• This topic is empty.
Viewing 54 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

So here is the deal.

I live in a small town, me and my family moved here, course of my girlfriend grew up in this place. And its great for the kids.
      I’m from a big city, and we have been talking about returning to the city, and perhaps for me to open a shop. There are 5 active shops in that city, one of which is my mentors. That’s not the problem at this moment. The major problem is, that the city is run by bikers. Two gangs. And both of them claim the tattoo business for themselves. They practically own that trade.

Two shops have now closed. They claim, that they didn’t want to be a tattooist. But their work was pretty good, and one of them could go very far. Point being, they both had natural talent.

Rumours have it, that their shops were smashed, destroyed, they were threaten. If they didn’t pay mortgage to one of the biker gangs. Protection money.

I close friend of mine, his cousin, has some skills as well. But not that great. He opened a home studio. Midnight Wednesday, he got banked up by 3 bikers. Who told him to stop doing tattoos, or they would break every bone in his body. (Now I don’t know if he were gang related or anything)
      But this got me thinking, and got scared as well, since I wanted a shop of my own at some point. But now I hesitate of moving back to the city.

I’m really at a loss here. Moving back, and risk getting threaten, worse even, if they aim for my kids. I just cant believe, that those biker gangs have control over the industry. Using piss poor tattooist, making garbage. Only in it for the cash flow. And not remotely interesting in the art of it. Just doing shit after shit.

I don’t even dare doing PR other then mouth to mouth PR.

But when I think of those tattooist in the city, they all are big pumped up, bald shaved, tribal loving, looking like bikers people. All of them actually looks like bikers themselves.
      And my seize…. Well lets say, I wasn’t in front line when height and weight were being handed out.

This is all new news to me. I was shocked to find out that most tattooist is on a biker gangs payroll. The deal goes; You do what you do, and make money, you give us 85% and we will let your shop be, and not threaten you or your family….. I mean, what gives???

And as I said before, our government doesn’t give a shit about the tattoo industry.
      I can only cross my fingers, that the bikers only deal in the big cities. Then I could open a shop in the country, in the small town I now live in…….

What’s your thoughts on this? Is this happening were your at?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

woah thats nuts! not happening here. Move to Cornwall and we’ll open a shop together ;)

Infamous
      Participant

I’ve heard of this happening, but never in real life. That is crazy. I’d stay away from opening a shop in that town as much as possible.

Wyki

That sucks, I would stay away from opening a shop there… it should be good/wiser to make one out in the country area..hopefully no one knows about your ideas of opening shop there so you’re safe. One option could be taking out all those bikers one by one :D LOL :twisted: and problem solved… :mrgreen: But yea… that really sucks that in todays world things are still run in a way that shouldnt be. And no here in Puerto Rico nothing like that happens…unless its drug and/or women related… :?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

someone on the forum has the same issue in australia

Lennart82
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

woah thats nuts! not happening here. Move to Cornwall and we’ll open a shop together ;)

This could be cool… But… its a loooooooong travel ;)
      Yeah… should be more flexible I know hahaha

@Infamous wrote:

I’ve heard of this happening, but never in real life. That is crazy. I’d stay away from opening a shop in that town as much as possible.

Its too real… I might just stick around in this small town. If people like what I do, I think they would drive for it. And besides, every point in Denmark to my town, only taks a max of 4 hours….

@Wyki wrote:

That sucks, I would stay away from opening a shop there… it should be good/wiser to make one out in the country area..hopefully no one knows about your ideas of opening shop there so you’re safe. One option could be taking out all those bikers one by one :D LOL :twisted: and problem solved… :mrgreen: But yea… that really sucks that in todays world things are still run in a way that shouldnt be. And no here in Puerto Rico nothing like that happens…unless its drug and/or women related… :?

Take them out… One by one…. hmmmmmmmmm :ugeek:
      Well, think I have decided to stick around…. But words run fast, and soon I will bet that they will learn of me. Luckely I have the local farmers, and hillbillies on my side… HA….. I hope…

Spider
      Participant

It might not be as uncommon as you think. Thank fully it’s not here where I am, but me growing up where I did the whole extortion thing is not that uncommon. Where I grew up it wasn’t biker gangs but street gangs that pulled this kind of stuff. You got a few choices really, fight em and hopefully gain some respect and mutual understanding, pay em and suck it up cupcake, very very quietly talk to law enforcement anf find out who has an active investigation against them and help bust thier rears wide open, make friends with someone who has thier respect and make sure people know it, or just move the shop to a better place, or just don’t tattoo where you are at and leave it at that.
      Unfortunately tattoo shops are targets of robbery and such becasue of the cash, I’ve been in places where you have to be buzzed into the door and there was even a HUGE dude that hung around just for security. Most shops I have been in have a gun somewhere in the shop.
      Bikers and tattoos have gone hand in hand for decades, hell man, Mark Mahoney started his career by inking in a local MC’s club house before he moved out to the pike in the 80’s. It’s not surprising that there are still areas in which bikers still control tattooing, for them it’s money and sometimes money laundering.
      In this case man, it’s gonna be about who you know that has your back, make some powerful friends maybe. People tend to forget, or just don’t know how tattooing used to be, firebombing shops, tattoo artists getting friends to go and rough up another guys shop to run him out of business, bust up his hands and so on was happening as late as the 90’s in many places, still happens in some places. Knowing this is just a part of the history of inking and in some places still a part of the life, at least here in the united states.
      Good luck to you and whatever choice you make.

Lennart82
      Participant

And powerfull friends… Hmmmmmm I have alot of friends at the danish tax agency ;) Consists of Lawyers, Jurists, Legal Advisers, Customs Officials and The Kings Bailiff’s
      But scary big hairy fellas, who can protect and give respect? Hmm no…… :cry:

Wyki

@Lennart82 wrote:

But scary big hairy fellas, who can protect and give respect? Hmm no…… :cry:

Thats what shotguns under the desk are for :twisted: :lol: MMMUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Infamous
      Participant

If you pay me a very hefty sum I’ll go ahead and move down there, infiltrate the gang, take care of all of them and then just move back home like nothing ever happened :twisted: for one billion dollars 8-)

JDawnPearls

Stay put. Let the travelers come to you. You don’t want to do anything to risk the safety of the kids…. but based on what I’ve read everyone else has told you this already.

And if you go to Cornwall – I will visit !! I’m not that far !! Canada is a great place for kids. Even though I am leaving in 4 years, I recommend it here.

Is there another city that is perhaps an option?

Lennart82
      Participant

@Infamous wrote:

If you pay me a very hefty sum I’ll go ahead and move down there, infiltrate the gang, take care of all of them and then just move back home like nothing ever happened :twisted: for one billion dollars 8-)

Just 1 billion dollors???
      Well okey, a proffesional hitman would be more expensive to take out well over 10.000 bikers from two different clans ;)

@JDawnPearls wrote:

Stay put. Let the travelers come to you. You don’t want to do anything to risk the safety of the kids…. but based on what I’ve read everyone else has told you this already.

And if you go to Cornwall – I will visit !! I’m not that far !! Canada is a great place for kids. Even though I am leaving in 4 years, I recommend it here.

Is there another city that is perhaps an option?

Yeah, been scrambling my mind, and I think I’ve made my mind up. I will be staying in the small town.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

No one wants to visit me! D: </3

Infamous
      Participant

Oh I just have to take out the guys up top, forget all the followers lol they’ll do as I say once the big dogs are gone lol

Infamous
      Participant

And Ram, you are probably the most likely person on this forum for me to actually visit since you’re nearly the closest.. I think someone on here is from Pennsylvania but I don’t remember who that is

Lennart82
      Participant

Ahhh come on guys, Take a trip to Denmark. We could all hang together. Take out some biker heads, and then tattoo each other :D

Now that sounds like a plan ;)

Infamous
      Participant

I’d love to go to Denmark, but you know that craps expensive. Especially in Denmark as I’ve heard numerous times lol

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I might actually be tattooing Angie soon haha
      She’s super close, and i think is going through my way next month.
      ill go to denmark if you pay my way there XD

einvalentine
      Participant

Len, just how far from this city are you? And which one is it… that way if I ever decide to travel, it isn’t there lol.

Infamous, I am from PA :D

Lennart82
      Participant

Hahaha ahhh guys come on… If you win the lottery, you wouldnt mind hahahaha

Actually einvalentine, this happens in all the major cities. All 7 of them ;)

Spider
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

You can come down to my area and guest spot homie! We are the only shop in the area that takes guests artists. Hell we’re still trying to fill our last open booth. Why is a decent drug free (at least sober at work) artist so damm hard to find!!! UGH!!!! I’m in Alabama by the way Great place to visit…But instead I live here…OI!!!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I wonder how much it would be to fly from Ottawa to Alabama. Def something to look into. As far as drug free I smoke some pot here n there, but I never smoke before a tat. I also dont drink like ever so yay for me :P
      drinking is bad mkay?

einvalentine
      Participant

Spider, how helpful has the graphic design education been toward actually tattooing? That’s where I’m at right now… end of my 2nd year & 2 more to go. When I graduate I’ll have an associates in studio art, and a bachelors in graphic design with a minor in web development. I know that any education is always helpful, but I just don’t want to feel too much like I’ve wasted a shit-ton of money when all is said and done.

JDawnPearls

@Spider wrote:

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

You can come down to my area and guest spot homie! We are the only shop in the area that takes guests artists. Hell we’re still trying to fill our last open booth. Why is a decent drug free (at least sober at work) artist so damm hard to find!!! UGH!!!! I’m in Alabama by the way Great place to visit…But instead I live here…OI!!!

Spider, I would be there in a flash if I wasn’t in Canada and pregnant. I have four other people to consider. If you were here or even in TX I’d be there. I just wish I could !!! I’m totally ok with being sober while I work. And I am even more to learning from an expert, and giving back.

Spider
      Participant

@einvalentine wrote:

Spider, how helpful has the graphic design education been toward actually tattooing?

Having an art background is a major plus IMO in tattooing. My other artist is currently working on his BA in fine arts. From my perspective classes like perspective, digital photography, even art history and color theory has a place in inking. I like to think that I think outside the box more when approaching a new project. On the large pieces and cover-ups I have used washing (color washing) much like I would when working with water colors, and even color mixing like I would with oils with some pretty good success. So all said and done it’s not a waste if you use it. Personally I plan on going back and getting my masters as well. Why the hell not! And the diplomas look very good on the wall in your booth.

@JDawnPearls wrote:

Spider, I would be there in a flash if I wasn’t in Canada and pregnant. I have four other people to consider. If you were here or even in TX I’d be there. I just wish I could !!! I’m totally ok with being sober while I work. And I am even more to learning from an expert, and giving back.

Check back on us if you stay in the business. The game plan is to have 2 more fully staffed and running succesful shops within the next 5-10 years, and since I am from Texas (San Antone) that is a very real option I’ll open one there since I already have a rep in the area and peeps waiting on me to come back. And I always have been and always will be the guy that says, “Screw your portfolio! Anyone can make a damm portfolio, get your s**t and a body and SHOW me what you can do, and make it good, cause you got one shot at this cupcake!”….

einvalentine
      Participant

Amen to that Spider! I completely agree with you, and THAT is the way it should be done. However, if I were a seasoned artist (which is what I ask myself all the time ;) ) looking to expand, I would not only look at what someone can do, but how they learn. Being in college, I have learned A LOT. Not only about art itself, but also about the way different people learn. Some of my class mates pick up on things, work out design issues, and manipulate their work WAY better than others. Some people just get it, and I wish more shops would look at the learning aspect & what people can do, more than the portfolio itself. I just don’t think they ask enough questions… or even the right ones. But hey, what do I know :roll:

And I should have been a bit more specific. All of my classes have been helpful, and I can apply everything I’ve learned so far to tattooing. But do you think that the graphic design education is just as helpful, if not more, than a traditional art program? Basically, I’m curious to know if the design tools we have access to (ie photoshop, illustrator, etc) make the design process faster & more efficient. I imagine they do (especially with custom work), but its always reassuring to hear it from someone else ;)

Spider
      Participant

If you can use them, the tools graphic designers use can be invaluable in the tattoo field. Since I am a Linux user I use GIMP instead of photoshop, I also have an art program called Krita. With it I can take..hmm well it’s easier to just show and tell yes?!https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iIbgyGruAYo/UhrBAkwb6TI/AAAAAAAAANo/4APVpKTqLJ4/w546-h698-no/Tabletuse1.jpg Hope that link works right. The image should be a Star Wars samuri painted originally by Clinton Felker. After a consult with a client that wanted a new spin on an old style asian koi sleeve with a samuri I came up with this guy. Took the painting image into Gimp, used a pen tablet to create an outline and then made a thermal stencil and inked it. So my point on all this is that YES the tools and classes and hardware a graphic designer can be utilized for some awesome results in tattooing when done correctly. I use the programs on all my scripts and ALOT of my outlines before I ever send it to the thermal for my stencils. Since I do alot of custom work this comes in handy many many times over because someone can bring me thier original artwork and at thier request I can get the lines I need and most of the time make a successful stencil and apply it.
      So in some ways the graphic designer degrees can be even more helpful than a traditional art degree. hope that helps..

Lennart82
      Participant

Thats a great looking samurai. :D

But perhaps its only me, I’m a bit old fashined, and stay away from computers when art is considered. ;) But I do achknowledge I have seen great computer graphics designs.

I believe in pen and paper ;) Not computers ;)

(Perhaps the only reason why I dont like computer art, is of my lack in skills at graphic programs hahahaha)

einvalentine
      Participant

Spider, that is EXACTLY what I wanted to see/hear! :D I love me some positive reinforcement. Thank you thank you thank you! Love the samurai by the way ;) I just started my Computer Graphics & Typography 1 classes last week, and we’re learning Illustrator & InDesign. I’m hoping that my Type 1 class will greatly improve my lettering ability (because at the moment, it sucks :roll: ).

Len, I used to feel the same way. It actually used to irritate me to see flash/artwork created in a design program because I felt that it took away from the artistic value, time, and dedication it takes to create a fantastic piece of work. Then I realized that it actually takes A LOT of time and dedication to end up with some of the graphics/illustrations I’ve seen. But I’m slowly finding that the software makes it soooo much easier to manipulate. *Mental visualization* Difficult client who has no idea what they actually want: “Oh, can you change the color of this thingy and move it closer to this other thingy maybe?” Me: ….point…click…drag…click…click… “Like that?” LOL.
      What can I say, I’m lazy :mrgreen:

Spider
      Participant

@einvalentine wrote:

What can I say, I’m lazy :mrgreen:

I wouldn’t say that using an art program is lazy, it takes me just as long to render a drawing using a pen tablet and my painting program as it would using pencil and paper. For me it’s clutter, I omit the clutter of pens and colored pencils and as you stated I can change colors positions and whatever without having to redraw the entire thing. To each thier own in this business tho. LOL.. I still use traditional drawing stuff, still have the art sketch books and case full of pencils and markers and pens and coored pencils and still love to just sit and draw and sketch. I feel though that where other shops and artists look at a painting or drawing and either cannot, or will not make it into a tattoo design, I can look at the picture someone brings me and say Yep, I can do that. My laptop is like a modern light box in that way.

Lennart82
      Participant

Well I can see there are some benifits with using a computer software. But still… Mah, its just me I guess. Been too busy on youtube looking at drawings, only to find it done on a computer… Still they call it a drawing, I call it animated picture/digital illustration. But again, everybody has their own view of things, this is just mine ;)

einvalentine
      Participant

Good lord Len, I just found your youtube channel…… great… now I’ll never get anything done! :lol:

Lennart82
      Participant

OMG NOOOOOO NOT YOU TOO… :P

einvalentine
      Participant

Yep… way to go, it is now your fault that I will be wasting away in front of my computer lol. See… I’m doing it right now when I should be reading my History of Graphic Design book :mrgreen: Also, It is great to see you using brushes to blend. My drawing professor, while he is very good at what he does, had us using our hands :x I ruined so many assignments with gross smudges that way.

JDawnPearls

I never used my hand for blending, unless it was a piece completely done with my hand (a charcoal picture I made of a skull entirely done with finger smudges). That is why we have smudgers… you know, the pencil shaped paper things with tips? I find that learning to blend with cross hatch or pencil pressure helps with the clarity of the gradient.

Lennart82
      Participant

@einvalentine wrote:

Yep… way to go, it is now your fault that I will be wasting away in front of my computer lol. See… I’m doing it right now when I should be reading my History of Graphic Design book :mrgreen: Also, It is great to see you using brushes to blend. My drawing professor, while he is very good at what he does, had us using our hands :x I ruined so many assignments with gross smudges that way.

Sorry about that ;)
      seriously????? I dont even touch the paper with my hands. Always placing another sheet of paper between me and the paper.. All that little sweet, grease and so on you cant avoid having on your fingers, will leave an imprint. Now if the charcoal hits that fingerprint… The drawing is ruined… I did it once, though learned lesson, had to discard the drawing….

And Jess. I do believe they are called a stub. ;) I rarely use em. I did at first, but then i gradually stopped using them ;)

Shaggy

Be proactive… Buy a Harley, start hanging around their hangouts and let them get to know you. They might like you and ask you to hang around, then prospect and eventually join… problem solved.

Lennart82
      Participant

@Shaggy wrote:

Be proactive… Buy a Harley, start hanging around their hangouts and let them get to know you. They might like you and ask you to hang around, then prospect and eventually join… problem solved.

You clearly havent seen me ;) I look like the guy you bump into at the library :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lennart82
      Participant

Okey, Now I’m officially SCAREDE SHIT….. And actually on the brink of stopping my tattoo endeavou all completly…….. I really dont know what to do anymore.
      In a neighbor town 12 miles away from my place….. two guys not gang related (Which I thought was why the bikers attack them) got attacked at home, both of them got their fingers broken, with a message. Pay up or stop tattooing. If you still try to tattoo, then once your fingers are healed, we will come back a knife and take your fingers with us……..

12 miles…… from my place…..

Infamous
      Participant

Damn.

Lennart82
      Participant

okey after several thoughts I’ve come to a conclusion…. I will not tolerate them destroying my dreams. So I will keep inkin’ and i will keep learning and keep getting better at it. And then… I will move country hahahah

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@Lennart82 wrote:

okey after several thoughts I’ve come to a conclusion…. I will not tolerate them destroying my dreams. So I will keep inkin’ and i will keep learning and keep getting better at it. And then… I will move country hahahah

+1

I suggest Canada :P
      Ontario

… Cornwall, Ontario, Canada?

Infamous
      Participant

If you move to Cornwall, there will be nothing standing between me and going there lol.

Well besides money. :shock:

Lennart82
      Participant

Hahahah I mentioned Canada to my girlfriend. Her response; NO WAY… Its soo cold there. (She was thinking about Alaska) And when I told her, Canada is a bit lower then Denmark comparing Equator. Her response; Hmmmmm

BUT, I think Ill miss the ocean and the high winds…. ;)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Cornwall is in south eastern ontario lmao!
      we only have snow for four months per year, and it only gets to about -20 – -30 depending on the year
      Sometimes we have warmer winters than others
      we’ve even had green christmases!
      we don’t wall live in igloos you know :P
      also Alaska is part of the US not Canada XD
      they snagged that from Great Britain 1866 before Great Britain could buy Canada from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1867

I’d move. Not worth the stress. But first I’d need a bit of confirmation. But if this is true I’d just leave if I can’t live out my dreams the way I want w/o being beat up and extorted

Spider
      Participant

Let’s just all move to a central location, open the largest shop in the world and ink it up!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

CORNWALL!

Lennart82
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

Cornwall is in south eastern ontario lmao!
      we only have snow for four months per year, and it only gets to about -20 – -30 depending on the year
      Sometimes we have warmer winters than others
      we’ve even had green christmases!
      we don’t wall live in igloos you know :P
      also Alaska is part of the US not Canada XD
      they snagged that from Great Britain 1866 before Great Britain could buy Canada from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1867

Hahahahah I know I know… But my girlfriend dosent :P and -30….?? Celsios right? if so, its not that different from my place ;)

@Brokenedgallows wrote:

I’d move. Not worth the stress. But first I’d need a bit of confirmation. But if this is true I’d just leave if I can’t live out my dreams the way I want w/o being beat up and extorted

No I know…. Its not worth it…. But still, its not easy just to pick up everything and just move…. :S

@Spider wrote:

Let’s just all move to a central location, open the largest shop in the world and ink it up!

INK THE WOLRD :D
      Like that hahahaha

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Yes in Canada we use Celsius, Kilometres, etc :D

Infamous
      Participant

Okay lol, I was looking at that in terms of Fahrenheit because ‘MERICA! And, I was like only -20 -30??? ONLY?!

Lennart82
      Participant

Ahhhh well thats good… :D

Celsius is easier imo. 0 Celsius and water freezes. 100 Celsius and water boils. ;)

Infamous
      Participant

Seems easy enough, but I’m used to F* so its just easier for me lol.

einvalentine
      Participant

@Spider wrote:

If I won the powerball, this would totally happen ;)

Lennart82
      Participant

Could be sooo awesome :D

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan