• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I did this on my best friend last Monday with my £6 rotary machine. It’s a recreation of the tattoo he designed for his partner, who passed from breast cancer a few years back…

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4777.jpg

TexasPT

Cool to be able to do a tribute like that. I’m doing a tree of life this week for a client whose mother passed recently.

Are you working off the needle or the tube? You have a lot of lines that seem real inconsistent. Not sure if it’s a depth issue that requires you to go back over them or if you are not stretching well enough. I have a knock-off rotary, too…paid all of $20 US for it but it lays down beautiful lines as long as your hand is moving at the right speed and you watch your depth. Those are some long lines to pull…but you’ve nailed some and not others.

Your black fill seems a bit chewed up as well. I’ve tried coloring and shading with my rotary a couple times and it seemed REAL easy to start tearing things up, even at minimal voltage.

It’s not a bad piece at all…but I’d politely request to have another go at the lines and see if you can smooth some stuff out. When the whole design is lines, and not colors/shading to pull the eye away it’s so important to nail them.

Hope this is received as it was intended.

Mark

@TexasPT wrote:

Cool to be able to do a tribute like that. I’m doing a tree of life this week for a client whose mother passed recently.

Are you working off the needle or the tube? You have a lot of lines that seem real inconsistent. Not sure if it’s a depth issue that requires you to go back over them or if you are not stretching well enough. I have a knock-off rotary, too…paid all of $20 US for it but it lays down beautiful lines as long as your hand is moving at the right speed and you watch your depth. Those are some long lines to pull…but you’ve nailed some and not others.

Your black fill seems a bit chewed up as well. I’ve tried coloring and shading with my rotary a couple times and it seemed REAL easy to start tearing things up, even at minimal voltage.

It’s not a bad piece at all…but I’d politely request to have another go at the lines and see if you can smooth some stuff out. When the whole design is lines, and not colors/shading to pull the eye away it’s so important to nail them.

Hope this is received as it was intended.

Mark

Thanks, bro, totally received as intended :) I only work off the needle, as I’ve heard that riding the tube can cause too much ink smudging, and makes it impossible to know exactly where the needle tip is… I think the issue was not enough stretching (as I was worried about touching it too much and wiping away the stencil) as some of the ink just wouldn’t sit in. I might indeed ask how it heals up and suggest touching up some of the lines to improve the consistency :) Thanks for the feedback :)

robroy289
      Participant

@KitchenWizard wrote:

I did this on my best friend last Monday with my £6 rotary machine. It’s a recreation of the tattoo he designed for his partner, who passed from breast cancer a few years back…

Man it is so hard to recreate a tattoo that someone else has done. there expectations are high on having it looking exactly as the other. It looks as if you did a fairly good job of staying with design layout but it does look like you had trouble with the solid fill and shaded areas. As you said you was afraid to stretch to much, but that is one of the main keys to getting those lines to go in straight and constant. I have seen alot of guys not stretch the skin properly on spots of the body where the skin seems to be already tight like the back, shoulder, calf or back of the neck and lines look horrible and can’t seem to get a solid fill. You will probably need to touch it up when it heals, but all in all it looks to be decent work… Hope this helps..

@robroy289 wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

Man it is so hard to recreate a tattoo that someone else has done. there expectations are high on having it looking exactly as the other. It looks as if you did a fairly good job of staying with design layout but it does look like you had trouble with the solid fill and shaded areas. As you said you was afraid to stretch to much, but that is one of the main keys to getting those lines to go in straight and constant. I have seen alot of guys not stretch the skin properly on spots of the body where the skin seems to be already tight like the back, shoulder, calf or back of the neck and lines look horrible and can’t seem to get a solid fill. You will probably need to touch it up when it heals, but all in all it looks to be decent work… Hope this helps..

Thanks for the feedback :) Yeah, the solid filling wasn’t fun, but I think that was because I was using a lining needle rather than a shader… For the shaded areas, it was supposed to be pale/liney, as that was the ‘quality’ of the original tattoo :) I’ll be interested to see how it heals though, and then see what needs touching up :)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan