• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      TMTT_User

I have a light-touch by superior, was a pretty weak machine – but since it is so light… I changed out the coils and A-Bar.
      Huge difference. Actually perfect for soft greys with the way I tattoo.

alldead

That’s interesting. I heard all Superior is crap but it makes sense to change out the weak parts. I outta do that. I’m using iron, brass, and stainless steel frames with plastic tubes. The balance isn’t exactly ideal.

Light Touch machine by superior is really light weight frame. I am not sure what type of metal it is.. I am using a yolk though with it. (which you should use if you are not using a conductive metal frame) – Plastic tubes are the way to go. They even have some large Mag tubes – from Kingpin available now. which is really good.

nyz_name

there are no bad machines out there when your talking about just the frame which is basicaly what you striped your light weight down to but everyone has there personal choices on machines cause no two people set there machines up the same and no two people tattoo in the same manner everyone has there own style
      in order to buy anything from kingpin you have to have a shop license and most who are on this board and that use disposable tubes are not licensed i would recommend a site like technical international supply they have 1″ grip disposable tubes there and are of a good quality plus there fairly inexpensive

Quote from Book Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo: “
      As mentioned in the section about metals, the frame is the bulk of the metal on the machine. There are infinite styles of machine frames available. Some machine frames are cast from a mold and others are milled out of a solid block of metal. Additionally, some machine frames are component-based; they will have all the different parts held together by bolts, instead of being one solid piece of metal. Machines that have a component-base frame can become loose, and require maintenance to maintain their consistency, but it depends on the manufacturer and quality, like all other things.

The way the frame looks on the side is argued to be only superficial by some, and countered by others to be a prime source of magnetic field origination. This second group argues that the amount of metal content in the frame will determine the effectiveness of the magnetic fields created by the electrical system.

The frame is Def. Not “the machine” – Unimax is a good supplier as well – but beware you really need to get with a good company for quality machine parts – and most quality companies will only sell to licensed studio employee / owners! Get an apprenticeship and USE plastic tubes!!!!

Mid-Evil-Ink

I’m new on here so I will make this short so I can get back to looking over this site. ;) My name is Ron.and I have been tattooing for 9 hard years. You can make any machine work like it was made by hand. most of the companies that sell to any-one sell machine’s that are made on a assembly line( like suppirior) I have been to thir shop and factory. If you take the time to buy good parts and spend alot of time studing ur tools then you can customize your cheaper machines. to run good.My first machines were passed down to me from my mentor. he had them for about 10 years and then passed them on .I have only had to work on them once. so take you time and learn your tools. no framer jumped right in to biulding homes without knowing his tools. And remember no ??? is a stupid ???

nyz_name

i would agree that the frame is just the frame and not the machine itself but nor is just the coils or just the springs and so on all the pieces put together make a machine and from what you posted you had stripped your superior machine down to the frame and replaced everything else pretty much you seem to not know a lot about tattooing in general when you quote bs from other people and talk of covering ps with barrier film and many other things on this site i have read and just why do you make post asking questions under one screen name and then make post in the same thread under another ? along with you claiming this to be a site promoting getting an apprenticeship versus tattooing out of your home but you also make statements in the same quote to use plastic tubes when if you are getting a traditional apprenticeship there mentor would show them the right way to use a autoclave to sterilize metal tubes and tips which are far better imo also you fail to realize that many professional tattooist tattoo at there homes and other peoples homes as well as there shop its all in the way you do your prep work that would make the tattoo area unsafe to tattoo in with out good prep work even a shop is a bad place to tattoo in and a shop is no different than a house unless owning one gives you some kinda magical automatic sterilizing power. tattooing without a license anywhere is illegal because you have to prove not that you know how to tattoo but you know how to sterilize and that you know about bbp and cc and i have seen a lot of shop that dont know much how to tattoo nor about how to properly sterilize and i have seen a lot of people who work from home that care more for the art than anyone you will find in a shop any ways thats my rant for the board

Okay nyz_name: I am going to assume that the last post you made was directed at me?

YOU SAID: “i would agree that the frame is just the frame and not the machine itself but nor is just the coils or just the springs and so on all the pieces put together make a machine and from what you posted you had stripped your superior machine down to the frame and replaced everything else”

MY RESPONSE: I was simply saying that frames do not play too much into the overall tuning of the machine, as long as geometry is identical – you will get similar if not exactly same results. Coils are NOT just coils, and springs are NOT just springs. I stand by my statement on that issue, there are massive implications of using lower end springs and coils, even on a good frame. Where you could (by my example of superior light touch) put higher end springs and coils on a lower end frame and get a huge increase in effect.

YOU SAID: “pretty much you seem to not know a lot about tattooing in general when you quote bs from other people and talk of covering ps with barrier film and many other things on this site i have read”

MY RESPONSE: I am sorry if I do not seem knowledgeable about tattooing to you, and I do not think covering your Power Supply with barrier protection is B.S. – I actually think that any tool that has opportunity to come in contact with bodily fluid should be barrier protected, unless you are going to change your gloves each time you want to adjust your voltage on the P.S. – then you should have it covered with barrier film, or a baggies.

YOU SAID: “along with you claiming this to be a site promoting getting an apprenticeship versus tattooing out of your home but you also make statements in the same quote to use plastic tubes when if you are getting a traditional apprenticeship”

MY RESPONSE: I think that people are going to tattoo at home regardless – and the actual issue is the supply companies selling to anyone, not this website. The supply companies do not seem to offer a FREE sterilization guide – or a free autoclave.. Most people who buy stuff from a kit – have no clue even how to use it except for Huck’s A-Z.. haha! So I cannot make an apology for promoting using plastic tubes and tips. Please refer yourself to a lot of professional top tier artists that use plastic tubes and tips in the best studios across the world. It is my opinion that even if an autoclave is properly used (which most the itme is not) in studios, that spore tests are not properly done, and the autoclave is not properly PMCS (Preventative Maintenance Checks Service) to win my trust. As stated earlier – If people (such as yourself) who can barely convey a complete sentence – are expected to be trusted to run a medical grade autoclave – then I would rather see metal tubes and tips outlawed, unless under direct supervision of a medical professional.

YOU SAID “there mentor would show them the right way to use a autoclave to sterilize metal tubes and tips which are far better imo also you fail to realize that many professional tattooist tattoo at there homes and other peoples homes as well as there shop its all in the way you do your prep work that would make the tattoo area unsafe to tattoo in with out good prep work even a shop is a bad place to tattoo in and a shop is no different than a house unless owning one gives you some kinda magical automatic sterilizing power.”

MY RESPONSE: wow.. that is so confusing.. sorry – I don’t think that owing a shop (or a home – couldn’t tell what you meant exactly) gives you some kinda magical automatic sterilizing power.

YOU SAID: “tattooing without a license anywhere is illegal because you have to prove not that you know how to tattoo but you know how to sterilize and that you know about bbp and cc”

MY RESPONSE: This is simply FALSE – Many states do NOT require you have a license, and only minimal requirements for the business license are enforced / required. Always check with local Health Dept. and utilize OSHA guidelines when dealing with bodily fluid potential exposure.

YOU SAID: “and i have seen a lot of shop that dont know much how to tattoo nor about how to properly sterilize and i have seen a lot of people who work from home that care more for the art than anyone you will find in a shop”

MY RESPONSE: . I think I agree with you.
      : )

poppalung

I bought a raven machine from superior, I was very suprised when i opened the box and relized that the frame is PLASTIC!!!! it makes the machine really light but i had problems with it right out of the box! I had to scrape excess plastic from the bottom of the spring plate where the power cord connects, and it still dosent run consistently. It cuts in and out when you move the machine. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to remedy this problem? i tried putting washers in there to help the flow of electricty, but it didnt help to much. I like the feel and light weight of the machine but am ready to scrap it for parts……….. thanks

Raven Machine:
      I think this idea is really cool actually – I have not used Raven yet though.
      You said “where the power cord connects” does it use RCA jack? or is it clip cord?
      Can you send a photo and draw and arrow on it where you think the electricity is not making good connection…
      have you contacted superior tattoo company?
      I think they would be happy to help you –
      Typically most tattoo machines work the same way with regards to electricity.
      but with a plastic frame, there should be a metal connection of some sort on the top clip cord hole – because this is where most tattoo machine frames will just pull power through the metal frame to complete the circuit.
      Hope this helps some – more info provided would let me answer better though.
      Best of luck…

Check out the wiki
      https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/wiki

poppalung

[attachment=0:s6nkjhv2]tatgun2.jpg[/attachment:s6nkjhv2]This is the under side of the spring plate, it had excess plastic around the hole that I had scraped away. The screw that holds the spring to the plate is hollow for the clipcord to go into. I tried placing a small washer on the clipcord :idea: , flat on the bottom of the plate, it helped a little but the machine still cuts out :evil: . I haven’t contacted superior yet, but thats my next step. thanks again…..

I see –
      it is almost like the only contact is that the clip cord HAS to hit the spring… so i can see where the problem would stem.
      You might want to get RCA jack Hookup for it…
      http://www.PulseTattoo.com has some – I think Eikon has some as well.
      Just bypass the clip cord on that machine all together.
      to get a solid connection.
      I would replace the coils too – I don’t really care for superior coils –
      Check out Eikon’s coils – Pulse makes great coils as well…
      Work Horse irons used to sell hand made coils – not sure if they still do…

Coils will make a huge difference on the machine operation though…

you fucked up with that purchase…

but an RCA setup can be built from radio shack a lot cheaper. i do mine with sub-mini jacks.

inkhead9

yeah i brought a raven liner for an apprentice about 12 months ago and has no punch, changed the coils, cap and springs and kept same coils and now works a treat, and yeah the frame is plastic which gives a really light feel, i used it a few weeks ago on him and found wasnt too bad but i do prefer something alittle heavier.

I have found that most superior machines use plastic insulated coil bobbins – best have a paint or tape insulator. Gives more punch – a little heavier wrap wire helps as well.. Coil quality is something that you dont want to skimp on!
      With tattoo machines.

Jester
      Participant

@sioneproduktions wrote:

but an RCA setup can be built from radio shack a lot cheaper. i do mine with sub-mini jacks.

I agree – I use Ravens, and haven’t had a problem with them. They’re definately not a $300 machine, but they are a huge step
      up from the china crap that I started with. I built RCA jacks from radio shack parts, and have no issues with my connection.

Jbeaufosho

Just to throw in my two cents, connecticut doesn’t require any kind of licensing to tattoo professionally (not saying this is necessarily a good thing or in any way down playing the impedance of an apprenticeship, but it’s a fact) also if you’ve never heard of using barrier protection on your power supply (something you’re touching several times during the tattoo process and can be potentially damaged by harsh chemicals used for clean up) don’t you think you oughtta rethink your methods? (imo) however concerning the subject at hand I have personally experienced taking a lower end frame and fitting it with high end parts. That machine is now my workhorse liner and I love it. You can see what I use in my previous post (titled “pulse”) happy slingin!

Jbeaufosho

Importance* not impedance lol

ben.catterall
      Participant

@canvasyou wrote:

Okay nyz_name: I am going to assume that the last post you made was directed at me?

YOU SAID: “i would agree that the frame is just the frame and not the machine itself but nor is just the coils or just the springs and so on all the pieces put together make a machine and from what you posted you had stripped your superior machine down to the frame and replaced everything else”

MY RESPONSE: I was simply saying that frames do not play too much into the overall tuning of the machine, as long as geometry is identical – you will get similar if not exactly same results. Coils are NOT just coils, and springs are NOT just springs. I stand by my statement on that issue, there are massive implications of using lower end springs and coils, even on a good frame. Where you could (by my example of superior light touch) put higher end springs and coils on a lower end frame and get a huge increase in effect.

YOU SAID: “pretty much you seem to not know a lot about tattooing in general when you quote bs from other people and talk of covering ps with barrier film and many other things on this site i have read”

MY RESPONSE: I am sorry if I do not seem knowledgeable about tattooing to you, and I do not think covering your Power Supply with barrier protection is B.S. – I actually think that any tool that has opportunity to come in contact with bodily fluid should be barrier protected, unless you are going to change your gloves each time you want to adjust your voltage on the P.S. – then you should have it covered with barrier film, or a baggies.

YOU SAID: “along with you claiming this to be a site promoting getting an apprenticeship versus tattooing out of your home but you also make statements in the same quote to use plastic tubes when if you are getting a traditional apprenticeship”

MY RESPONSE: I think that people are going to tattoo at home regardless – and the actual issue is the supply companies selling to anyone, not this website. The supply companies do not seem to offer a FREE sterilization guide – or a free autoclave.. Most people who buy stuff from a kit – have no clue even how to use it except for Huck’s A-Z.. haha! So I cannot make an apology for promoting using plastic tubes and tips. Please refer yourself to a lot of professional top tier artists that use plastic tubes and tips in the best studios across the world. It is my opinion that even if an autoclave is properly used (which most the itme is not) in studios, that spore tests are not properly done, and the autoclave is not properly PMCS (Preventative Maintenance Checks Service) to win my trust. As stated earlier – If people (such as yourself) who can barely convey a complete sentence – are expected to be trusted to run a medical grade autoclave – then I would rather see metal tubes and tips outlawed, unless under direct supervision of a medical professional.

YOU SAID “there mentor would show them the right way to use a autoclave to sterilize metal tubes and tips which are far better imo also you fail to realize that many professional tattooist tattoo at there homes and other peoples homes as well as there shop its all in the way you do your prep work that would make the tattoo area unsafe to tattoo in with out good prep work even a shop is a bad place to tattoo in and a shop is no different than a house unless owning one gives you some kinda magical automatic sterilizing power.”

MY RESPONSE: wow.. that is so confusing.. sorry – I don’t think that owing a shop (or a home – couldn’t tell what you meant exactly) gives you some kinda magical automatic sterilizing power.

YOU SAID: “tattooing without a license anywhere is illegal because you have to prove not that you know how to tattoo but you know how to sterilize and that you know about bbp and cc”

MY RESPONSE: This is simply FALSE – Many states do NOT require you have a license, and only minimal requirements for the business license are enforced / required. Always check with local Health Dept. and utilize OSHA guidelines when dealing with bodily fluid potential exposure.

YOU SAID: “and i have seen a lot of shop that dont know much how to tattoo nor about how to properly sterilize and i have seen a lot of people who work from home that care more for the art than anyone you will find in a shop”

MY RESPONSE: . I think I agree with you.
      : )

:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Think you owned this guy for sure CJ! Glad i found this old post. Classic! :lol:

Viper65

The only thing I dont really, fully agree with is the wrapping the power supply….I would imagine it gets extremely hot and could burn out or at the very least give it a premature death. For those with the nice touch pads a simple layer of plastic would surfice to ensure no CC. If you have one with a knob simply cut the tip of a glove off and slip it over the knob, case solved……….. ;)

robbie55382
      Participant

Superior has junk, all of it in the cheaper section is nothing more than the recycled CHINA crap thats out there. I stay away from them.Go with a reputable company like Hildbrandt, top notch Customer Service etc. Take care and Peace Rob

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan