I told you from jumpstreet i DONT have an apprentice. Ialready got my answer, the methods Im using is just as good as full on disposable. APROVED BY DOCTOR, so….. Thats the only answer I was seeking, not ur marketing for what u feel is a good product. Sorry if I sound rude, but whatever. I only wanted to know if what I have would suffice. Anywho, no further questions regarding that. Have a great day.

jayboogink

http://www.painfulpleasures.com has tat soul spearman wrath tubes with the vortex grip disposable combs 25 pack for 30 bucks. Better price than from the distributor. Top quality disposables!

NAK

I totally agree with what they all are saying, its always better to be safe than sorry no matter how careful you are. I ONLY use disp. materials on clients. I find it much easier to just purchase the bulk combos etc and open in front of the client that way there isnt any questions. Yeah, it might cost a bit, and yeah money may be tight. But in the end you wanna always practice sterile work from the get go.

Jose
      Participant

wow been there John you’ll do okay. i was more freaking out about giving someone more than a tattoo!!! my advise???? save the money and hold off in tattooing, get the right equipment. Autoclave, ultrasonic cleaner, disposibles needles, lots of grips, sterilization pouches. Practicing the ropes.
      It takes a while to get use to. Then when you walk away from one of your works you walk away with a clear conscious. can’t wait to see your work.

jtdaltonsr

been a while since ive posted on this thread, but since then I have went TOTALLY with disposable. Mainly bc i dont have an autoclave, and the method i used rusted one of my grips, didnt want to give a client anything. I was boiling everything, then soaking in mix of 50/50 alcohol and water. then in a green soap bath and then back in alcohol and bags. Took alot of work, and it made only sense to get the friggen disposables and be done with it! I will post some pics of some of my work once i get internet at home, currently the only way is at work and they dont allow cellphones and cameras.

Going with disposables just makes sense, bro, it takes the hassle out of everything :) No hassle with post-tattoo cleaning and sterilizing, no hassle of clients asking “is that a clean needle?”, because you’ve opened it right in front of them :D If I was to ever have my own premises, I know by law I would have to have an autoclave, but I can say now that I would never actually use it, as disposables are great, and anything else is pointless :)

voodoo

EBAY.. get them for like .60 each in bulk. Why F around?

jt,

Did you seriously say that the methods you’re using (boiling/bagging) is suitable to sterilize metal tubes? IT’S NOT! See, this is the big problem I have with scratchers. I would actually like to share certain information with people trying to learn but people like you really make you think twice about doing so. You have no idea what so ever as to what you’re talking about. Is this a joke to you? Do you even think about the fact that you could potentially destroy somebodies life? And for what? So you could do your little tattoo and maybe make a few bucks? Do you even know how easy it is to spread Hep? HIV? If you want to tattoo take some damn pride in it. Show some respect for yourself, the client and the art. THE ONLY WAY TO STERILIZE A STEEL TUBE IS WITH AN AUTOCLAVE! And thats the last step to the process of cleaning a tube. Take the advice that people are giving you. If I gave a person a disease I wouldnt be able to look at myself in the mirror. You obviously arent tattooing allot. Make your life easier and safer for the client and invest in disposables. They’re cheap.

PS Would you be OK if a surgeon or dentist worked on you with equipment that they boiled because they had no autoclave? If you’re willing to take risks with peoples lives based on your own selfishness and ignorance. You are exactly the type of person we do not need in the tattoo industry. Its because of people like you that so many people in the industry and reluctant to share information with. You have proven in one thread on one forum that you are not ready nor deserve to tattoo.

bobbylink

that mentallity is exactly why we are called scratchers…just saying one apple doesnt poil the bunch…

wrathone11
      Participant

I’m really not trying to start an argument or get anyone stirred up, but I really am a little bothered by the fact that everyone thinks that an autoclave is the “only” way to sterilize tubes to FDA and medically approved sterilization standards. I have an autoclave I use for my steel grips, I use disposable tubes that slide into the grips. I like the weight of a steel grip which is why I went this way, but like I said I use an autoclave to sterilize the grips everything else is single use disposable equipment. Yes I have my autoclave tested weekly and put everything sterilized during the week aside until I get the results of that weeks test back and they are good. So, like I said I’m not trying to start an argument here, but an autoclave is not the single best or only way to achieve sterilization of tubes for tattooing if you’re going to use metal tubes. There are medically approved ways to sterilize equipment other than autoclaves, as is an autoclave is the easiest, safest and most cost efficient way for tattoo artists to sterilize. It is somewhat scary that more tattoo artists do not know acceptable alternatives to autoclaves though and the reason I think that is because I think there are probably those out there that don’t wait for the weekly test results to come back before using equipment sterilized during that week.
      I think disposable is the way to go all the way around and once someone comes out with a fully disposable tube that has the weight of a 1 inch steel grip I like I’ll switch to those, until then I autoclave grips and use disposable tubes in them. I have done a ton of research on sterilization and methods of sterilization and know alternatives that are medically acceptable and commonly used in hospitals and other medical facilities. For those interested in learning alternatives research chemical sterilization (cold sterilization), chemical clave (requires weekly testing), and dry heat sterilization (dry heat still requires weekly spore testing) methods.
      Please don’t mistake this post as me saying that autoclaves are not the way to go if you’re working as a tattoo artist, I firmly believe they are. However, I think it’s our responsibility as tattoo artists to know alternatives to autoclaves and know how to use them and to keep up to date on the medical and FDA approved approaches towards sterilization. Those that are saying FDA WTF? Yes the FDA does do much of the research and approval of healthmedical regulating when it comes to sterilization.
      Now to all prospective artists and so called “scratchers”, NO boiling, bleach, green soap baths are not going to sterilized your equipment, go disposable or get an autoclave and have it tested regularly.

jtdaltonsr

well to some of the comments, the boiling, then soaking in alcohol was actually RECOMMENDED by a doctor, so thats the method i went with. The chemical solution sterilizes everything it comes in to contact, so those of you saying i dont care about aftercare and spreading things, ur dead wrong. i research tirlessly for answers, and also had some questions on here. finally my question was answered by someone that actually WOULD know the legitimate answer, a freakin doctor. turns out, boiling in a pressure cooker for bout an hour, then soaking in alcohol was more effective than most autoclaves, mainly bc the alcohol would kill any spores that may still be on after the pressure cooker. So YES, to you guys that just post on here to be noticed and to make urselves look like u know what ur talking about, I DO care about spreading things with tatts. I continue to this day to switch from disposables to all metal grips using my method. Works for me, and no one has complained. JUST SO YOU WILL KNOW.

wrathone11
      Participant

I’ve posted the CDC guidelines on this board that give all the information the CDC looks at for sterilization of equipment. I’m not going to argue that what you are doing isn’t sterilizing, what I am going to say is that most of the people that have given you information on this thread have been trying to help you. The view point of the people on here is the view of professionals trying to help others become professionals. In the tattoo industry, with health board inspections the correct answer to sterilization is disposable and or autoclaves. The reason everyone is going to push information guiding you in the direction of autoclaves and disposables is because that is the only way you will be able to pass health board inspections and it is certified safe sterilization by recognized health officials and they’ve even printed material stating that. If someone on here was to tell you that boiling a needle in water then using a chemical sterilization agent then reboiling for and hour was an acceptable way to sterilize they would be giving unprofessional answers to inquiring/prospective professionals. Bottom line is, if you want to work in a shop and be with in health and safety regulations you will either use all disposable or have and use an autoclave. If you are tattooing out of your home and are comfortable with your sterilization methods then that is your business, everyone on here was just trying to give you professional advice and answers.

jtdaltonsr

i understand what people are trying to portray to me,but sometimes people overthink a question or comment. All i was getting at was that I got a pressure cooker,which is an autoclave without a pressure guage. I do 15lbs of pressure for 20 minutes, and then soak in alcohol. If the people that bash scratchers would have read my post in its entirety, they would have noticed what I was asking. I even got a pro tattooist to OK what i was doing, being as it is the same as his $5000 autoclave. Also i posted bc i wanted people to see there are other ways to PROPERLY sterilize your equipment, not just tattoo shop religion gobbldygook.I understand u say, work at a shop, dont do at home, but for those who LIVE to tattoo, thats not an option. So for the ones that tattoo at home, GET A PRESSURE COOKER, save urself some cash.

Hated

disposable tubes with grips are pre sterilized and cost under $1/ea. why would someone even bother with the hassle of taking the chance on using the pressure cooker method? there may be alternate ways to sterilize equipment aside from an autoclave but industry and BBP certification standards list autoclave as the only approved method for sterilization of non disposable equipment. Personally the disposables work just fine for me, no scrubbing tubes and all that, pop it open set up, do your thing and get rid of it.

jtdaltonsr

I agree with u Hated. Disposable is the way to go. But the truth is, an autoclave IS a pressure cooker. :o research it. Most shops and regulatory factors state to use an autoclave at 15lbs of pressure for 15 minutes. I do the same with my pressure cooker for 20, and THEN place in a sterile solution. I may have worded this thread wrong at first, i did notice I said that I boil my metals, but i dont. Water never touches my metal, I have a spacer in the pressure cooker. that is all i was saying, Im trying to inform the guys like me, and the ones like u, bc we started the same way, that if u are gonna tat at home, be as SAFE as possible. IF you are pinched with money, this is an alternative. It only is a price difference, not a safetly difference. I actually DO use mostly disposable. My argument was to justify my method. I dont work at a shop. I work at home when i can, and for me to practice safety first NOW, it only prepares me for when i DO get into a shop.

jtdaltonsr

Oh and i do spore samples monthly on my pressure cooker. bought it brand new just for this reason. I have the autoclave bags as well that turn black when done right, and you know what? ITS NEVER FAILED :o :shock: ….cheapest home remedy out there. 8-)

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

First off, stop Endorcing your freekin full disposables all the time. I told you from jumpstreet i DONT have an apprentice. Ialready got my answer, the methods Im using is just as good as full on disposable. APROVED BY DOCTOR, so….. Thats the only answer I was seeking, not ur marketing for what u feel is a good product. Sorry if I sound rude, but whatever. I only wanted to know if what I have would suffice. Anywho, no further questions regarding that. Have a great day.

I am not endorsing “my full disposables” This is an industry standard that is actually becoming more popular. I did not create it – nor do I sell tattoo tubes or needles!
      It is smart though

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

GET A PRESSURE COOKER, save urself some cash.

Why stop there? You can get a 12volt car battery and a rotary motor, attach some guitar string – bust open a bic pen and you are in business… Why even tattoo at home. you could get a cardboard box?

Damn, I think I might have just saved you another $20,000 a year on your overhead!

@Hated wrote:

disposable tubes with grips are pre sterilized and cost under $1/ea. why would someone even bother with the hassle of taking the chance on using the pressure cooker method? there may be alternate ways to sterilize equipment aside from an autoclave but industry and BBP certification standards list autoclave as the only approved method for sterilization of non disposable equipment. Personally the disposables work just fine for me, no scrubbing tubes and all that, pop it open set up, do your thing and get rid of it.

Agree –
      $2500-$5000 for an autoclave? or.. 2,500 – 5,000 disposable tubes? @ $1.00ea

Not to mention the ease of cleanup.
      The argument for metal tubes is: Weight, and less friction, better milling process, more accurate and consistent.
      You can compensate for these with Grip covers (RAT GRIPs ect.) and the rest is practice.

Then you can switch to aluminum machines – and not have wrist problems after 30 yrs of tattooing.
      BONUS!

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

Oh and i do spore samples monthly on my pressure cooker. bought it brand new just for this reason. I have the autoclave bags as well that turn black when done right, and you know what? ITS NEVER FAILED :o :shock: ….cheapest home remedy out there. 8-)

The fact of the matter is that if you tell some new kid that a cheap pressure cooker is okay – then he is being cheap w/ his sterilization. (there may be nothing wrong with this concept – autoclave IS just a pressure cooker) – but there is a reason you don’t see a $50 pressure cooker at your local hospital.

And a kid who is afraid to shell out the money for an autoclave (because he is tattooing himself or his buddies in mom’s basement) probably is too cheap to “spore test” his gear.

so – once again.
      If you are NEW to tattooing, and you are learning.
      Don’t tattoo at home – and if you are going to say “screw it” and tattoo at home anyway – then use disposables.
      And don’t forget barrier protection!

tat2theEarth

If u don’t mind me making a suggestion, u can buy 5 or 10 full disposable tip grip combos, do 5 or 6 tats for $50 a pop, and buy an autoclave, which run about $240 on eBay. I don’t know what extras you will need, as I don’t have an autoclave yet I use didposables and have only done a couple free tats, but a few extra bucks for a couple more $50 tattoos , and you will have everything you need. Then you will be able to use your steel and have the piece of mind you and your clients will both be happy with.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@canvasyou wrote:

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

The fact of the matter is that if you tell some new kid that a cheap pressure cooker is okay – then he is being cheap w/ his sterilization. (there may be nothing wrong with this concept – autoclave IS just a pressure cooker) – but there is a reason you don’t see a $50 pressure cooker at your local hospital.

And a kid who is afraid to shell out the money for an autoclave (because he is tattooing himself or his buddies in mom’s basement) probably is too cheap to “spore test” his gear.

so – once again.
      If you are NEW to tattooing, and you are learning.
      Don’t tattoo at home – and if you are going to say “screw it” and tattoo at home anyway – then use disposables.
      And don’t forget barrier protection!

+1

I dont see what is so hard to understand! Some people are stupid.

Also a pressure cooker is NOT enough for tattooing. You need an autoclave that has some sort of “air circulation.” If it’s just heat and pressure you arent sterilizing inside the tubes. A regular autoclave is good enough for piercing because they dont have holes inside their instruments like we do. Without the air circulation you arent getting inside the tubes, thus you arent sterilizing the main part that needs to be sterilized. As far as the spore tests I dont know how much they are there, but in ontario they are 35$ and you are supposed to test 2x a month. If you cant afford to buy disposable tubes, how are you affording to spend 70$ a month testing your “pressure cooker.” that 70$ could go to buying disposable tubes.

go to http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com and spent 75$ on a “Tattoo Refill Pack” there. You get 50 needles, 50 disposable grips, 10 sheets of stencil paper, elastics, grommets, gloves, o-rings, AND ink. I think that’s a better deal than spending that cash on spore tests, AND you get disposable. Not to mention you can email Richard their Operations Manager, and get him to customize the needle, and tube order.

Do it right or dont do it at all.

Nikolas Crites
      Owner/Tattoo Artist
      UzumakiCORP.™ Tattoos

A case of 50 pre-sterile disposible tubes costs $20. multiply that by the minimum of probably 4 diff sizes and styles of tip and you have $80. That my friend is the only way to go if u do not autoclave. IS that too much for the safety of your town? Get an apprenticeship, or at least get a bbp cert and learn on yourself…..please

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan