• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

I have startet designing an upper arm. We are on the brink of insanity here. The client wants a biomechanical theme. So I started searching high and low for inspiration.
      Now I am a huge fan of Gothic/steam punk artist John Blanche, and thought I could get some inspiration from him in my design.

Then it hit me… He isn’t the one I should be looking at. I needed to find the origin. The original.
      The grandfather.
      The godfather of Biomechanical.

H.R. Giger.

Well, online with me, and buy his art book. Just for inspiration. And love the Aliens he did, so why the heck not.

If you don’t know the guy, well, you do, I know you do. ;)

HAVE YOU SEEN THE CRAZY THINGS HE HAVE DONE?????? :o :o :o :o :o My god…. :o :o :o I had nightmares, and got completely pulled in to his world of grotesque madness. Now I can’t get the things out of my head, and keep drawing one bizarre drawing after the other. Worst part is, I am fascinated by him, and the more I peer into his work, the more sense it all makes.

Well seriously now. Any of you guys have any kind of experience with Biomechanical stuff? I have never done anything remotely like this before. Any tips? Any thing I should be aware of? Anything? Guys?? Don’t bale on me now, since I turned all Giger on you :P

And I’m a perfectionist with my drawings, so you will not see anything until I am satisfied. ;)

Infamous
      Participant

Okay, so I looked up Giger.. And, I don’t really agree that he’s biomechanical :/ Certainly sci-fi, plenty of alien looking things and technology but biomechanical? Not really.

I think of you know robotic humans and cyborg type things when I think of biomechanical. Like the guy from terminator salvation.

JDawnPearls

I wish I could give you tips, I really like biomechanical stuff. Giger is who is mentioned in my book as well, the star of that section – they wouldn’t mention anyone else. ……. but I love machine work as tattoos…. anyway – depending on what your client wants, I always liked the mechanics that appear under the skin. Turning the muscular structure into wires and saw blades, so to speak.

Don’t hate on me for the google search, but this is the kind of thing that came to my mind:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=biomechanical+tattoos&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aekUUpC5B-OO2wX9woFo&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1140&bih=731#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=P55UPY663x07BM%3A%3BRroIlMLbOH-1iM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftattooof.info%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F02%252FBioMechanical-Tattoos-20.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftattooof.info%252Fbiomechanical-tattoos%252Fbiomechanical-tattoos-20%252F%3B1699%3B1058

Good Luck !!

P.S. I understand your perfectionist habit …. ;-)

JDawnPearls
      Lennart82
      Participant

Actually Biomechanical is a style of art that combines elements of machines with organics biololy, human and animals. ;) So actually cyborgs/and robotics, dont go under the category Biomechanicle, but is a mere sub category were we remove the Bio part ;)

And actually we could devide that up to ;)

We have: (just makin a list)

Bio = Human/animal/alien gore’ish
      Biomechanical = Gigers Aliens, combining living material to machanical
      Cyborg = More robotic like human skeleton’ish (salvation terminator dude) ((Wolverine skeleton))
      Robotic = Same as the cyborg, but heres a bit more there are more pistons and wires, cables and such. Were the cyborg still looks human, once the skin is of.
      Mechanical = Or mechanism, like a clock of some sort, small washers and knots and dips, and all fine detail mechanics.
      Steam punk = the exaggerated version of mechanical. But with steam powered things. Lots of Pistons, tubes, vices, too much mechanics in one place, that once you look apon it, you think…. How the H… does this works, but you want to see it in motion ;) Think of all the things we use today. And then think everything is powered by steam. Then you have steampunk ;)

And then we have all the sub categories ending in *Punk… But thats a whole different ballgame, and most of them cant be converted to art. Well okey, if the right person comes around, I guess they could come up with something under Cypherpunk. (Not to be mistaken by Cyberpunk :ugeek: )

Well okey, this just my own opinion on how to split things op. But I hope you can see a difference in my point. Most take all of these and place them under the same catagory, which I think is a shame, since, I can see a whole world of difference here ;)

Lennart82
      Participant
      JDawnPearls

I figured that would happen so I took a screen shot. Posted to my page – (photo space on this thread is full)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201754946062121&set=o.540882952613410&type=1&theater

Lennart82
      Participant

Hmm well, I think its more mechanical actually.
      But hey, lets just leave it at this. ;)

JDawnPearls

In the end only YOU know really what you are looking for. ;-)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

to use google properly you need to click on the image, then click “View Original Image” to get the link.
      as far as BioMech try looking up the works of Guy Aitchison. He specializes in BioMech, and has a two year waiting list.

Lennart82
      Participant

Yeah Guy Aitchison is amazing :) When I grow up I wanna be Guy Aitchison ;)
      Fun thing, one of his insperations… Giger ;)

Infamous
      Participant

Why is it that the people of this forum never agree on what a genre is defined as? lol anyways I’ll just drop it. Your client knows what they are wanting

Lennart82
      Participant

Hahahaha think its in the eye of the beholder. thats why we never can agree on anything hahahahaha

Infamous
      Participant

I think this might be close to the style your looking for

http://waktattoos.com/large/Evil_tattoo_472.jpg

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@JDawnPearls wrote:

I figured that would happen so I took a screen shot. Posted to my page – (photo space on this thread is full)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201754946062121&set=o.540882952613410&type=1&theater

yeah this is mechanical, but ripping throught he skin. BioMech is Machinanical elements made from a biological source.

what infamous linked was biomech, as is this

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lysv1ijIuX1rn6fa2o1_500.jpg

Lennart82
      Participant

Infamous, yes thats not a bad idea, and I agree, thats more BioMech ;)

That one Ram, thats a beauty… Love to be able to do a colourfull piece like that.

Well okey, here I will break my own critic limit, and show you what I got so far. (Dont laugh or run away)
      Mind you, this is mostly line work, and the shades will come later.
      The reason for this is simple;
      I show the line work to my client, and explain how it will be, and what to do. (He already agreed on this design so I homesafe. :D)
      When a client gives thumbs up for the lines. I scan and copy the linework, then I shade and/or colour the original. That way, I have the stencil ready, and the original for refferences.

Think Aliens here, with machineskull/servoskull thingy operating in the back part. The bottom will be shaded and faded. (I dont think I will go skin rip on this. But if I do, I want the spikes on the left side to be sticking out and over the skin, shading it, as if it grew out and stil grows)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2el7fhj.jpg

Its an entirelig upper arm piece. And this is only to give you an idea of my project. And I will show you the end result, before I tattoo it :D

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

now that, my friend, is biomech :3

you do things backwards though!
      I normally keep my original for my stencil. that way if anything happens to the file on the pc, or the printed copy I will always have a perfect outline to rescan. I usually shade or colour a printed copy, and keep the original just an outline. I never show the client a shaded piece though. I tell them to “fuck off I do the shading in my head bitch!” XD

Infamous
      Participant

Now that is nice, I can’t wait to see it with ink!

Lennart82
      Participant

Well. perhaps. hahaha It works for me ;)

And thanks guys. I must say I am getting more an more into this BioMech… Never would have thought that.
      I cant wait to get this on skin :D

I have been drawing Biomech since I started this thread. I am making a flash bookish thing. I Will show you once its all done. But this time, I want alle the details hahahah.

Infamous
      Participant

Awesome. Are there any flash books for biomech tattoos? Could be a market for it.

JDawnPearls

I love the sketch, I love love love it. I like the idea of shading a head of time (just like a practice) so if you use your original as a reference, you are practiced. Just me.

Infamous
      Participant

I got a client who wants some biomech done also, just got the message on facebook last night! I’m super excited!

Lennart82
      Participant

I dont know if theres any flash book on BioMech. BUT I think that there might be a grand chance of it being out there. Hahaha, Its not easy coming up with anything not done before :D

@JDawnPearls wrote:

I love the sketch, I love love love it. I like the idea of shading a head of time (just like a practice) so if you use your original as a reference, you are practiced. Just me.

@Infamous wrote:

I got a client who wants some biomech done also, just got the message on facebook last night! I’m super excited!

Thats awesome. Be sure to let me see what you cone up with :D

Infamous
      Participant

No doubt :)

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan