• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

When I was younger I had given myself a few tattoos and as they were healing they’d get a pretty gnarly scab over them, what exactly causes this.It’s just supposed to flake and kind of peel is it not? Am i maybe going too deep, or working too fast?

TexasPT

Usually too deep, or overworking the skin. Scabbing happens now and then…some people just bleed more than others. I’ve found the more efficient I am with my tattooing the less likely there is to be scabs.

Thanks! I’ve used flat needles the last couple times and it hasn’t scabbed as much as round shaders seem to.

wrathone11
      Participant

Round shaders tend to make it a lot easier to overwork the skin which in turn can cause more scabbing. The way a round shader group is set and works is more condensed than with a flat mag. This can make it seem easier faster packing color in, but it also means you’re hitting a smaller area of skin with more needles which equals more damage. I try to stay away from round shaders as much as possible, I typically will only pull one out if I’m sculpting some really heavy outlines in large pieces.

Hope the info helped

leena

Doesn’t look too bad. Heavy black work like this tends to scab up pretty good, in my experience anyways. I would disagree with the artist however and recommend you use some lotion on that, something gentle like aveeno. It will help the healing and stop the itching. Just don’t pick at the scabs. You may lose some color, but that is not uncommon either. When it is good and healed, in about 4-6 weeks, go back to the artist and have him touch it up. He should do this free of charge.

Ladysinaz
      Participant

I have found that washing the tattoo thoroughly with antibacterial dishsoap and making sure all of that slimyness of the plasma is gone.
      Gently pat it dry with new clean papertowel and applying non scented, non alcohol ,moisturizing lotion to be the best i have found so far for keeping color, and avoiding scabs.

Once it starts getting that shiny slimy tight feel/look ^^repeat
      If there is no plasma / blood on the skin, there is nothing to scab

Jbeaufosho

I’m really happy to see people recommending lotion for after care. Aquphor makes a lotion (not the salve) that is amazing for aftercare. I was hesitant to first start using lotion on my tattoos but once I did I’ve never had tattoos heal so fast and dark. Works amazing. And yeah overworking is probably the most likely culprit for scabbing. Round shaders are fucking useless for most shading/coloring, unless its really small. Someone else explained it well as far as more needles causing more trauma to smaller surface areas. Woven mags are best. Especially if you’re starting out. Flats can be awesome too but they need a little tweaking if you want them to work right, and they can tear up a client really easily if not used right. Also make sure you’re angling your shader as you’re filling. Almost at a 45* angle. It helps. Anyway good luck!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I got some 0.25oz of Redemption from Tattoo Stuff, and everyone I gave it to loved it. Personally I use the ointment I use during the tattoo process–PurTect–on myself. After Inked is also a great product. Stay away from Petroleum based products.

Ladysinaz
      Participant

I’ve found that the ointments have a nasty habit of sucking ink out.
      For example i used to use those, i would apply some and use a paper towel to blot the excess. i had the imprint of the tattoo on the paper towel, it’s like it would keep it open to ooze longer.
      Vitamin E ointment was a big goto around here for a long time. the drug stores got wise to this and started labeling stuff for tattoo use.
      A lot of ppl ended up being allergic to it, getting blotchy and little red bumps around the tattoo.

When i switched to the wash hands, wash tattoo, blot, apply lotion i “might” get some transfer that first time, but that’s it.

PS if the paper towel sticks to the tattoo while blotting, you didn’t wash it good enuf.. back to the sink ;)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Ive been getting tattooed for 6 years, and been tattooing for three, and I’ve never had an issue with ink or anything during any of my tattoos. Probably putting way to much on, or putting it on too early. I always let my tattoos air dry for at LEAST one hour before applying my after care product. This way I am not locking in any of the water my skin may have absorbed during cleaning.

Ladysinaz
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

Ive been getting tattooed for 6 years, and been tattooing for three, and I’ve never had an issue with ink or anything during any of my tattoos. Probably putting way to much on, or putting it on too early. I always let my tattoos air dry for at LEAST one hour before applying my after care product. This way I am not locking in any of the water my skin may have absorbed during cleaning.

6 whole yrs ;)
      j/k

My idea is that common sense isn’t common and most people can’t follow instructions
      I dare say a lot of ppl put too much. I try to stick to the easiest / less hassle way of doing it that will also produce great results.
      I’ve done training in various different subjects.. dumbing it down is generally the best way to get a consistent result.

wash/blot/lotion .. don’t touch it …wash/blot/lotion lather rinse repeat

Wash/let air dry for an hour/apply ointment but not too much (how much is too much/too little)
      also if not covered, dirt and dust and what not is more likely to stick to the ointment.. and you know when you tell them not to touch it, at all, let alone with dirty hands.. They are going to touch it, someone is going to smack it cause it’s funny adding more stuff stuck to it and then they are going to apply more, rubbing it all into the tattoo.

When you figure out your own way of healing tattoos that works well for you.. that is awesome. Everyone is different, so for the general public. KISS is the best way ;)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sometimes it rarely happens you should be preventive from such type of stuffs that would be better for you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan