Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      skratch

hello great forum having a lot of troule setting up my liner i have tried changing the springs the throw the speed the voltage nothing seems to be going right .
      done a little star on my leg the other week and looked good but as it scabed over all ink had fell out and left the tattoo looking like it was 20 years old lol any tips my machine was running at 8.5v speed 119 duty was 49-50 % help please so frustrating ohhhh needle depth was 2mm :D :D

I dont use eikon or any metered power. So the FT and Duty are not going to give me any info.
      Have you read Basic fundamentals of modern tattoo? good starting point for tuning and liner setups.
      I think your numbers sound proper – but maybe you are using wrong needle grouping? too tight perhaps?
      maybe pressing to hard.. not enough angle (holding the machine) many things you should ask your mentor to review with you… Hang in there.

Admin

Try getting your CPS up to around 130.

im gonna venture to assume that u dont know enough about tattooing to even worry about tuning your machine, its likely not the cause of the problem.

im having a hard time finding diagrams depicting parts, needles, and tubes..
      i don’t really have cash ..
      i was hoping someone knows a good online source?
      yes, i have a gret teacher who could teach me..
      but, id like to have a heads up
      and be able to study on my (lil) off time as well.
      anyone?

voodoo

Look at some suppliers online sites………..

Red Spider

WERWOLF

so I ‘ve got a problem with my guns
      It sounding like a tractor I think its cause of a badly contact but I dont really found the best adjustment as the height between the backcoil core and the armature bar
      what are the best adjustments with springs, contact screw, coils…????
      thanks +++

voodoo

^^Try the correct ammo^^^

BigSerg

What kind of springs are you using?. I had to change my springs on my Paco Rollins. I find the Eikon springs to work the best for me. Im gonna go ahead and assume you got a half decent machine?. Those two should play a big role in how well your work gets put down. Your current is about right for a liner.

Paulb

I need to know how to set up my machine properly

starterkit44

@canvasyou wrote:

I dont use eikon or any metered power. So the FT and Duty are not going to give me any info.
      Have you read Basic fundamentals of modern tattoo? good starting point for tuning and liner setups.
      I think your numbers sound proper – but maybe you are using wrong needle grouping? too tight perhaps?
      maybe pressing to hard.. not enough angle (holding the machine) many things you should ask your mentor to review with you… Hang in there.

hey if my machine keeps slowing down and speeding up as iam doing my lines what can that be? i think one of my coils is burn out or my machine isnt tuned right

inky V

ur machine may not be tuned right or u could have a loose capacitor wire. this really isnt that big of a deal if its on a shader machine but could cause some problems such as faint lines or dotted lines if on a liner machine.

There’s something wrong with my machine when i try to put it to the skin it just stops and it isn’t putting ink into the gun like its supposed to it isn’t making lines or nothing

@Paulb wrote:

I need to know how to set up my machine properly

Very broad question Paulb –
      Do you own the book? Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo?
      If you do email me directly and include your login name in the email and I will reply directly

Jermz808

So what does it mean when my liner machine starts out hitting hard, but gets weaker as I progress through the tattoo. For example, I will tune my liner machine the way I like it and it will put down solid lines in the beginning, but after a while it will start to bog down when it hits the skin and I have to retune it.

xDreamerx
      Participant

Jermz,

Before I tune my machines the way I want I use my fingers as a pressure point to see how hard my A-Bar is hitting or how soft.
      That way I can kinda emulate the resistance by using my thumb or finger pushed up against the A-Bar while its on and adjust my power supply same time. Hope this helps.

After you tune it then you can see if it remains same. I tune my machines like this because if you just turn your machine on and power it via foot pedal it may seem to flow smooth but as soon as you try and hit skin it may dwindle down so low it will not even penetrate the skin.

If you dont have Canvas’s book, I recommend it. You’ll get a lot of tips on setting up your machine. Its a thorough beginner book you might want to look into. If you have it already….just review the chapter on machine tuning.

Jermz808

xDreamerx,

Although i dont yet own the book, i’ve learned that little tuning trick from Canvasyou personally a few years ago. i use my finger to see how hard my A-bar is hitting and get it how i want it, it just doesn’t stay that way throughout the tattoo. i checked to ensure everything is tight… can’t figure it out.

BKLZ

@xDreamerx wrote:

Jermz,

Before I tune my machines the way I want I use my fingers as a pressure point to see how hard my A-Bar is hitting or how soft.
      That way I can kinda emulate the resistance by using my thumb or finger pushed up against the A-Bar while its on and adjust my power supply same time. Hope this helps.

After you tune it then you can see if it remains same. I tune my machines like this because if you just turn your machine on and power it via foot pedal it may seem to flow smooth but as soon as you try and hit skin it may dwindle down so low it will not even penetrate the skin.

If you dont have Canvas’s book, I recommend it. You’ll get a lot of tips on setting up your machine. Its a thorough beginner book you might want to look into. If you have it already….just review the chapter on machine tuning.

Heard about some machines taking on magnetic energy and softening up the hit after a while of use… some guy was even saying that he takes his machines to wall mart or somewhere to put them on the demagnetizer for a few minutes at the cashier.

D-Man

@BKLZ wrote:

Heard about some machines taking on magnetic energy and softening up the hit after a while of use… some guy was even saying that he takes his machines to wall mart or somewhere to put them on the demagnetizer for a few minutes at the cashier.

The material of the armature bar might not be the correct one. What you are looking for is a metal which reacts to the magnetic forces but does not get magnetised easily or only for a very(!) short period. Lower cost metals unfortunately tend to remember their magentism, something made worse by the vibration (contributing factor in making a metal magnetic).

tattokits

Tattoo machines are made to push the ink from the skin to create art in the human body. Without it, the tattoo, the manufacturer can continue to create a body tattoo, but it takes more time and curves that can not be precise as expected.

xDreamerx
      Participant

Right on, personal help from Jordan himself eh?

I figured the finger method out one day when I didn’t have a metered power supply so I used my finger over and over to get the hit I wanted and then would set it to where throughout the duration of the tattoo I could have something solid working for me.

The book is awesome for anyone trying to learn. I have only red a few books on this art. And in my opinion they all have their own direction, yet lots of similarities. And with Jordan’s book I think he collects a lot of those that would put a noob in the right direction if he has no access to those with experience.

Jermz808

@xDreamerx wrote:

I figured the finger method out one day when I didn’t have a metered power supply so I used my finger over and over to get the hit I wanted and then would set it to where throughout the duration of the tattoo I could have something solid working for me.

The book is awesome for anyone trying to learn. I have only red a few books on this art. And in my opinion they all have their own direction, yet lots of similarities. And with Jordan’s book I think he collects a lot of those that would put a noob in the right direction if he has no access to those with experience.

Yeah, I met him here in Hawaii. He gave me some tips and advice before he moved away somewhere. I wish I could have apprenticed under him. Your’e right though, It sounds like the book would be a great thing to have and I’m probably gonna pick it up the next chance I get. I’ve been tattooing off and on for a while now but I always run into little probs that I cant truly figure out. I’m sure the book will help. Thanks.

@starterkit44 wrote:

@canvasyou wrote:

hey if my machine keeps slowing down and speeding up as iam doing my lines what can that be? i think one of my coils is burn out or my machine isnt tuned right

Slowing down and speeding up is inconsistant running – usually caused by coil problems. Weak coils – or bad Gaps on the coild from the arm bar. Get quality coils – check gaps – and re-tune.

@Jermz808 wrote:

@xDreamerx wrote:

Yeah, I met him here in Hawaii. He gave me some tips and advice before he moved away somewhere. I wish I could have apprenticed under him. Your’e right though, It sounds like the book would be a great thing to have and I’m probably gonna pick it up the next chance I get. I’ve been tattooing off and on for a while now but I always run into little probs that I cant truly figure out. I’m sure the book will help. Thanks.

jermz808 – sorry been so long since I have been able to get into these forums!
      get some quality coils – from Pulse, I love those coils –
      Then check all the gaps on your Arm bar…
      Get a pulse Arm bar too or an Eikon True Arm bar – I like those w/ the true spring setup – for beginners…
      they help you add a dimention of tuning to your tool box.
      But you get to remove a dimention too – no bending the springs..

But your gaps are very important –
      The gaps that I am talking about are the ones when the A-bar hits the front coil – and the gap between the rear coil core top and the bottom of the a-bar (while you are holding it down to touch the front coil)
      Hard to explain here – I have some diagrams in the book.

Email me your address and I will send you a copy – thought I did though a long time ago!

New book will be out soon too – so I will get you a copy of that.
      Drop me an email though…

I have a hildebrandt tattomachine,magnum .44 and cant get it to start,everythings plugged in but it wont work..no sound no nothing! im a real newbie,so i have tried alot but it wont work..whats wrong?

thnx for replies :D

Sabine2602

In my case it was fixed by checking the contacts – there is a screw on top maybe? (=ContactScrew) Mine was loose when I got them – Tighten and Adjust -> Problem solved

i was wondering if you can use any type of tattoo machine on any type of tattoo power supply,or does it have to be the same producer/manifuctor?

TexasPT

power supply doesn’t have to match the machine.

On your hildebrant make sure your footswitch is operational. A lot of kits have poorly soldered connections and they can disconnect leaving you stranded. I had it happen on mine as well.

Power goes from the wall, to the power supply, to the footswitch, to the clipcord, to the machine. Start at the beginning and work your way down the line.

good luck

Mark

hutongsa

@Red Spider wrote:

It’s cool.Thanks.There is a tattoo supply website:www.tattoodiy.com.If you want any tattoo supply please search on it.

hutongsa

Hi friend,i want to know what types the machine you use?And there is a tattoo website:www.tattoodiy.com,there is a lot of tattoo supplies.If you need the tattoo supplies please search on it. ;)

Scratch,

Not to come off the wrong way here but considering you’ve tried all those adjustments with your machine. Have you pondered the thought that the problem might be with your technique and not the actual machine? Your little star tattoo scabbed up and the ink fell out? There’s so many other variables involved here other than just “whats wrong with my machine”. Have you done tattoos that healed well without scabbing and loss of ink? What needle groupings did you use for the tattoo? How fast were you running your machine? Are you using quality equipment?

Like I said. There’s so many more variables that it could be based on the information you provided. Be more specific and you might get the help you need.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan