• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      TexasPT

This is the before picture. The “victim” works with my wife.

TexasPT

Here is the after. This was a cover-up initially that was done poorly. Rather than make the outlines thick and cartoonish I decided to just put color in. I was able to cover the name completely. Used Violet, light violet, and magenta in the flowers and green and lime green in the stems. Did my best to soften up crappy shading that was there with color and used white to put a few highlights in. Stems with 5rs and Everything else with a 9mag. Wish I would have had a larger needle.

The good part was I was able to run my shader slower this time and felt good about it. Great practice piece for me just to be comfortable. :D

Best part was the tattoo’s owner was ecstatic with what we were able to do. That’s a pretty good feeling. (the perfectionist in me is probably going to find 1000 things I could have done better.)

Mark

That’s looking good, bro, nice work :)

TexasPT

@KitchenWizard wrote:

Thanks for the shader tips…it helped for sure.

@TexasPT wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

No worries, glad to have been of help :) How did you find it? With regards depth/steadying the hand holding the machine, I just rest my hand on the client, same as I would rest my hand on a desk while writing, just remember to put a little petroleum jelly on the side of your hand though, to help it glide over the skin :)

TexasPT

I actually rested my tattooing hand so I could use it to help stretch. Her back had a lot of give in some spots so it was a three point stretch. A couple times, when the machine bogged, I felt like jacking up the voltage or tightening the contact screw…I resisted urges and ink went in well with no needle points really.

As far as holding steady, not an issue. I think I’ve just adjusted my grip a bit and it all seems to feel pretty good.

I think my biggest issue that I’m going to correct is just hand speed. I think I tend to move too fast over areas when slowing down with a softer machine would give me much better results.

Viper65

@TexasPT wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

wheres that post, id love to read it…!!!!
      thanks,
      viper

Viper65

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! :ugeek:

@TexasPT wrote:

I actually rested my tattooing hand so I could use it to help stretch. Her back had a lot of give in some spots so it was a three point stretch. A couple times, when the machine bogged, I felt like jacking up the voltage or tightening the contact screw…I resisted urges and ink went in well with no needle points really.

As far as holding steady, not an issue. I think I’ve just adjusted my grip a bit and it all seems to feel pretty good.

I think my biggest issue that I’m going to correct is just hand speed. I think I tend to move too fast over areas when slowing down with a softer machine would give me much better results.

Absolutely, I forgot to say that you can also use your tattooing hand to give a little extra stretch as well :) When it comes to depth, the only way I can describe the motion, is like how the armature with the needle on an old fashioned gramophone ‘rolls down’ onto the record… Have your hand resting on the skin, then just lean it over till the needle starts making contact at the right depth, but of course, with practice, you won’t even realize you’re doing it :)

@Viper65 wrote:

@TexasPT wrote:

thanks,
      viper

@KitchenWizard wrote:

How are you setting your color packing machine in terms of gap between contact screw and front spring? What voltage is your power supply reading? I run mine at anything from either a dime and a nickel, or two dimes gap, at 7.5 on the power pack, and had really nice results. The armature bar wasn’t even hitting the front coil, and the needle was hitting the skin soft as butter :) Great set up for shading as well, or just go over for more saturated filling. In terms of needles, I just use round shaders :)

TexasPT

@Viper65 wrote:

@TexasPT wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

thanks,
      viper

Hey Viper, the main point of it was that it takes a little bit to trust a soft hitting machine that isn’t running fast. I had a habit of being impatient and would turn up power or tighten up contact screws to make the ink go in. I wanted to see solid color first pass every time. With this last effort I had voltage right around 8 (I’m sure it is different on every power supply) and the machine would bog now and then but not stop. The result was it was easier to put in smooth rather than spotty color…it just took a couple extra passes.

One thing I noticed about this type of running gun is I need to work on hand speed. Because I was so used to jacking up power I moved real fast. You almost have to check yourself and slow down a bit so hand/machine work in harmony rather than one leading the other. That is still a focus of mine, now. I know I have a lot of work to do there.

I’m not afraid to pull my machines down to the frame…so adjustments don’t bug me at all. I am not going to reply on Chinese sweat-shop labor to tune my machine. :) Play with settings and WRITE THEM DOWN until you can identify them by sound. I use practice skins too. Even though they are not the same as real skin it gives seat time…and that is a good thing.

Disclaimer: I’m a personal trainer, not a professional tattoo artist and my input is purely that of a student and not a teacher.

Mark

Viper65

Mark..thanks bro. I hear you on some of the Mistakes, Ive damn sure made the same ones myself….A FEW TIMES.. :lol: :lol:
      I also strip the machine down to the frame and am not afraid to “Experiment” with different setting and springs to achieve different results. Its alot easier when you have that hog ear to practice on as well. Ive really enjoyed toying with the machine to get it dialed into that sweet spot!

Peace…………viper :ugeek:

@Viper65 wrote:

Mark..thanks bro. I hear you on some of the Mistakes, Ive damn sure made the same ones myself….A FEW TIMES.. :lol: :lol:
      I also strip the machine down to the frame and am not afraid to “Experiment” with different setting and springs to achieve different results. Its alot easier when you have that hog ear to practice on as well. Ive really enjoyed toying with the machine to get it dialed into that sweet spot!

Peace…………viper :ugeek:

Screw the hog ear, that won’t tell you it needs to take a break because you’ve been working on it for an hour straight ;) Living breathing flesh is the only way to practice ;) Thighs first, then victims, er, I mean, volunteers ;)

Viper65

……gotcha! 8-)

TexasPT

I was sent this picture today. This is six days out from tattooing and it is almost completely healed. I’m real happy with color and highlights. I need to keep working on blending but overall not bad.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan