Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      TexasPT

I see this all the time. I hear guys on other forums, professional artists, bitching about “scratchers”. I noticed on Craigslist where guys are looking for artists they specify, no scratchers.

So…

Just for grins I looked at Rebel Ink’s edition that had the 25 most sought after tattoo artists. More than HALF said they started in their living rooms, bar-rooms, club houses, abandoned houses, on friends, on themselves, and on anyone who would let them. Most of the best in the world were scratchers.

I understand the cleanliness aspect of it. I just don’t get the blanket-rule animosity.

Viper65

Plain and simple…they are afraid your better than they are….. ;)

I say screw these jack-wads, everyone including THEM started somewhere they just dont want you taking away what precious little business they have.

madman23420

amen brother. i myself started out being scratched on and scratching on a few family members at a young age. finally i bought a kit so i could fix a few of my tats that i got from other scratchers.it would have cost me 10 times as much to have them fixed professionally.anyways i got my kit and started fixing myself and now i only have about 2 tats out of 14 on myself that need any work.and after a few people found out i got a machine it seemed like everyone i knew and many i didnt know started begging me to tattoo them. i was very hesitant at first but then i started trying to fix a few of my close friends tats and i got alot of compliments on my work. now ive gotten very serious about trying to get a license so i can do tattoos for a living but in my state you have to have at least a 9 month apprenticeship before you can get a license.and they are very hard to get. there are very few tattoo shops in my area and most of them dont even want to talk to you about an apprenticeship.so i feel the pain of anyone else who is in my shoes.all i can say is im gonna keep trying and so should anyone else who has this kinda problem.

jcarmack
      Participant

You can go to Louisiana to The World’s Only Tattoo School. It’s a licensed and accredited trade school in Louisiana and after completing their program you will meet the licensing requirement in any state. Here’s a link to their website. http://tattoo-school.com/

Spider
      Participant

One mans scratcher is another mans artist. Or whatever. Saying that because the top post is absolutely right. “shops” hate out of fear that they will get less work and actually have to start turning out good customer service, better ink and so on to stay inking. We recently got started on opening a retail location and I started looking for an artist. Found a guy working in an apartment near a college that has never worked in a shop before. But he has been inking for 5 years and his work is good. Sure he has some things to learn, but who cares imo. Ceasar the Hun is a top notch artist from Hungary (I think) and prides himself on being completely self-taught. Shop stuff can be learned. The only time I have ever used the term scratcher is to describe the guys who have inked people who have come to me asking me to fix this or that. When I see a tribal that the inside is totally pink when it was supposed to be black, and lines that look like that were done in the back of truck on a dirt road at night while driving at high speed with no lights, That is scratcher work…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes it is really very necessary for maintaining cleanliness while tattooing they give an very good strategy about it.

I say with no shame, I am a scratcher, I’m beeing carful to be my best, and I will be one of those “sought after” artists one day! No shame in the game, just don’t be careless, and don’t lie.

SparkEater72

The difference between a scratcher and a potential tattoo artist is the scope of their work.

Yes, plenty of professional tattoo artists started in their kitchens… and hacked their way to experience… to develop a solid portfolio. While many try this… few are successful at it (Few in comparison the numbers… in the thousands… that try)

If you can build a solid portfolio that shows capability and competence at the craft you may make the jump from underground to professional status. Your first stop will probably be a street shop (like so many of these ‘famous’ cats you mention) where you’ll grind it out and deal with shit for a few years until you learn the environment, on-demand designs, and how to deal with customer bullshit. Take the time to improve your portfolio, hit the conventions, make some connections and move on up out of the gutter.

BTW… few seem to know this anymore…

Scratcher = timid tattooer, usually inexperienced and untrained who barely pushes the ink.
      Scab Vendor= someone who hacks the ever loving shit out of victims (not clients) a.k.a Hacks
      Kitchen Wizard= usually inexperienced bullshit artist running parties from place to place and acting like the know some shit.

gregtatts
      Participant

Hi I’m a scratcher n av bin for 2-3 yrs I’ve follow rules n regulations  ov tattooing by the book although I do it at home I love it I’ve posted pics ov my machines and work n had it criticized to make me better I say love the work keep it clean n keep learning n one day u never no

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan