• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jakethenake

Hey my names Jake D, im from Indianapolis In and im looking to get started into the tattoo trade. Tattooing and body art has always been a ambition of mine and i haave attempted to learn what i can from the trade without an actual apprenticeship. Im wanting to know what i should look for in a apprenticeship and ways to go about getting started. Ive talked with mulitiple tattoo artists from my state and other states and i have even brought my work to some to show. I have about Three books filled with tattoo ideas Ive drawn and some flash i have created for people, but no portfolio.. Im eager to get into the trade and as of right now im only lookin for advice as to how i can get myself there. Also im not like some people that just want to make a quick buck or ignorrant as to the time and work ill need to put in for one. I genuinely have a love for art and am only trying to solidify myself into something i know i will enjoy. Thanks.

Toombs

First of all, get all of the designs and sketches into a portfolio. You will need to present this to an artist if you are going to ask for an apprenticeship… It’s also a good idea to get to know the artist a bit before you go asking… Get some Tats done by them and develop a professional relationship while lightly hinting how much you are into art and tattooing… Don’t put home job tattoos into your portfolio as most artists will refuse to apprentice someone who is trying to teach themselves, they don’t wanna waste their time teaching you good techniques when you already have bad habits (not saying you do have bad habits)… Be prepared to put in hard labour before you even start tattooing to pay for your dues. Remember it is a long and hard process so stick to it no matter how tough it gets… Also I am highly against any artist making you pay $$$$ for an apprenticeship since most (not all of them) who ask this only really want your money and hardly even teach you anything, they just want slave labour most of the time… Good luck in your searching and stick to it… Oh and be prepared for the artist to ask you to design something there and then… It’s to make sure you haven’t ripped off any designs from other people and the Internet… Once again good luck!

wrathone11
      Participant

Don’t get me wrong on what I’m about to say, I do think getting an apprenticeship (or at least having some good friends that are tattoo artist that will help you) is the best way to getting into the tattoo business. The fact that you seem to have a real appreciation and respect for tattoo art and the process of learning the correct way says a lot about your drive to become a tattoo artist. Too many folks are working to get into it now just for the money and never bother to learn the history, I’ve even seen guys that couldn’t tune a machine to save their lives tattooing. They were decent artists, but not being able to tune a machine is like a painter not knowing how to clean a brush it just doesn’t make sense. With that said, buy the book “Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo” and be prepared to be turned down for an apprenticeship at nearly every turn. DO NOT LET THAT STOP YOU. There are tons of great, well respected, big name tattoo artists that never apprenticed. Keep reading this forum, find out good equipment and get your hands on some and start practicing. Try tattooing fruits, fake skin and pig skin first and learn how the needles and machines work. There’s a post on another part of the forum about practicing on your own legs doing bloodlines to learn what it feels like when you’re tattooing. What I’m saying is take the initiative and start learning on your own and in the process if you can find an apprenticeship that’s awesome, if not your learning it either way.

Good Luck

A lot of people say get an apprenticeship, but I think its more accurate to say earn your apprenticeship. Make a portfolio, its the basic to being taken seriously. Show initiative by going and getting certified in blood born pathogens and cpr. Unless you’re in a state that doesn’t have any tattooing laws, you’re going to need them anyway. It will show the tattoo artist you’re not some schmuck off the streets looking for handouts. The most successful way I’ve seen is to do the above, and then ask if you can work for them first, making appointments, cleaning up. Show that you’re useful and willing. Also, pick an artist whose art and work you respect and admire. Also, I agree, don’t go to someone who asks for money. Don’t make yourself an expense for the shop, you’re going to have to sink your own money into yourself. There are things you can learn on your own, but there are important things you cannot learn on your own.

shotglass

First thing: if when you’re talking about an apprenticeship with an artist and he or she starts talking $$$ pretty quickly then run. He or she is more interested in your wallet than teaching you anything. Most of your costs can be made up in sweat equity around their studio.
      Don’t let not getting an apprenticeship slow you down…but at the same time, DON’T put needle to skin until you know basic sterilization and have practiced on fake skin, pig skin, fruit and/or your own skin.
      Draw every day and take art classes. Read everything and watch every video you can on tattooing – not just techniques but also machine tuning, pigments, etc. (You can PM me for a GREAT public domain book by MadHatter)
      Organize your BEST artwork into a portfolio – but if you’re trying to get an apprenticeship then don’t include any tats that you’ve done.
      Take a BBP/CC course and get certified.
      Learn how your machines work on practice surfaces; the different effects that you can get them to do and so on – while practicing sterile techniques.
      Get critiques of some of your practice tattoos from artists who are willing to help – not all of us consider ourselves demigods who charge 10K to teach someone or are afraid of competition.
      When you feel confident in your abilities with your equipment and talent, and have gotten some good comments on your practice pieces then put ink into anyone and everyone who will let you. Get some copies (never original pics) of your best work organized into a portfolio, along with a resume or list of references and you can possibly get a chair in a shop without having apprenticed anywhere.
      Yeah, it sounds like it’ll take a long time, and it will. But when is anything worthwhile every truly free?

Remember this: most of the artists who are making scratcher comments originally started as a scratcher themselves.

Anonymous
      Inactive

There is been lot of appreciable changes been pampered out with such strategy and portfolio it could be generated and made very good.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan