• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      DiscoMoney

So I got denied last time I applied at a shop. The guy said he liked my work and wanted me to go in and do a tattoo to prove myself, but then ignored me right after I left. So I’ve been trying out new stuff to help build a better portfolio and this is my newest piece of work. It’s the weird looking skull and tentacles at the bottom of the page. http://www.benzacharias.portfoliobox.me/tattoosany feedback would be greatly appreciated as I’m thinking of trying to get into a shop soon.

Infamous
      Participant

What the heck? He got you to do a tattoo in his shop for him and then completely ignored you?

Sounds like he was just using you to me.

DiscoMoney

Sorry if that was unclear. He told me he wanted me to come in and do a tattoo, but I never got to. After I walked out after the interview he started ignoring my emails and was never around at the shop when I went there.

Infamous
      Participant

Oh okay, that does sound better.

I don’t really know what to say about the tattoo, it’s really cartoony but I don’t know if that’s what you were going for or not. I guess it depends on what the client wanted in the design. Technique wise, however, it looks like a good solid piece. Could use more depth though. a little shading and some highlights can go a long ways.

DiscoMoney

Thanks. My work tends to be more on the cartoony side because that’s what I’ve always drawn. And I wasn’t sure about shadows or highlights because I’ve never done anything like this. It was just something I sketched up for fun that my brother said was awesome and he wanted

Infamous
      Participant

As long as the client is happy that’s all that really matters.

But, I think you have potential to be a lot better than what you’re doing and I think you should practice a bit more often. This looks good, but it doesn’t look amazing. You know what I mean?

DiscoMoney

Ok. Thanks for the advice. And ya, I’ve seen stuff like this thats a lot more eye catching

fortunes

You got good hand. Keep on practicing, it will pay off :)

I just checked it out and I have to be honest on a couple of things, but first I think that this question may answer most of it. How long have you been tattooing for now?

here is what I see. it looks like you battle shading and color fade out. both are very similar. when trying to blend a color with another or just trying to get the gradation from solid saturated color (may it be black or any other pigment) should fade out into skin or the next color you are trying to blend.

I am not a big fan of the design its self but that part should not matter. art may be interpreted differently bu different people, but technique is what seems to lack here.

I am not taking a jab at you here, hope you understand that. its the only way to get better.

may want to look into slowing your machine down a bit. this will help (in my own opinion of course) smooth out your shading.

I cant really give you much on advice on technique till I know what technique you were using on this piece. for example did you use the circle technique or the passing back and forth?

how fast was your machine running?

are you using short tapered or long tapered needles?

DiscoMoney

I’ve been tattooig for about 3 years, but not full time because I have a job and a family to take care of. As for my machine speed i use a stealth and run it at 6 volts. Because I haven’t been able to do this as a full time job it has taken me a while to be my technique working. I primarily go in circular motions and gadually go lighter to fade it out for colour blending. But I also whip shade or do the scrubbing motion. And as for not liking the design, that’s fine. My goal is to make the client happy.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan