• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      tat2theEarth

I’ve tried using practice skin since I got my kit, problem is I can’t get it to wipe clean at all, I start out ok, then my piece looks like shit cause of all the excess ink in my way. Please help

Valencia

You can clean it a little bit using an eraser after you finish it. It works for me

giliegil

a&d or vaseline and some hard scrubbin with paper towel then green soap and wipe – that’s what worked for me – hope it works for you ……. 8-)

tat2theEarth

Ok thanks I will try it I was just using soap and water

Loopi

might sound sill but are you coating it in vaseline once you have the stencil on?

My practice skin was really thirsty was a matter of having a steady amount of vaseline to coat on, kinda good though as it gets you in that thought of mind for the human skin and blood!

cjmahone66

@Loopi wrote:

might sound sill but are you coating it in vaseline once you have the stencil on?

My practice skin was really thirsty was a matter of having a steady amount of vaseline to coat on, kinda good though as it gets you in that thought of mind for the human skin and blood!

if you are still using vaseline during tattooing of humans, you need to rethink your procedures and do some research.
      vaseline is petrolium based and will start to break down latex gloves in 3 minutes, nitrile gloves will last about 10. so unless you are doing a glove change every 10 minutes, vaseline increases your risks.

Loopi

@cjmahone66 wrote:

@Loopi wrote:

if you are still using vaseline during tattooing of humans, you need to rethink your procedures and do some research.
      vaseline is petrolium based and will start to break down latex gloves in 3 minutes, nitrile gloves will last about 10. so unless you are doing a glove change every 10 minutes, vaseline increases your risks.

Yes we use vaseline and use non latex gloves so to avoid the possibility of a client having an allergic reaction.

just curious, how does this help with the original question?

cjmahone66

it is related because vaseline use was brought up in this discussion.
      should i just keep my mouth shut unless asked a specific question? should i not offer information that could be helpful (or save a life) without a direct request?

Johnny

Loopi is pretty argumentive.. I think I spelled that wrong. I personally hate vasoline. I don’t even know what purpose it serves in the world other than a cheap alternative to a and d ointment (maybe wheel bearing grease?) Couldn’t even use it for butt lube cause it would eat ur condom away… I’d rather use mayonayse and mustard to tattoo with than vasoline… Mmmmmm

Johnny

Oh ya good call mahonski

cjmahone66

@Johnny wrote:

Loopi is pretty argumentive.. I think I spelled that wrong. I personally hate vasoline. I don’t even know what purpose it serves in the world other than a cheap alternative to a and d ointment (maybe wheel bearing grease?) Couldn’t even use it for butt lube cause it would eat ur condom away… I’d rather use mayonayse and mustard to tattoo with than vasoline… Mmmmmm

that’s exactly right. if you know it breaks down condoms, why would you use it when tattooing?
      just because some ‘old timer’ or mentor has been using it for 30 years, doesn’t mean he couldn’t have been wrong for the past 30 years.

nytemareh
      Participant

i hope you guys realize that a and d ointment is made from petrolatum. in fact 53.4% of it is petrolatum. Which is the same ingredient used in vaseline. To go further, mineral oil is also present in both A & D as well as vaseline. Both perolatum and mineral oil break down latex. So if you are using a and d, or vaseline then you should be using nitrile gloves. I have no idea why people don’t see that a and d is nothing more than vaseline with aloe and vitamin d. If ether is being used you should be changing latex gloves every 10-15 minutes. Also, on a side note you should have nitrile, and latex gloves anyways. You should also be asking if the client has a latex, or nitrile sensitivity/allergy.

Johnny

Nightmare, I am well aware that a and d is petroleum based. I’m pretty sure cj is too. But hey thanks for pointing out the obvious.

nytemareh
      Participant

I was not trying to state something, you, I, or cj may know. More towards people who don’t know. As i can’t count how may times I have read don’t use vaseline it destroys latex. Use A&D instead. Just putting clear info out for people is all. Sorry if you took it the wrong way jonny.

Johnny

Ya that came out kind of dick like but I was only kidding. One real awesome thing about vasoline is I always see artists with these enormous jars of it that they use for (I am assuming) like 10000 clients. Giant vasoline jars seem like a cozy place for bacteria to live. I always assumed that we live in a single use world when were opening peoples skin up. To all you kitchen cowboys out there… If ur gonna be a dick and use vasoline, at least use foil packs.

nytemareh
      Participant

Gotta love the giant vaseline jar. I use a&d myself, and get it in the small tubes. I give what is left to the client. Show them what i mean by a very thin layer, and only use it for 2-3 days max.

Loopi

From what I see I am the only Irish person on this site and I can only go by what my mentor teaches me.

We dont have a and e ointment in Ireland. Also in the US i have seen people on “how to” videos use deodorant sticks, I am not one hundred percent sure what makes up your deodorant sticks but in Ireland our deodorant is mostly spray or roll on (device with a ball on top).

Obviously the materials we use are going to be different but the end result is just the same. Vaseline is used as a lubricant here we put it on the side of our tattoo hand to allow your hand slide for smooth lines and also it forms a shield between the ink that is inserted in to the skin and the “excess” ink. We use Bepanthan (baby nappy rash cream) or Preperation H (piles cream) for the after care.

Also this green soap, we dont have we use a diluted compound of a anti bacterial and water.

Just because I dont speak the same lingo doesnt mean I am any lesser than you.

Johnny

Nobody said they were any better than you, and I would personally hate for someone to think that I was insinuating that I was. You have a lot to learn, and seem to be taking an interesting approach to getting advice. I would like to help you. Keep in mind, the people you are asking for advice on here, have the right to pick and choose who they wish to lend their hard earned knowledge to.

Loopi

I am not getting big for my boots, and I am not meaning to come across B*tchy.

I have a big personality and lack of tone on these messages come across monotone and are being read multiple ways.

ben.catterall
      Participant

I noticed that you guys are saying dont use petroleum based products… Do you have a suggestion for a replacement product? I always use Nitrile gloves unless there is an allergy or sensitivity to it, however have not found anything good to use except a&d or vasoline. Suggestions??? :)

Viper65

Has anyone ever actually had a glove fall apart or breakdown when using vasoline? Not trying to be a dick, but really have you ever had one break down? I use A&D personally but that is because its available and I understand those of you in other countries where its not using vasoline, if that’s what you have then that is what you use. Im not sure there is actually a correct answer on which one to use though..
      As far as the old timer question, I have to go with “if It was good enough for them then its probably good enough for me”, those old timers did some pretty amazing work in the day and I have to give them credit where deserved. ;)

nytemareh
      Participant

It is not a matter of the glove breaking down to the point of falling off your hands. A little research and you can find all the info you need. I use A&D and nitrile gloves. I change gloves often. The thing that i was taught being in the medical field is that you never know what a person does or does not have. Always error on the side of being overly safe for yourself and the person involved.

I have always used vaseline, and never had a glove breakdown on me. However. Having done a piece on a friend who had a latex allergy a while back, I now only use the black nitrile gloves, as it saves the issues all round :)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I use a product made by SOLabs called PurTect :)

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan