• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tatrookie91

I heard alot of rumors that 3 to 5 round needles are good for fine line/portraits,but what about medium to large stencils? Also if i may ask what is the proper angle or depth because sometimes the ink barely show and it hook to the skin. My name is chris iam 21 of age been researching and loving tattoos and the industry almost all my life, i had an apprentice but he move and now tattooing mobile plus at home. I have my own kit with ink etc just need advice on self discipline from novice to professional apprentices please and thanks! :ugeek:

Infamous
      Participant

The bigger your lines need to be, the bigger the needle used simple as that. Lets dissect a needle type

3RL= 3 needles, Round, Liner
      3RS= 3 needles, Round, shader

Liners are tightly knit together and shaders are spread out a little.

As for angle try to stick with no more than a 45 degree, and roughly 1.5 mm depth or about a nickel in laments terms.

Hope this helps!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

your lines arent necessary “closer together” then ends are soldered into a point whereas your shaders are soldering facing completely straight on.

For smaller pieces like micro tattoos I use fives. I never need anything smaller than a 5RL. For regular sized tattoos. About the size of my fist. I use a 7RL, and a 5RL for detail lines, then a 9RL for line weight. As my pieces grow to about 2-3 fist sizes I go up another step. 7RL for detail, 5RL for super detail [scales n shit] 9RL for your main lines, then a 14RL for my line weight. Keep in mind though you never want to stick with just ONE needle grouping. when all the lines are the same thickness it lacks dimension, and makes the tattoo look flat and boring.

this piece here I did on myself. I used a 7M1, 7RL for the main lines, 5RL for the waves, and detail lines like the scales, and the thick sharpie like line is a 14RL.

For pieces with large wide spaces like tribal, or larger traditional pieces, and less detail, go with about a 7RL for your main lines, and a 14RL for line weight, and if it fits a nice 15M1 will fill out your larger pieces, and make nice shades on your larger pieces like nothing. just make sure you have a machine that can really push that 15M1 in :3

hope this helped.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan