• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      TexasPT

This was 21 years old

TexasPT

Here is after. Things I know to be true:

1. I tried to use the tip of the needle rather than the tip of the tube…it backfired horribly and I was inconsistent as hell with depth.
      2. 42 year old butts give a lot.
      3. I will be reworking the lining when it heals using the tip rather than needle. Should be an easy fix but it was a good lesson.

She was wonderful about the lining and still thinks it’s great because of the colors. :)

Giving a bad tattoo sucks. It made me sick to my stomach that I made those mistakes and for the life of me didn’t fix it right then and there. She was super cool, and understood it was a learning process and made me feel a bit better. It just makes me want to be so much better, and practice so much more.

messijesse

Good upgrade

TexasPT

I guess when you look at the original, it is. :) It will be better in a few weeks.

Viper65

Trying to pull a Ami James from NY Ink! Its incredible how far out his needle is on a outline…at least 1/2 inch or more. I tried on a hog ear with good sucess as i like to see the needle itself…. :ugeek:

TexasPT

yeah…if you look at the swallow I did in the “weekend fun” thread I did that one all tip. The difference is I could feel how deep it was. I just didn’t have the same feel tattooing someone else. I’m going to just stick to tips for a while. I’ll revisit later.

It’s a sickening feeling, isn’t it, but it happens to us all. I fucked up a tattoo I was doing yesterday, just because I didn’t think through the process enough. I was doing a tribal scorpion which was to have a white line between the pincers, resembling the traceline on a heart monitor. I outlined the scorpion, then outlined the white trace line. I then started filling the black for the scorpion, and wiped the excess ink down over the white line :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: So yeah, I’m going to have to use a lot of white over the top till it looks right again :x :x :x Fortunately, the client was cool about it, and as I still need to fill the rest of the scorpion sections, I’ll be able to re-work the white line. Sounds like your client has been cool about it, so that’s the biggest potential concern taken care of :) If you don’t mind, I’ve taken the liberty of doing a quick mockup of what I would personally suggest changing on the design, but of course, your client might not want to radically alter the design thus (I just think that two hearts would be a better balance on the bolt…)
      (grey halo would be with regular grey ink, not grey wash)

TexasPT

I always appreciate the input. Not sure what direction this one will go…I just want it to heal fast so I can fix it. :)

What’s funny is EVERYONE she showed the picture to LOVED it…and I think that makes me feel worse. :) I just want it to be right enough for my standards I guess…not her’s.

@TexasPT wrote:

I always appreciate the input. Not sure what direction this one will go…I just want it to heal fast so I can fix it. :)

What’s funny is EVERYONE she showed the picture to LOVED it…and I think that makes me feel worse. :) I just want it to be right enough for my standards I guess…not her’s.

I know you’ll be able to take care of it, bro, just stay calm, and take it steady :) I think people are way more accepting of the standards of a tattoo than the artist, as we’re always our own worst critics, and as long as they’re happy, that’s pretty much all that matters, but of course, as the artist, it’s also important to be happy with it ourselves too :)

@Viper65 wrote:

Trying to pull a Ami James from NY Ink! Its incredible how far out his needle is on a outline…at least 1/2 inch or more. I tried on a hog ear with good sucess as i like to see the needle itself…. :ugeek:

+1 I just found NY ink on youTube, and found this clip showing Tim Hendricks tattooing. There’s more than a few mm of needle hanging out of his tube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwYLhj4wfUo&NR=1

Viper65

I just watched this as well just the other night! Coming from an extensive art back ground I also think that needle being out as far as it is would be advantagous as long as you don’t go deeper than your supposed to. Like I said, I had really good results on hogs ears so ill keep practicing this till I’m more than comfortable witn it. Also, those cats got some tricked out shit like using single needles and such…..haven’t been there yet. Good luck!

TexasPT

I think the last time I tried it I just didn’t go deep enough. I was so nervous about going too deep I went the other extreme. :(

Viper65

Hog ears bro…..I’m telling you it works!

@TexasPT wrote:

Here is after. Things I know to be true:

1. I tried to use the tip of the needle rather than the tip of the tube…it backfired horribly and I was inconsistent as hell with depth.
      2. 42 year old butts give a lot.
      3. I will be reworking the lining when it heals using the tip rather than needle. Should be an easy fix but it was a good lesson.

She was wonderful about the lining and still thinks it’s great because of the colors. :)

Giving a bad tattoo sucks. It made me sick to my stomach that I made those mistakes and for the life of me didn’t fix it right then and there. She was super cool, and understood it was a learning process and made me feel a bit better. It just makes me want to be so much better, and practice so much more.

Texas,
      You need to work on clean lines – and consistent depth!
      Smooth running machines w/ proper disposible tube setups will help you get there. Also – you have to see how it heals. If you over work the skin ink will surly come out.
      If your lines look “blown out” in parts it is because you failed to control the depth of the needle and went too deep in some parts –
      Get comfortable with your machines’ weight and try to rest your hand on the body part you are tattooing more – to stablize.

: )

TexasPT

Thanks for taking the time to post. I agree 100% and thanks for the tip on stabilizing with the hand….I don’t think I do that now at all. I tried something I wasn’t comfortable with yet and I’m just not ready to gauge depth by feel. I’m going back to using the tube as a guide and getting consistent.

My machine runs smooth and ALWAYS disposable tubes…not just tips. I just fudged up depth…and I knew it before I was done and told her we’d come back to the piece after the mistakes healed.

evan

that clip is insane i like rideing the tube id mess some one up if i tried doing it with that much lead on my needle but the dude is goog so it works for him thats what maters most

xDreamerx
      Participant

Everyone else pretty much said what I would of said…..

I used to ride the tube, then bout 2 yrs ago I started riding the needle. This way I can view my work area better. Dont think that riding the tube is the only way to work. Who knows you might like the results you get from having your needle extended out more. You will have to be very mindful though as it will be a lot easier to create blow outs on your line work, but then again….you’ll always be learning and trying to find that sweet spot. All in time…

As for depth, I go by feel and by sight. Some skin I have to put more pressure or turn up my machine more so it hits harder…its a combination for me. Everyone’s skin is different….this you will learn also.

Thanks for sharing and asking questions.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan