• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Wyki

Hey guys I’ve been wanting either a squid or an octopus as a lower leg/calf tattoo… Seeing the other post of torn skin I’ve been thining of trying that out myself as a couple of tentacles coming out of my leg… Now redoing nature I find that its quite difficult. Do you guys think that a cartoonish was would look good? Or should I try my best and practice more realism? :? Thanks.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Personally I don’t like “New School” designs so it’s really up to you
      You could try an Old School Traditional design

example:
      http://25.media.tumblr.com/925a28606563f22411dcccc7e2fa6289/tumblr_mm4n5dZj1F1rd9jubo1_500.jpg

that way it doesnt have to look identical to the original specimen. just loosely resemble it :D
      i love Old School personally.

Wyki

Well…. Thats a good idea… I’ve also thought about a tribal design…..As I really like tribal work. I think its what I’m most best at, but I should not just stick to one style. :D

Infamous
      Participant

I’d like to see something like that! But maybe instead of the torn skin idea we could do a ship porthole or something on your leg and have the squid or octopus looking through it and putting a tentacle or two through the porthole..

Of course, torn skin would be cool too :ugeek:

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

example:
      http://25.media.tumblr.com/925a28606563f22411dcccc7e2fa6289/tumblr_mm4n5dZj1F1rd9jubo1_500.jpg

that way it doesnt have to look identical to the original specimen. just loosely resemble it :D

That’s traditional? In my opinion, that looks like new school and doesn’t look traditional to me.
      This looks more like a traditional:

Infamous
      Participant

link? I think you forgot something lol

Rscotti91
      Participant

Should be good to go now infamous. lol
      R.Scotti

Infamous
      Participant

I’d agree that does look more traditional ;)

I think back in the day they didn’t get so artsy with the ink. Torn skin is a relatively new-school technique, I think?

Rscotti91
      Participant

Thank you, and yeah the torn skin thing is more new school, in my opinion.
      R.Scotti

Rscotti91
      Participant

Yeah, not so intricate, artsy and using negative space to their advantage. But these are my opinions, not fact.
      R.Scotti

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant
      Infamous
      Participant

Ah. That makes sense

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Rscotti91 wrote:

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

example:

That’s traditional? In my opinion, that looks like new school and doesn’t look traditional to me.
      This looks more like a traditional:

I said “that looks like new school” not THAT IS NEW SCHOOL. The picture you posted has more of a new school feel to me than traditional. Traditional is traditional, there is no changing it. You being a professional not only should have posted a better example, but should also be setting an example for the rest of us that aren’t in fact professionals.
      R.Scotti

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

everyone has their own set of style as far as what defines what
      old school is defined by a simple design using a very simple colour pallet. the colours you get in your generic 7 piece ink sets are pretty much your basic traditional pallet of an old school piece. a new school design is way more colourful. you could look at a Sailor Jerry piece, then lets say Oliver Peck. They are both Old School, but the style of them are extremely different. You can also take my traditional pieces, and you would probably say they are more new school, but they are in fact still “Old School.” as the first kraken/octopus i linked used a very basic colour pallet of blue, black, yellow, brown, white, and red it is in fact old school. the design itself is even old school. it is just a more modern version of old school much like my own. Sailor Jerry style of pieces do not define old school tattoos. They are just the old way of doing it. every style that has been out there has been refined, and modified to fit every specific artist’s tastes, and personal flare/style.

Sailor Jerry Skull
      http://sb77.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/2213440789_06a9553899.jpg

Oliver Peck Skull
      http://www.inkedmag.com/static/images/gallery/TRAVIS_Finished_back.jpg

UCTattoos Skull
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/230546_363112427097534_553125676_n.jpg

all three have a very varied style of the old school traditional, but are all–in fact–old school traditional. the thing about tattooing is there is no end-all-be-all in this industry. every artist has their own style, and preference when it comes to their art, and how they perform, and design their tattoo work. some use rotary, personally I use coil machines. there are loose rules that define the style, but how you draw it is up to you. above are three images of three different skull designs by three different artists specializing in the old school traditional style. I’m not trying to be a jerk, im not trying to be mean, but by you telling me I should be setting an example, and telling me something I posted is not what it is is just wrong. As such I AM setting an example, and teaching you one thing about a style that means so much to me. a style that has been the basis of my work since I started this career, and even before.

Text, posts, and other forms of font based communication can be taken in a way that is not intended by the writer as the reader may interpret what the writer has written in a different way that was intended. As such, I kind of felt you were being a bit rude, and condescending in your last post. that may not have been your intention but your word choice is how it was taken. just like my word choice for this entire post may seem rude, and maybe a bit jerkish, but it is just how I am, and I taken this industry, and this style very seriously.

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

everyone has their own set of style as far as what defines what
      old school is defined by a simple design using a very simple colour pallet. the colours you get in your generic 7 piece ink sets are pretty much your basic traditional pallet of an old school piece. a new school design is way more colourful. you could look at a Sailor Jerry piece, then lets say Oliver Peck. They are both Old School, but the style of them are extremely different. You can also take my traditional pieces, and you would probably say they are more new school, but they are in fact still “Old School.” as the first kraken/octopus i linked used a very basic colour pallet of blue, black, yellow, brown, white, and red it is in fact old school. the design itself is even old school. it is just a more modern version of old school much like my own. Sailor Jerry style of pieces do not define old school tattoos. They are just the old way of doing it. every style that has been out there has been refined, and modified to fit every specific artist’s tastes, and personal flare/style.

Sailor Jerry Skull
      http://sb77.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/2213440789_06a9553899.jpg

Oliver Peck Skull
      http://www.inkedmag.com/static/images/gallery/TRAVIS_Finished_back.jpg

UCTattoos Skull
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/230546_363112427097534_553125676_n.jpg

all three have a very varied style of the old school traditional, but are all–in fact–old school traditional. the thing about tattooing is there is no end-all-be-all in this industry. every artist has their own style, and preference when it comes to their art, and how they perform, and design their tattoo work. some use rotary, personally I use coil machines. there are loose rules that define the style, but how you draw it is up to you. above are three images of three different skull designs by three different artists specializing in the old school traditional style. I’m not trying to be a jerk, im not trying to be mean, but by you telling me I should be setting an example, and telling me something I posted is not what it is is just wrong. As such I AM setting an example, and teaching you one thing about a style that means so much to me. a style that has been the basis of my work since I started this career, and even before.

Text, posts, and other forms of font based communication can be taken in a way that is not intended by the writer as the reader may interpret what the writer has written in a different way that was intended. As such, I kind of felt you were being a bit rude, and condescending in your last post. that may not have been your intention but your word choice is how it was taken. just like my word choice for this entire post may seem rude, and maybe a bit jerkish, but it is just how I am, and I taken this industry, and this style very seriously.

OK, style is one thing but old school is old school as I said before. I’ll post up some images of a local apprentice and friend by me, doing old school, but his style.

You can tell it’s old school tattoo inspired design, by the bold outlines and use of simple, basic primary colors.
      The Sailor Jerry skull and Oliver Peck skull you can definitely tell they are old school inspired designs.
      The UC skull, which I believe is yours if I’m not mistaken, doesn’t look like an old school inspired design to me.
      I like the design and it’s done well but I’m sorry in my opinion, I don’t consider that old school, no offence to you.
      I respect your opinion, but mine will not change and I’m not trying to be arrogant.
      I guess, I just have a different opinion on what an old school design looks like.
      R.Scotti

Infamous
      Participant

I think a good way to settle this, is to define old school without the visual aids.

Let’s just say anything the Old Masters would’ve tattooed would be considered old school.

In that case, we are looking at the basic color palette, big bold lines, Basic 2d drawings, non-dimensional, kind of like what we were all drawing in grade school (no offense to the old masters, there’s just stuff we can do now that they only dreamed of)

That being said I don’t see any reason why any of the designs I have seen being posted can not be considered Old School. So let’s just let that one go

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan