• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Newbie2013

Hi there
      I am wondering if you can help
      Is it possible to tattoo colour over healed blackwork?? I seen it done with lucky diamond he has a coloured sleeve done over his black healed sleeve is this actually physically possible for many artists or is there a talent to it???
      Please reply
      Thanks

Spider
      Participant

Any cover up is a whole lot of talent, especially when it comes to color over black. A good artist will try to match the existing lines to the new one as best as possible and have a good working knowledge of color theory and how colors will blend over the years. there is alot of experiance as well, but talent and skill is primary IMO..

Newbie2013

Ah right does that account for doing a coloured piece over a black sleeve as i am confused with all mixed reviews on wether colours can be done over a black sleeve or not? Basically I have a full sleeve tribal which is awful and the lines are thick and close together so I don’t know if there is a chance of being able to have it sleeved and when it heals being able to go over in colour is that possible?

Spider
      Participant

I can’t load the image here, but if you goto http://www.darkcarnivalink.com, goto artists, then Spider’s portfolio, on there is a Koi cover up. The Koi was done over a very dark black panther with oranges, reds and yellows. It was a successful cover up because I changed the original design so that the darkest of the black areas actually became the shading in the scales of the koi and water. The best cover ups are not just laying layers of color over the existing piece, but incorporating the new piece into it, so Yes color can be done over black. Another option would be to lighten the area first with opaque white, go over the darkest blacks to fade it out enough so that your blending takes better. Makes for longer time with the person getting the ink, but if they are really wanting the piece gone then they will take the time necessary to have ot done right. Otherwise you’ll have one tattoo on top of the other in a jumbled mess in a few years. Hope that helps.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan