• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Loopi

So here is a controversial one …

Would get a Tattoo off a homosexual (I hate the word, but being politically correct) or be reluctant to give a homosexual a tattoo?

I base this on the fact that some people view homosexuals as carriers of virus ?

I am interested in your opinion on this?

i know we have artists here who will say once your safe, careful and clean you will be ok ….. but accidents happen I have worked in the health care sector for 7 years now and accidents happen! even in hospitals…

Johnny

I had to read your post a few times over to make sense of it. But here’s my thoughts on this. Sexual orentation has nothing to do with tattooing, and has no place as a discussion between a client and artist in any combination. As a professional artist you are to approach every client as if they have a comunicable disease. That is protocol. By insinuating that gay people are more likely to have a disease than straight people, you are discriminating, and ignorant. If you ever become a professional tattoo artist, a good majority of your clientele will be walk-ins. Are you going to ask them all if they are gay? Do you realize how stupid your post is? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

cjmahone66

@Johnny wrote:

I had to read your post a few times over to make sense of it. But here’s my thoughts on this. Sexual orentation has nothing to do with tattooing, and has no place as a discussion between a client and artist in any combination. As a professional artist you are to approach every client as if they have a comunicable disease. That is protocol. By insinuating that gay people are more likely to have a disease than straight people, you are discriminating, and ignorant. If you ever become a professional tattoo artist, a good majority of your clientele will be walk-ins. Are you going to ask them all if they are gay? Do you realize how stupid your post is? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

no you won’t ask them if they are gay, but almost every tattoo waiver i have signed asks if you have any diseases. most tattooers will treat you like you have one even if you say no, but if you say “yes i have aids” then they will not tattoo you.
      The lib media wants you to think that homosexuals have the same rate of disease as heterosexuals, but it’s simply not true. there are numerous poles by Gallop that prove otherwise. specifically in gay Men, their number of sexual partners is more than 10 times the average heterosexual man and their disease rates are increased accordingly.

i will tattoo a gay person. i will not tattoo any person who is honest with me and tells me they have a disease (regardless of where they stick their peepi at night). but i will asume in every situation that the person i’m tattooing is lieing to me.

Loopi

@Johnny wrote:

Firstly Johnny … my post is not stupid must be lovely to sit there the safety of your home around you calling peoples post stupid, do you tell customers their comments on tattoo they would like are stupid? wow great business man you are. Usually when men have attitudes like that its to make up for areas they lack in yours is obviously social skills amoungst others …..

Any way, I am a GAY female apprentice tattoo artist and it has been brought to my attention twice this week alone that because I live in a small town that people may avoid getting tattooed as “gays so easily pass their illness and gay gene over” and of course what a perfect plan get a gay to tattoo and watch them multiply :)

but on a serious note I am interested to know what people think, my original post was vague as I wanted to get a feel for peoples views on this.

Johnny

Well actually I was kind of sticking up for you in a pretty direct way, since your post was pretty vague and appeared to be from someone not wanting to tattoo gay people or get tattooed by someone gay. you obviously feel the need to be openly gay and let the world know who you like to sleep with, and it is ovviously working against you, which is basically what I said in my first response about not bringing your sexual orentation or lifestyle into a topic of discussion with a client. One has nothing to do with the other, so why would you feel the need to make it openly known? But I’m pretty much standing my ground with my opinion that this topic is stupid. I keep my personal life personal. If you would do the same you wouldn’t be having any issues.

Loopi

Actually! Johnny the whole thing came up while I was in the my tattoo shop, I called in to see my mentor who was out and I had to wait around a guy I know came in asking about getting a tattoo another gent who is working in the shop told him that the tattoo wasn’t his “style” and check to see if some other shop would facilitate. once this gent left the “artist” came back to me and threw his eyes up to heaven and said “bloody queen I wouldn’t tattoo him god knows what he could have” I am not open with my sexuality in the shop nor the town as people can alienate you very quickly here. When my mentor returned I was going to approach it with him but before I could the offending artist told him what he had done. both laughed and no more was mention. I am in a rock and a hard place now as I am afraid that my sexual orientation would affect my apprenticeship and all my hard work will be pointless as I dont have any other shops to attend.

the second incident was a group of my mates and I went for coffee I mentioned this incident and to my horror one said she could understand where he was coming from!!?? When I asked would she find it uncomfortable to get tattooed by she she hesitated and said no … but I knew she was being polite.

nytemareh
      Participant

While i personally would not care whether i was tattooed, or tattooing someone who was gay. There is a stigma that has stayed with the gay community (especially male) since AIDs. While this type of logic is really sad we have to understand where it comes from. It all lies in fear, and lack of education on the subject. Having worked in the medical field for the the last 7 years i have worked with people that had every disease comming and going. This is where the importance of barrier protection, and general precautions come in. This is the reason why we wear gloves, and why we are so careful to to clean/sterilize equipment. Everyone in, or considering the tattoo industry should learn/study transmitted diseases. All clients should be treated as if they have AIDs, or Hepatitis, or any other disease you can think of. Taking that approach will always keep you safe, and keep your client safe.

42.6% of all cases of aids in the united states is african americans. that is right around 470,000 people. Whites make up 32%. I hate to inform people, but all these people are not gay. That is roughly 800,000 people walking around the US with AIDs. You would never know who these people are by looking at them. 13.6% of the total population of us has hepatitis c. Somewhere around 4.6 million people. 44% of people carrying hepatitis c come from a poor economic status. So with that all being said, and the logic presented by those guys they should not be tattooing anyone.

There is only one person that knows what that person has, or does not have. Learn and use general precautions everytime, and there is no worry about what someone may have. Sorry about the slight rant, but i can’t stand narrow minded stuff like this. I personally would not be learning to tattoo from someone like this. It shows they do not have a grasp on actual statistics, or there own personal fears. These are the types of things that rub off on students/apprentices. Another thing too, is that it is his business, and he has every right turn away business for whatever reason he sees fit.

Loopi

I called back in today to see if I could chat to my mentor, after speaking to a few friends they felt it maybe something I should bring up now incase a few months they find out and penalise me. He had a full shop, this and combination of nerves I backed down!

Now I am torn I have invested about 500 euro in to this and if he doesnt keep me as an apprentice the next tattoo shop is 2.5 hours away its limits my options :/

cjmahone66

@Loopi wrote:

I called back in today to see if I could chat to my mentor, after speaking to a few friends they felt it maybe something I should bring up now incase a few months they find out and penalise me. He had a full shop, this and combination of nerves I backed down!

Now I am torn I have invested about 500 euro in to this and if he doesnt keep me as an apprentice the next tattoo shop is 2.5 hours away its limits my options :/

if his attitude bothers you, it’s because you allow it to bother you. none of us are perfect and if you are looking for a mentor who agrees with you on everything, you may be looking for a long time. if you think he’s dumb for not wanting to tattoo gay people, that’s fine but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have lots of other useful information to offer. just my opinion, but when your options seem as limited as you have described, you may have to overlook a few things to get what you need/want in the end. peace.

nytemareh
      Participant

i’m gonna have to go with cj on this one. the more information you give on this the more it seems that you should keep things under your hat.

Loopi

Its not that i am just focusing on this and when he is running through the hygiene set up I am secretly thinking “homophob”.

I get along great with the guy and he treats me well.

Well makes no difference now, I called in this morning with my partner she wants to get tunnels, I introduced her as my partner and after alot of slagging like “I was wondering why you werent falling to your knees for my hot body”. He seemed ok while she was in the back I simply said “the guy who was in the last day for the tattoo and XXXX felt he was gay and advised to get an opinion elsewhere” Then he had a moment of realisation he apologised if it made it awkward for me and said that he doesnt approve of XXXX work ethics but at the end of the day xxxx has to pay up to the shop and if he is short of the money because he turned away clients then its xxxx that has to deal with that.

So as Gay pride is coming up soon he said that I could organise a day of tattooing all tattoos are to be of pride symbols. And guest who is our first client! Mr. X! he said he knows he can be a wide mouth and say before thinking, so as he hopes I will be a member of their in house team soon he is gonna get one for me :)

nytemareh
      Participant

sounds like well done gratz.

It all can be found in worry, and absence to train and learning on the topic. Having proved helpful in the healthcare market for the the last 7 years i have proved helpful with people that had every condition comming and going. This is where the value of hurdle security, and common safety measures come in. This is the reason why we use safety gloves, and why we are so cautious to to clean/sterilize devices. Everyone in, or considering the body art market should learn/study passed on illnesses.

sickness
      Participant

First of all I am not gay, my penis wont let me. :lol:
      But I have slammed some ink to gay people before and I treat em just like how I treat the straights. I think if i worry about getting some sorth of disease from any of my clients gay or straight I would probably perform very badly. For me all I think about when I am getting ready to set up and start tattooing is that everything is on point. Meaning everything is all wrapped and clean, supplies all organized and reachable within arms reach and slammed this fking ink in the best I can and have a very happy client.
      Accidents do happen, fortunately it hasnt happened to me yet. But I think if I am focus enough I can avoid em accidents.
      I said too much haha! I hope this helps and have a good one.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan