Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      doink
      Participant

Im new here so hi everyone.

I had a couple of questions I couldn’t find answers for so anyone can give words of advice or even point me to the right post, it would be tremendously appreciated :)

1) How much stress should there be with the rubber band in place holding the needle? Ive played around with different variations but would like a concrete answer. If its too tight the machine gets stuck. I want to find the right tension for this.

2) There’s a lot of room where needle grommet attaches to the a-bar. Should I clinch the grommet tighter so that it doesn’t wiggle around so much? I’m concerned because it shifts the needle when I think i’ve set it correctly.

3) I’ve read that the needle should be even with the tip of the tube for liners. Is this just a personal choice?

4) How much should mags be sticking out of the tube?

5) How deep should I be puncturing the skin? I’ve read 1/8″ to 3/16″ is this correct?

Thats pretty much it for now.

Sorry for all the newbie questions……..

But thanks to anyone in advance for guidance :D

CR Jordan

1) How much stress should there be with the rubber band in place holding the needle? Ive played around with different variations but would like a concrete answer. If its too tight the machine gets stuck. I want to find the right tension for this.

ANSWER: This is something you have to feel. If you use standard black bands – they should “by default” be the right tattoo machine tension!

2) There’s a lot of room where needle grommet attaches to the a-bar. Should I clinch the grommet tighter so that it doesn’t wiggle around so much? I’m concerned because it shifts the needle when I think i’ve set it correctly.

ANSWER: Use paper towels!! no need to cinch the thing.

3) I’ve read that the needle should be even with the tip of the tube for liners. Is this just a personal choice?
      ANSWER: This is preference – you have to experiment. The depth that it goes into the skin is important, not the amount sticking out of the tube.

4) How much should mags be sticking out of the tube?
      ANSWER: Personal preference of the tattoo artist here.

5) How deep should I be puncturing the skin? I’ve read 1/8″ to 3/16″ is this correct?
      ANSWER: Less than a dime – experiment on yourself, watch the healing process, take photos and document. Ask the person you are apprenticing under!

Hope that helps!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan