• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Viper65

Still trying to get the whole Graywash system down pat. I think I have a good grasp of it after tonight. I started off too dark with the shading then toned it down. First wash was 3 drops of black and rest water, then up to a medium wash out of the bottle…
      The ear’s really dont do much for shading, I never could get them to look really nice but i think this turned out well. I am very happy with the end results. Oh, the purple you see? Stencil, i washed and washed but it wasnt going away anytime soon…. :roll:

Sinatra

Tuffff. Good job.

TexasPT

came together well.

I followed this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kflJALktUuU&feature=related and just made my own. What I found is the darker shades are really dark. I like the 12% wash best so far.

hutongsa

wow,so cool.And this is our website :www.tattoodiy.com .There are a lot of tattoo supplies.I f you want any tattoo machines you can search on it.

TexasPT

It dawned on me today that when we just cheerlead, nobody gets to take a step forward.

About the graywash…you have a very definite line between layers of color in areas. There doesn’t appear to be much gradation…not sure you were going for that look, though.

I watched a Mario Barth video on color blending and his suggestion was that when you go from one color to the next you DON’T rinse the needle…this blends the two in the tube for the first shot where they meet and you can actually smooth out the blend. I also watched a video on how to make a 5 tier wash system. It may make a tattoo a bit more tedious but the end product should be a better piece. (just realized the link is above)

Mario Barth video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qoRvnnEu8w

How to make graywash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kflJALktUuU&feature=related

Viper65

Tex,
      thanks for the help. I actually started to get the gradient down near the end of this piece. I dont know why it didnt occur to me sooner to just cut the ink with some water and go from there?? I dont know if you have ever worked with the pig ears or not but it doesnt take much before your tearing them apart, gradients dont really go in as well as they would in skin, colors are a bit distorted, so on and so forth…
      I got a hog belly the other day taht seems to be a bit better, ill post pictures when done, ( well, as long as i am satisfied with it!!) :D

TexasPT

I wasn’t sure about the ears. Practice skins seem to blend ok. I think with the ears you get the feel of real skin but it leaves that “fresh tattoo” look? So far my experience has been that washes heal lighter than they appear to go in.

Keep on posting. Everytime I look at a new tattoo on here I learn something.

Mark

ricoh65
      Participant

I think you did a great job with it Viper…Texas gave you a link to Tattootraining’s Youtube….That guy is really good’ I talk to him on a regular basis and he really knows his craft. He has ALOT of good videos, When you have a little time I suggest you watch some…I have learned alot from him and he replies to you quickly when you ask him something…Really good solid dude.

Tarantula

It looks pretty good to me :) picture is pretty small to see much detail though :( I’ve seen “professionals” do a worse job than that…
      I pre-make my greywash inks: 50% 25% 12% and 6%. I have also used the 1,2 and 3 drops of ink version.
      Another way to mix your ink is to use 1 16 mm cap of pure black and 3 of water / witchhazel / wash solution (choose your poison), dip in the black and into first cap for your darkest wash, dip into first then second for mid wash and dip them all for lightest, after a while you won’t need to dip in the black.
      Yet another way is to have a cap of black and a cup of distilled water, dip in the black then dip in the cup, the longer you leave the tip in the cup the lighter the wash (1 sec 2 secs 3 secs etc).
      I find that my pre-made washes are the best option as theyre more consistent but all of them work well remember: you can always go darker, you can’t go lighter!
      Sometimes it’s better to start with the lighter wash then darken over the top until you get back to the line. Practice whip shading, you’ll be surprised at how well this technique works on smaller tattoos removing the need for washes altogether.

TexasPT

please don’t think I was knocking down the piece…I love it. I just think a focus on what can be done better is a good thing. It helps everyone grow. One thing I failed to mention is the white highlights you put in. I really think these are a game changer in tattoos.

Viper65

I was more than happy to receive the critique, anything that can make me better or give me more info is much appreciated!!!!!

ONE thing that really does bug the shit out of me is the fact that these pictures you can up load are so damn small…Hard to see anything that we have done. You get a general Idea, but you really cant see the fine detail work that really makes a tattoo pop out! I guess we need to beat up on Canvas a little to see what can be done to make them larger and able to see more detail..

TexasPT

you can still go pretty big, but the picture you upload has to be that big. I do everything as big as I can and when mine pop up they take half my 17″ monitor almost. Just make sure the dimensions you are loading are at the limit for what the site will take.

leopardprints67
      Participant

@Viper65 wrote:

Still trying to get the whole Graywash system down pat. I think I have a good grasp of it after tonight. I started off too dark with the shading then toned it down. First wash was 3 drops of black and rest water, then up to a medium wash out of the bottle…
      The ear’s really dont do much for shading, I never could get them to look really nice but i think this turned out well. I am very happy with the end results. Oh, the purple you see? Stencil, i washed and washed but it wasnt going away anytime soon…. :roll:

Not bad at all. I love black and grey pieces. I would add some shadows to the scroll work for a more 3d effect. But not a bad effort at all. I’d actually like to see more of your work. Do you have a site, hon?

What needle groupings did you use? What brand of ink?

leopardprints67
      Participant

@TexasPT wrote:

It dawned on me today that when we just cheerlead, nobody gets to take a step forward.

About the graywash…you have a very definite line between layers of color in areas. There doesn’t appear to be much gradation…not sure you were going for that look, though.

I watched a Mario Barth video on color blending and his suggestion was that when you go from one color to the next you DON’T rinse the needle…this blends the two in the tube for the first shot where they meet and you can actually smooth out the blend. I also watched a video on how to make a 5 tier wash system. It may make a tattoo a bit more tedious but the end product should be a better piece. (just realized the link is above)

Mario Barth video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qoRvnnEu8w

How to make graywash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kflJALktUuU&feature=related

Guy Aitcheson told me (and yes, I DID email him years ago and wtf, he actually responded!) the exact same thing. He just mixes in the tube for the most part, especially with similiar colors. If the big guys can do it, we can too.

leopardprints67
      Participant

@TexasPT wrote:

please don’t think I was knocking down the piece…I love it. I just think a focus on what can be done better is a good thing. It helps everyone grow. One thing I failed to mention is the white highlights you put in. I really think these are a game changer in tattoos.

I agree. White makes it all pop!

leopardprints67
      Participant

@Viper65 wrote:

Tex,
      thanks for the help. I actually started to get the gradient down near the end of this piece. I dont know why it didnt occur to me sooner to just cut the ink with some water and go from there?? I dont know if you have ever worked with the pig ears or not but it doesnt take much before your tearing them apart, gradients dont really go in as well as they would in skin, colors are a bit distorted, so on and so forth…
      I got a hog belly the other day taht seems to be a bit better, ill post pictures when done, ( well, as long as i am satisfied with it!!) :D

I want some piggie ears to work on, LOL. Where are you getting your pigskin from?
      And truly, the tattoo is pretty good. I’ve seen shop artists that couldn’t come close to producing that and you’re doing a metallic effect which isn’t that simple.

Viper65

Thanks guys…I do have an art background (extensive) so im familiar with the whole mixing process and what colors do to each other and the effect one will have on another. Tattooing …however, takes more practice and time in getting that process down.

Pig ears, i get them locally, fortunately our butcher has them in stock always. I just stopped by another place that will sell me pork bellies and fat backs…$13 for an entire side about the size of a normal persons back..huge!!! Luckily living in the south comes with certain benefits!!!!! :lol:

leopardprints67
      Participant

@Viper65 wrote:

Thanks guys…I do have an art background (extensive) so im familiar with the whole mixing process and what colors do to each other and the effect one will have on another. Tattooing …however, takes more practice and time in getting that process down.

Pig ears, i get them locally, fortunately our butcher has them in stock always. I just stopped by another place that will sell me pork bellies and fat backs…$13 for an entire side about the size of a normal persons back..huge!!! Luckily living in the south comes with certain benefits!!!!! :lol:

Dang,I need to find me some! I’d tattoo all damned day on my days off if I had some. I saw some pictures of tattoo artists working on LIVE pigs. Now that was a bit extreme. I’m not into decorating my bacon.
      http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/2008/05/wim-delvoyes-swine-art-own-your-own.html

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/11/24/artist-tattoos-pigs-china-farm/
      Some crazy ass shit, man.

So do you stretch it around something or just lay it flat? How do you set up the larger skin? When you’re done tattooing it, do you roll it back up and stuff it in the freezer? I would think that the skin would be really greasy and require alcohol or something to clean the grease and residue off. And probably have to shave it, too.

Tarantula

I use pig skin a fair bit, I have a buddy who is a chef and he gets bits from his supplier, some are smallish but some are fairly big. The gigger bits, yes you can tattoo on then then stick them back in the freezer, or cut off a size you want to use.
      They are pretty greasy so you need to clean them up with a bit of rubbing alchohol.
      I dont know what the ears are like to work with but the rinds that I get start to become over stretchy after a while so its good to put them back in the freezer for about 10 mins every now and then.
      If you’re stuck getting hold of pig skin you can always buy a joint of pork and skin it before cooking, atleast you can in UK I’m not sure how pork is sold over your way :)

leopardprints67
      Participant

@Tarantula wrote:

I use pig skin a fair bit, I have a buddy who is a chef and he gets bits from his supplier, some are smallish but some are fairly big. The gigger bits, yes you can tattoo on then then stick them back in the freezer, or cut off a size you want to use.
      They are pretty greasy so you need to clean them up with a bit of rubbing alchohol.
      I dont know what the ears are like to work with but the rinds that I get start to become over stretchy after a while so its good to put them back in the freezer for about 10 mins every now and then.
      If you’re stuck getting hold of pig skin you can always buy a joint of pork and skin it before cooking, atleast you can in UK I’m not sure how pork is sold over your way :)

Thanks! I’ve gotten pork roasts and had to skin them but never thought to ever preserve the skin for tattooing. Kicking myself mentally for lost opportunities!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan