• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      TrueBlue

Silly question but what is the best/proper way to bend my front spring?

Thanks

wrathone11
      Participant

Well the first question I have in order to try to help you out is, are you talking about a front spring that you’ve cut yourself or bought from somewhere and the spring is currently flat (no bend at all)? The reason I ask is that if you have a front spring that already has an angle bend to it I would not recommend bending it any further as most likely it has all the bend it needs to do the job. If the spring is flat then of course you have to bend it, I normally use my table vise or a large pair of vise grips to bend front springs to the angle that I want. Just lock the spring in place so that it is going to be an even and clean bend then slowly bend the front of the spring to the desired angle. You can also use a roller to roll the front spring up instead of bending and get the same desired result. The important thing is going to be that the angle of the bend or roll is straight and even so that the spring is making full and aligned contact with your contact screw. I’m not really sure I’m explaining this well, but I’m giving it my best shot.

I normally buy springs from atimemachine.com or eikon and the front spring is already bent, I wouldn’t recommend bending a spring that is already bent you risk compromising it’s strength and integrity of the metal. Now back springs is another story, they typically come flat and I will sometimes bend them while tuning my machines. I normally bend the rear spring while it’s on the machine and I only bend it upwards and very little at a time, once it’s bent upwards if you try to bend it back down you will compromise it’s strength and integrity and most likely end up replacing it quickly.

I hope this helped and I apologize for my difficulty in explaining it, if I had some pics or a video or something I could have explained it better.

Tarantula

Not silly at all! Firstly read the book several times, there’s tons of stuff in there. Other than that front springs often come ready bent so just leave them like that, you can adjust the angle a little if you like but remember everytime you bend the spring you weaken the metal. The flat front springs are usually called “true” springs these are flat because the A-bar has the correct angles machined into it and the springs dont need bending.

If you make your own springs or get some that are flat you can either roll them (I do this for my shaders as I find it makes them hit softer than a bent spring). Or you can buy a jig that has the correct angles on it, this usually has a jig for making the whole a-bar set up perfectly straight.

If you’re going to bend it by hand make sure you use a vice to keep the bend straight, use an old spring to get your measurements from.

TrueBlue

I thank you for your respones and Thanks for all your help.
      Move love.

And to clear things up the spring came flat as a pancake lol

TexasPT

I bought Baltimore irons springs and they come flat. I tend to work fast so I like a short throw so all I did is with it attached to the A-bar I pulled an O-ring under it. It took a small tweak to get it to clear the nipple on the end of the Abar and they are working great.

TrueBlue

See i though of that but didnt say anything incase i looked a rite tool lol
      thanks for letting me know im not a plank xx

TexasPT

I don’t mind looking like a tool…I learn lots when I do. :idea:

wrathone11
      Participant

I’ve never thought about just pulling the o-ring under and going, sounds interesting I’m going to have to try that. I have a Baltimore Irons machine I got at the Richmond convention a few years ago and it’s a nice machine, but the first thing I did was replace the springs. The springs that were on it just weren’t cooperative with me in the whole tuning process.

I’m going to try the o-ring thing though, thanks.

Toombs

Sorry but what’s this book everyone talks about and where do I get it???

TexasPT
      Funucci

If tattoos r looking old after just did. What went wrong?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan