Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Anything related to baggin’ the machine?

i like to cut a small slit in my bag before putting it on, this prevents any small amount of material being trapped in the tube tip or getting ensnared in the needle grouping.

Nightliner
      Participant

I get a lot of sh*t from some people when I tell them I don’t bag my machines, but IMO, bagging the machines just contaminates them more, and I clean them after evey tattoo anyway so what’s the point? 80% of the shops I’ve been in don’t, and most of the tattoo shows don’t either. I do however bag the clip cord because it drags across stuff, and I do use barrier film on my arm rest, etc….

xDreamerx
      Participant

I’ve seen that alot. Almost as if its common practice to not bag your machine head? Canvas can you talk more about this as why this is practiced?

tyreepatrick

I just recently started bagging my machines but it seems like a hassle since I still clean the machines after every tattoo. Why do you say it contaminates them more, Nightliner?

Per5ent

What do you use to clean the machine if you don’t bag it?

xDreamerx
      Participant

Even though I bag my machines I still spray my machine heads down with Madacide.

wrathone11
      Participant

I don’t bag machines, haven’t seen enough proof that it actually does anything that cleaning a machine won’t do. Matter of fact I tend to agree that material can travel up the tube and is then trapped in the bag with the machine causing even more contamination than not bagging. Just my opinion though

jcarmack
      Participant

Either way you need to be careful when cleaning your machine. Some of the viruscides and other chemicals used in sterilizing your product can damage your tattoo machine. It’s always best to be careful until you know a chemical is safe to use and that it won’t break down your equipment.

The most important issue whether you bag or not is to PROPERLY USE the chemicals EXACTLY the way that the safety sheet and instructions say. You’ve also got to be aware of all the different types of pathogens that you are trying to kill and ensure that you’re using the right chemicals. Lastly, you’ve got to be aware of the dwell time, i.e., how long it takes from the time you apply the chemical to your equipment until it safely kills all the contaminants.

I’ve seen a lot of un-sterile practices at tattoo shops, i.e., inks and supplies on the bench in front of the tattoo artist that are getting covered with the microscopic droplets of blood, body fluids, etc., that occur from the tattoo process. I’ve also noticed a lot of tattoo artists that don’t seem to be too concerned about their health due to the fact that they don’t use face masks and shields to protect their eyes and other mucous membranes, i.e., nose and mouth from becoming contaminated with the droplets from the tattoo process. There’s too many pathogens out there that can be deadly not to be as safe as possible.

murai89
      Participant

i use every PPE as possible. face mask apron sleeves clip cord machine bags.. its not the fact of being able to see it contaminated. using barriers is to lower the risk of cross contamination making it easier to clean and sanitize. alot of those chemicals for TB u gotta have the surfaced wet with the chemical for 10min.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I cover my clip cord with Eikon clip cord bags, and i use folding sandwich bags for my machine. i avoid ziplocking ones as its too many slits for things to get into. i cut one of the corners off then slip it on. before i started tattooing i saw an artist who is in a shop used this method. its just easier on me at the moment since im not super busy. 20$ for bags or 1$ for bags is a big different for me haha.

Best practice is to cover your machine. Reason: You might bump the skin (open wound) of client. Get blood / fluid on machine.
      Bags are cheap and they DO NOT AFFECT the sound of your machine. Anyone who says that, is just lazy. Anyone who says that the heat is a problem from Bags, is incorrect. If your machine is running so hot that a bag will increase its heat to the point that it renders the machine un-usable… then your machine was not tuned properly to begin with.

Reason: You can NOT use harsh chemicals on your machine to clean it. It will erode the metal and the plastic.
      Reason: You can NOT put your machine into an autoclave (without risking excessive damage to wires).

Its for the client. Sandwich bags are cheap. Eikon makes machine bags. You can get cheap machine bags from China online as well as a ton of other places.

Hope that helps!
      : )

http://www.MyFirstTattoo.info
      http://www.TattooRadar.com
      http://www.TeachMeToTattoo.com

@Nightliner wrote:

but IMO, bagging the machines just contaminates them more, ….

If you pull the bag properly – then this is not a true statement

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@canvasyou wrote:

@Nightliner wrote:

but IMO, bagging the machines just contaminates them more, ….

If you pull the bag properly – then this is not a true statement

+1
      also if you if you use proper bagging practices it will as well
      i also only have one cord–RCA–to make changing machines easier, so i put my machines down a lot
      having a large bag over the machine helps a lot as well when putting it down on your station

I use cavicide to clean my machines. however, as it is a harsh chemical i never spray it directly on the machine its always on a papertowel and give it a wipe
      this is enough to clean it but not enough to kill all the garbage you can get on your machine if its not wrapped

as far as changing the sound it depends on the bag itself
      the bags I used are kinda flimsy and the only sound changing is if the bag touches the armature bar. its as simple as moving the bag away and you’re good as gold

the bags arent insulated, so there is absolutely no way it will increase the heat. a proper machine should be able to run all day without overheating

robroy289
      Participant

@Nightliner wrote:

I get a lot of sh*t from some people when I tell them I don’t bag my machines, but IMO, bagging the machines just contaminates them more, and I clean them after evey tattoo anyway so what’s the point? 80% of the shops I’ve been in don’t, and most of the tattoo shows don’t either. I do however bag the clip cord because it drags across stuff, and I do use barrier film on my arm rest, etc….

I am curious!? How does bagging your machine contaminate them more? If you have to adjust your machines contact screw during a tattoo do you change your gloves or do you reach right up there and start turning? Well if you do the second, You are contaminating the machine and with a bag it doesn’t. And yes if the machine is tuned correctly you shouldn’t have to tinker with it but who has the perfect machine. If you do PLEASE tell me where to get one!! I use sandwich bags, very inexpensive, safe, and assures me my machine will be totally clean. It only takes a couple second to bag’em.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@robroy289 wrote:

@Nightliner wrote:

I am curious!? How does bagging your machine contaminate them more? If you have to adjust your machines contact screw during a tattoo do you change your gloves or do you reach right up there and start turning? Well if you do the second, You are contaminating the machine and with a bag it doesn’t. And yes if the machine is tuned correctly you shouldn’t have to tinker with it but who has the perfect machine. If you do PLEASE tell me where to get one!! I use sandwich bags, very inexpensive, safe, and assures me my machine will be totally clean. It only takes a couple second to bag’em.

If I ever have to do adjustments I just do it while the bag is on :3
      its usually just a minor contact screw adjustment or something so I don’t need to touch the machine itself :D
      i also use sandwich bags :D

Spider
      Participant

I gotta say, bagging or not bagging, it is a good question. Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t. And I am not the only one. If you image search you will see that even the best of the best sometimes do and sometimes don’t, clip cord bag is ALWAYS on but bagged machine is not. IMO the difference being that it just gives you a little extra to clean instead of a little extra to throw away. There have been times when a bag was just a freaking inconvienance to me, like I decided to change out my tube and needle set up mid piece for one reason or another. But really a quick spray with sanitizer spray, wipe down then rinse in scadling hot water, shake off and air dry is sufficient to have a clean machine. If your machine ends up being so dirty that a wipe pulls off gunk, well my friends you got bigger worries than just bagging your machine at that point, seriously…and yes eventually the springs and armature bar and other parts get corroded, but that’s why we have replacement parts.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@Spider wrote:

I gotta say, bagging or not bagging, it is a good question. Sometimes I do sometimes I don’t. And I am not the only one. If you image search you will see that even the best of the best sometimes do and sometimes don’t, clip cord bag is ALWAYS on but bagged machine is not. IMO the difference being that it just gives you a little extra to clean instead of a little extra to throw away. There have been times when a bag was just a freaking inconvienance to me, like I decided to change out my tube and needle set up mid piece for one reason or another. But really a quick spray with sanitizer spray, wipe down then rinse in scadling hot water, shake off and air dry is sufficient to have a clean machine. If your machine ends up being so dirty that a wipe pulls off gunk, well my friends you got bigger worries than just bagging your machine at that point, seriously…and yes eventually the springs and armature bar and other parts get corroded, but that’s why we have replacement parts.

+1

such is the glory of coil machines! If something breaks you can either fix it, or replace it!

Personally I always bag my machines. I Change machines often, and put my machines down a lot. That’s one of the main reasons I bag. The odds of it touching the client are slim. it’s mostly to protect it from whatever may be on my work station. ink, ointment, spills, etc.

Spider
      Participant

Part of the beauty of what we do, so many diferent ways to do our job effectively.

Lennart82
      Participant

So what you guys are saying, is that the cord bag, is more important then the machine bag? Since the cord, have a bigger tendensy to hit something?

I am only asking this, cause my mentor, never used a cord bag, only machine bags…..

Spider
      Participant

Really the only thing that is fundamentally necessary is that you keep everything clean. The rest is up to the required state regulations and standards if you follow them, and of course your preferences. Keeping a good pactice is wipe down everything, get in the habit of doing so everytime you touch anything or set up for new ink and after each inking, spray a papertowel with sanitizer and wipe down not just your chair, but clip cord (even if you bag it), bottles, inks, machines, power supply, needle cabinets, your stool, the floor, and anything else you touch gloved or not. Personally I even go so far as to wipe off my personal laptop with sanitizer after evey session since it’s in my booth, my cell phone, and even scrub the wheels of my stool. Personally I feel that there is no such thing as over cleaning and having a bit of OCD is a very good thing in a booth. Just sayin.

Lennart82
      Participant

I already feel that I have gained some good habits of cleaning everything after a session. But still I dont use cord bags. The things that are on the “move” or used in a session, all get wiped before an after a session.
      And as I mentioned before, there are no regulations in my country. But that dosent mean I cant learn from other countries, and go by a rule set. :)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

My main issue with the whole “Cord bag” situation is that the cord–depending on the piece–has an EXTREMELY high chance of touching the client, tattoo area, floor, or depending on how you tattoo YOU. Sometimes to get certain angles I hang my cord over my shoulder to get better leverage. By doing this I am contaminating my cord with my shirt. As someone mentioned earlier there is arterial spray when tattooing which goes on your clothing, and then would transfer to your shirt.

Before asking ANYTHING you should check your state laws. If the state says use a cord, and machine bag you should do that. Here in Ontario they require both, and it’s just good practice. This really shouldnt be an issue since you could wrap your cord in Saran, and use a dollar store fold-lock sandwich bag for your machine. That’s like 0.000001$ per tattoo. It also shows your client your commitment to cleanliness, and sterilization, and this will bring them some ease, and comfort. Not to mention if there is a step you can take to BE more clean you SHOULD be doing it. Whether it’s required or not.

Just because I CAN use 90% bleach on my stuff to clean it, doesnt mean I’m going to stop using CaviCide.

Just because you CAN tattoo without covering your machine, or cord, doesnt mean you should, savy?

Spider
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

My main issue with the whole “Cord bag” situation is that the cord–depending on the piece–has an EXTREMELY high chance of touching the client, tattoo area, floor, or depending on how you tattoo YOU. Sometimes to get certain angles I hang my cord over my shoulder to get better leverage. By doing this I am contaminating my cord with my shirt. As someone mentioned earlier there is arterial spray when tattooing which goes on your clothing, and then would transfer to your shirt.

Before asking ANYTHING you should check your state laws. If the state says use a cord, and machine bag you should do that. Here in Ontario they require both, and it’s just good practice. This really shouldnt be an issue since you could wrap your cord in Saran, and use a dollar store fold-lock sandwich bag for your machine. That’s like 0.000001$ per tattoo. It also shows your client your commitment to cleanliness, and sterilization, and this will bring them some ease, and comfort. Not to mention if there is a step you can take to BE more clean you SHOULD be doing it. Whether it’s required or not.

Just because I CAN use 90% bleach on my stuff to clean it, doesnt mean I’m going to stop using CaviCide.

Just because you CAN tattoo without covering your machine, or cord, doesnt mean you should, savy?

right on!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan