• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Iv been tattooing a few monthes now, and am doing a great job, but my only real problem so far is my stenils. They go on just fine and all, but once I get to tattooing, either , when linning the tattoo, the ink wants to smear all over, covering the stencil, or I wipe it away trying to clear the area of what ink it does have. How do I prevent this other than the obvious wipping away from the tattoo area. Also iv noticed some artist have there needles hanging out of there tube quite a bit and then just not going all the way in, what does that do? Does it prevent so much ink from getting onto the skin?

SparkEater72

Don’t overfill your tube/tip.

Tattooers that run their points out from the tip are working on their knowledge of where their points are in relation to depth in-the-skin. This takes practice and experience… but I recommend it for everyone. Working off-the-tip (needles stick out just enough and run the tip to the surface of the skin) hides the needle and makes it harder to get clean points and pick up (continue) lines when you run out of ink or change position.

Make sure your stencil is dry before you start.

Press a clean wipe over the stencil (do not slide it or you’ll smear the stencil) to remove excess stencil ink. You may have to repeat this more than once… press gently and use a clean wipe each time (or you’ll double the stencil).

When you start lining, start at the bottom:

If you’re right handed wipe down (away from the stencil) and to your right (as you’ll start bottom right of the tattoo and work up and across it)
      If you’re left handed wipe down (again, away from the stencil) and to your left (as, in this case, you’ll start at the bottom left of the tattoo and work up and across it)

Do not smear the whole stencil with petroleum jelly (or your preferred ‘goop’) Just dab a little on the area that you’re about to line.

Don’t use big strokes to wipe the excess ink away… dab down onto the excess ink and gently wipe it away (down/right or down/left).

Dry wipe when doing your lines. Wet wiping, even damp wiping will erase the stencil.

Hope this helps.

Yes thank you, I will have totry the tip thing, and also try dry wipping. Appreciate the help!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan