• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      LarcDEAR

Hey there guys,
      I’m Jess and I’ve been working toward becoming a tattoo artist for a little less than a year now. I’ve also been working as receptionist at my shop for over 2 years now as well. My shop and mentor are amazing. We are one of the best shops in the South Jersey and I have the privilege of working with some great artists. My mentor is willing to teach me a lot but I’ve been stuck in such a rut.

We had a talk tonight where he even said himself that he was expecting me to have a machine in my hand this month. I haven’t even been permitted to scrub tubes yet. I have my bloodbourne pathogens certification, and have been drawing my ass off. What’s keeping me back isn’t my artistic abilities (I think that’s the only thing that’s keeping me there), but my unintentional carelessness when it comes to my receptionist duties. It’s a bunch of tiny mistakes that makes him nervous (understandably so).

I feel right now like I’m treading water instead of knowing which way to swim. Whenever I feel like I’m doing an ok job, something like this smacks me in the face. I’m at the shop every day and hour that we’re open, drawing every free minute I have, and I’m trying to take in as much as possible but what I’m doing doesn’t seem to be enough. I have a particular case where my mentor wants to help me along, but I seem to be getting in my own way.

If anyone has words of wisdom or any advice, I’m all ears. Thanks so much. I hope to learn and relate with you as much as possible :)

Hang in there! or.. look for another shop / mentor…
      No one can tell you the best route for you.
      Just don’t get “taken advantage of”
      Remember you are “PAYING” to learn the trade – and that DOES mean you have to put in some time at the tattoo shop.
      That also means you are working for FREE (but it’s not working for free, really..because you are getting experience)

So – I would say, hang in there

LarcDEAR

Thanks so much~ This site is great because I don’t really have anyone else I know that is going through an apprenticeship currently. I’m planning on picking the brains of the tattoo artists I work with so see what their apprenticeships were like. I will definitely be frequenting this forum :)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan