Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jamesnikolai

I just got a new build it yourself tattoo machine kit. good make. one of the artists at the shop actually has the same machine. with the help of my mentor, we assembled the machine and went to test it out. everything is in the right place, but it is running like crap and everytime we go to adjust the contact screw, it will shock you. WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS????!!!!!!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

weird i have never heard of this happening o.O

Infamous
      Participant

I would have to guess that one of your wires coming off the coil is touching the frame causing it to short. Or you might have them backwards so its not grounded or something

Lennart82
      Participant

Sounds really wierd.

What I can think off… Doubble check the insulation washers, perhaps blow through the frame holes. There could be metal dust in them, making them get contact with the screw.
      Also check the hole in the binding post, also there could be metal dust in there.

brokenpipe

You don’t have it grounded at the wall!!! And your power supply or clip cord has a short. Are u using a three prong wall outlet? I’m an electrician by trade so this is a common issue with power tools. If your using made in China stuff then you prolly have a bad connection. Quality control is not one of the top priorities. If it was an insulation Washer then your coils would just stay on when u hit the pedal. It’s shocking you because your the only place the power had to get back to the source. Check it out and please let me know what u find

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@brokenpipe wrote:

You don’t have it grounded at the wall!!! And your power supply or clip cord has a short. Are u using a three prong wall outlet? I’m an electrician by trade so this is a common issue with power tools. If your using made in China stuff then you prolly have a bad connection. Quality control is not one of the top priorities. If it was an insulation Washer then your coils would just stay on when u hit the pedal. It’s shocking you because your the only place the power had to get back to the source. Check it out and please let me know what u find

+1

This seems legit! Haha
      As far as the coil thing yes the A bar will drop, and not go back up.
      Maybe check the things Pipe suggests, and invest in some better equipment.

Lennart82
      Participant

Definately a try worth it.

Again, I have never heard or seen anything like this before…. So best guess….

Virgil Ohler
      Participant

Ok… just a thought. The machine is running one voltage throughout the frame at all times and the contact screw is the opposite voltage. This completes the circuit. You are getting shocked because each hand is touching conductive metal. Wear some gloves. This happens to me if I have a metal grip and no gloves while adjusting the contact screw. Simple, and easy to avoid or fix.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan