• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ben.catterall
      Participant

Hey all,

I have written a few posts and replies over the past week or two and thought it was time to finally introduce myself to those interested.

My name is Ben from Sydney Australia and I am a full time Medic in the Royal Australian Navy. I started tattooing about two and a half years ago when I bought a tattoo kit from a supplier at the Sydney Tattoo Expo. I thought at the time that it would be cheaper than paying for tattoo’s as in Sydney the average price for a tattoo is about $160 per hour. Sometimes upto $220 an hour… Obviously, I was wrong, because at the time I had no idea what I was doing and was just “scratching”.

Luckily, being a medic I am very much aware of the dangers of blood borne pathogens, and the use of personal protective equipment, sterilization and a clean/sterile environment. However, I had no one to teach me so I went to the web. Luckily I found the book sold by this site and have read through it many times taking down notes on the important stuff. Also have bought a few different instructional DVD’s and Googled like there was no tomorrow.

Unfortunately due to my full time job in the Navy, and the 6 year contract to being up yet, I have not been able to get an apprenticeship as no one wants a wekkend only apprentice haha. :lol: I have been practicing on myself, family and friends who are willing to get free tattoos and have also used some practice skin and pig skin. Before I continue I would like to point out I only ever use disposable grips tips and needles pre sterilized. Plus I also dispose of nipples, cups, and all else, and only use small single use packets of vasolene and a&d ointment.

Once I get a chance, I will load up some pictures of my work as well.

What I really want is to become a full time Tattoo Artist, and I have found someone in Sydney I would love to learn under, but I am going to have a few tattoo’s done by her first to get a relationship going. She already knows I am a “scratcher” at the moment and is still willing to tattoo me so that a bonus! :)

I would love any advice you people can give me and I take critisism very well (big part of Navy life haha) so please feel free.

If there is anyone in Sydney in the same situation as me I would love to hear from you so we can confer and discuss technique etc.

Cheers,
      Ben.

sickness
      Participant

Hey whats up Ben,
      By the way, thanks for the comment you posted man, much appreciated.
      I was the same way when I first started to set interest in tattooing. Im always on google and youtube nonstop :lol:

robroy289
      Participant

Welcome Bro, we are glad to have you and would like to see some of your work!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan