• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      UsagiTsukino

Hi I’m Karinna and I’m from Rancho Coucamonga, CA.
      I’m 17 years old and I have never been apprenticed before and I was thinking about just ordering a tattoo kit and start practicing on pig skins and grapefruits just to get an idea and see if I even want to become an apprentice in the first place.

I’ve read and watched countless tattoo related materials especially in regards to proper needle use and I’ve been trying to educate myself as much as possible on the subject without a mentor. Again I want to emphasise I’m buying this kit with NO desire to touch a needle to human skin whatsoever. I’ve been looking at all kinds of information about machines and sterilization and needle types and line work and all the tattoo related jargon you can imagine and I was just wondering if this was an appropriate approach to the tattoo world. I’ve been drawing my whole life and I constantly improve day by day with every illustration, doodle, drawing whatever. I just have trouble with scripts but I’m sure if I just practiced scripts wouldnt be too much of a problem.

Also I’m not too stable on flash. Maybe if I just did it every day and worked my creative bone on a piece of paper (I also rarely do colors) with colored pencils and watercolors I’d be able to do flash. I was just looking for tips on how to properly practice flash and such.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and advice on what I should do. If I should just wait on getting the kit and seek out apprenticeship. And how do I go about seeking apprenticeship because I dont really know anybody who’s willing or able to offer to be my mentor and what should i do if I ever meet somebody who wants to mentor me.

Thanks a lot
      Karinna

Lennart82
      Participant

Hey Karinna

Welcome to the forum. You can find tons of information in this place. :D

Now to your question, if its the right way to approach the tattoo world?
      Most in here would proberbly say; Find a mentor. Ask your mentor. Dont touch a machine without the prober training, attend an art class instead, and so on and so forth.

Here is my problem with this;
      Yes a mentor would be the better solution, but not always is this possible. And once you’ve learned how to ink a melon, or a practise pigskin, then some would say, you have destroyed your chance of learning the correct way. And if you found a mentor, he/she would have to unteach you your own way to ink. Then the mentor could teach you have he/she inks.

But again, its not always possible to get a mentor.
      And the only way, is to teach yourself how. And buying a kit? My first equiptment was a kit with 3 machines. People warned me, telling me they are crap. But I thought, well its only to get the feel of it and so on. Not listening. And I thought they were good, up until I got a prober machine.
      My advice, yes you can get a kit, but do your self a gigantic favor, and with time, buy some decent equiptment :)

I am in the same page as you Katrina, I read the book and watched the dvd. I am by no means the best artist in the world but I got skills that are natural to me and with a little practice I know I can be legit. I have tinkered and messed with my machines, understanding how it all works and also the history. I am at the point where I have tattooed myself but I almost wonder if having a profesional walk me through step by step would be the best learning process. But I currently don’t have anyone willing to appreentice me, but will search and try in the near future. For now I decided to tattoo my leg after practicing lines and small drawings on a practice skin. Of course after reading and practicing on the skin you realize that it is not the same as the real deal. All professional tattooist will have to admit at one point they were where we are and sometimes hands on is the best learning curve.. I would reccomend pursuing an apprenticeship but if you don’t mind the harsh criticism like me then you will just find a design and tattoo it on yourself. Of course knowledge is key so get to know your machines and of course once you start getting into the field finding your ink pigment is going to be a deal breaker. Pretty much get what you pay for, I still got a box full of inks that came with my kit that I will prob. never use. I ordered me some Kuro Sumi Outlining and Greywash Inks, stuff is organic and badass! Not sure if this helped but just wanted to welcome you to the forum! Good luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan