• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      mussie

i know i only posted a load of my work up yesterday, but i did this new one on my bad leg yesterday and it’s my first go at many different techniques, colour mixing and different needles. im really happy with the overall tattoo but i do not want to get into the trap of overlooking my work because i like it. i do want to darken the hair at the base of each swirl, add some eyelashes, decorate the dress and at a later date put tattoo’s on her arm /shoulder. :)

mussie

thought id post up the same tattoo in 2 different light sources as it’s hard to get it looking as good as it does in real life (camara poor quality)

Viper65

You did what someone at your skill level “should” be doing and be expected to be doing, which is good, matter of fact I think its great. The work on this has a few flaws here and there, again, for your skill level its decent work. Youve got to really be smooth with outlines when doing this type of work, the slightest wobble in a arm really makes things get wonky really quick, looks like youve got a couple here and there, nothing at all serious that I can tell but something to keep in mind for future work. A flawless outline means everything with all tattoo’s and especially ones involving the human body. The face has a cat like feel, probably placement style of the eye, nose, etc..Its not heavily worked, matter of fact to me its basically worked which for you is a plus as your not at a level to really going into indepth details so keep something relatively simple is in your best interest until you learn a few more tricks. The facial features are a bit strange, not bad, but a bit strange and probably that has a lot to do with the details that make a fine tattoo. Overall I cant beat it up too much as i think its a progression and thats what your looking for in your work, progression. Nice job, keep at it.

mussie

thankyou :) im not sure what went wrong with the facial features, i put the stencil over it and it’s the same but appears different.it could be the angle as it’s my busted up leg and looks deformed. ( i put the tattoo on this leg to take the eye away from the deformatiy i have in the limb) ive left it plain on purpose so i can go back at a later date, and you advise to learn a few more tricks is great advice as it will allow me to create a better finished tattoo.
      any advise on what extra tricks i should be looking at, and asking to be taught. :)

Viper65

I can only comment on so much, youd need a much higher res photo to really check out details. From what I can see though I can tell you the jawline is a little wacky as it drops in the middle, jawlines dont normally do that on women or men unless there a lot of fat pulling them down… :lol: The lips and chin area look to be pushed in..again, its the angle of the face that does this and you need shadow and highlight to make them appear realistic. The nose is probably my biggest issue, it looks cocked for some reason….dont take this as me beating you up, it worked out overall and its a great effort on your part. You got to remember the stencil wont always be correct, its our job to make sure its anatomically correct and looks correct on the client as well before we apply ink!!!!

mussie

@Viper65 wrote:

I can only comment on so much, youd need a much higher res photo to really check out details. From what I can see though I can tell you the jawline is a little wacky as it drops in the middle, jawlines dont normally do that on women or men unless there a lot of fat pulling them down… :lol: The lips and chin area look to be pushed in..again, its the angle of the face that does this and you need shadow and highlight to make them appear realistic. The nose is probably my biggest issue, it looks cocked for some reason….dont take this as me beating you up, it worked out overall and its a great effort on your part. You got to remember the stencil wont always be correct, its our job to make sure its anatomically correct and looks correct on the client as well before we apply ink!!!!

:D i know your not beating it up, it was a hard one to take on i guess as it’s the human body and it’s one of the more technical things for most artist to get right. i see what you mean by the jawline, i think i wonked it up when i was shading, but i have a lil space to straighten that up at some point. the nose i think i need to put a better tip on it to form it more and not make it so rounded. i would’nt attempt this on a client just yet until i felt better about my lining, but im quite happy to wreck my skin as it will tell it’s own story :lol:

Rees

Cant really get zoomed in on it, but it looks pretty good from here. Did you use white as a contrast in the hair? I couldn’t tell if it was the light source making it look that way. I’ve been obsessing on how to make some good textured realistic hair lately, as I want to try a portrait soon.

mussie
      Rees wrote:
      Cant really get zoomed in on it, but it looks pretty good from here. Did you use white as a contrast in the hair? I couldn’t tell if it was the light source making it look that way. I’ve been obsessing on how to make some good textured realistic hair lately, as I want to try a portrait soon.[/quot

i did try and pop some white contrasts and highlights in, some places took better than others. it was actually watching a portrait artist that inspired me to do this one as id love to do portraits,and no one local will do portraits here. an amazing guy to watch for portraits is anil gupter on youtube, you really get to see how he puts together amazing portraits and hair texture etc :)

Looking good :) My suggestion for the hair, would be to study how hair is done in traditional Japanese tattoos, and use that style to bolden and darken the hair :)

mussie

@KitchenWizard wrote:

Looking good :) My suggestion for the hair, would be to study how hair is done in traditional Japanese tattoos, and use that style to bolden and darken the hair :)

:) i do want to go and darken the hair but i was getting too sore lol and back was aching bending over doing my thigh. overall id like to darken the hair, pop a better tip on the nose, straighten the jaw line, put eyelashes in, pattern the dress and when im much better id like to tattoo her arm and shoulder :) but all in time. i only intended on getting the outline done when i first started on this one but got carried away :lol:

TexasPT

I’m going to have to jump on the bandwagon and say the hair is the weak part of this one. If you went darker, and EVENED the shading out so it creates a highlighted line rather than all over it would pay dividends. Maybe a little shading in the flower…it looks real painted on.

I like the piece and I think it’s all an easy fix.

Mark

mussie

@TexasPT wrote:

I’m going to have to jump on the bandwagon and say the hair is the weak part of this one. If you went darker, and EVENED the shading out so it creates a highlighted line rather than all over it would pay dividends. Maybe a little shading in the flower…it looks real painted on.

I like the piece and I think it’s all an easy fix.

Mark

thankyou :) i have left it basic as it was getting real sore and it’s on my deformed damaged leg, so the sensation’s were getting too much (shooting pains into foot and hip due to severe nerve damage). i wanted to darker the hair but i could’nt stand it to keep going, theres definatly a few more bits i want to go back and do, but i have to wait until my leg is having a good day which is few and far between. it’s not finished by far but when i started it i only intended on getting lined but i got carried away lol :lol:

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan