• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

My new machine for stenciling, for 40$, I got it on Craigslist. I printed my first stencil and it was awesome. Question i have is “can i buy larger sizes of spirit paper?”

Jester
      Participant

Is it a dot matrix printer?

cjmahone66

that is rad, and a great price!

Yeah its a Dot Matrix (or impact Printer) Okidata Microline 591.
      It’s pretty awesome since I can print from Photoshop.
      It’s going to cut the 1+ hours stencil making and give it back to me so I can practice on more pigskin.

Jester
      Participant

I’ve been really thinking about getting one, but I’m a complete computer idiot.
      I have a Mac (everything is connect with usb). Anybody know if this is possible.

look for dot matrix compatibility listing from mac. There website should tell you what will work. The thing about mac is that they dont like you stepping out of there gear so good luck.

i got a dot matrix printer and let me tell you it cuts my pencil time way down. its not a thermal fax no heat involved. check it out on ebay, they are refurbished but they stand 100% behind their stuff. i love it check it out

MiniFox

I got a dot matrix printer thinking I could do the same thing before I even read this post. My problem is that I cannot find the driver to use it. Did you have this problem with yours? I’m running on windows XP and the printer is a riteman.

Jester
      Participant

I finally bought one, but it won’t work on my Mac.
      I hooked it up to an old pc that my kids use in the family room.
      Works awsome!!! I didn’t have the driver either. I found it on line
      and downloaded it for free.

ben.catterall
      Participant

That’s awesome! I have been wanting one for ages! Glad to hear they work well. Do you just use the normal spirit paper?

Jester
      Participant

Yes, regular spirit paper and set the resolution as high as you can.
      The detail is pretty awsome. I’m still working on “print scale”.
      It keeps reducing it :evil:

MiniFox

I have looked everywhere and it seems that there isn’t a driver for riteman. That’s why I asked… maybe I’ll go to a computer forum?
      That isn’t what this forum is really for is it? LOL
      Thanks anyways!!!

Sabio

Guys… If you have any issue with dot matrix Printer Drivers… Any PC running MS Windows OS either Business or Pro edition should be able to auto detect the printer, Home editions, I don’t believe it would have all the .DLL database complete… If you cant find it… send me a PM… I still do some consultant job inside the Military installation and they still use Dot Matrix for some old systems… I might be able to find some… just send me Brand and model… and for MAC… I been in IT for over 20 years and that is a dark area for me…even tho I can do a little bit of Pearl language…I don’t know shit about Mac…. except that you can install a Windows partition on it!!! ;)

Jester
      Participant

I gave up on hooking it up to my Mac.
      I put it downstairs and hooked it up to an old PC.
      The only problem that I’m having now is scale.
      If I copy a drawing from my Mac to a thumb drive,
      then try to open it up on the PC, it resizes it. Makes
      it about 20% smaller. If I could just figure it out, I
      would be happy.

Sabio

Jester,

You can install MS Works for MAC and transfer it that way or use any Photoshop Product and save it as .JPEG… but I haven’t play with a Dot matrix in a long time so i don’t know if it will like .JPEG or .BMP…

Sabio

FrancoLewis

@donovangesting wrote:

My new machine for stenciling, for 40$, I got it on Craigslist. I printed my first stencil and it was awesome. Question i have is “can i buy larger sizes of spirit paper?”

I think so,you can buy a larger spirit paper. And,congrats on your new machine!

WARNING – You have to look at Windows site for driver compatibility to your OS. I was luck to know to look for that. You can not just buy and hook up. Also look to make sure your using the correct file format for the printer to read. SO check out your Operating System compatibility with your chosen Printer.

Yes you can use any spirit paper but make sure your getting the real stuff made in USA. The other german and chinesse stuff was horrible. Also you will have to lighten the image a lot to get a soft stencil unless you can adjust the printers pressure but mines not that high end.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan