• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rscotti91
      Participant

I have an appointment with one of the local shops to get a new tattoo next month.
      First off, STOKED!!! :D
      Second, I’m hoping to get an apprenticeship from this artist. I don’t want to go in and ask about it that night.
      What do you guys recommend me talking/asking him?
      Suggestions, tips, comments, or concerns all welcome. Please and Thank you!
      R.Scotti

angie

go straigt to the point no bullshitting! dont lick the ass lolll

Rscotti91
      Participant

@angie wrote:

go straigt to the point no bullshitting! dont lick the ass lolll

LOL! OH THANKS, ANGIE!!! I DON’T PLAN ON LICKING ASS!!! I just don’t want to be like hey here’s my portfolio, look at it. hahaa

Infamous
      Participant

LOL I love that, I think I’m going to start using it as an expression now. Blowing smoke just got way more colorful.

I would ask him how he got started and let him know you are interested in tattooing, try and get him to ask you to see the portfolio, then bring it in the next day. Hope that works.

Lennart82
      Participant

Hahahah.

Yeah I get your point, if your not a wordsmith, then to break the ice could be difficult.

Some artists love to talk about their story, they usually just have to listen to other peoples stories all the time. So just start asking about how he/she came to be a tattoo artist :D

angie

lol did i got you mad….sorry if i offense ya :)

any way hope you get it :)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

the biggest thign to remember is to not tell them you tattoo from home, and never bring in pictures of tattoos youve done. a tattoo artist would rather see 10 really awesome drawings, paintings, etc, than 100 sub par tattoos. not saying the tattoos you are doing are sub par, but tattoo artists are EXTREMELY critical when it comes to taking on an apprentice. a tattoo artist also doesnt want to feel like he/she is “working,” and having to get you to unlearn any bad habits you may have, and then reteach you everything from the basics is to them “work.” so just bring in 18-25 solid drawings or paintings, and that will be a really nice starting point for you portfolio wise. also try to keep related art together: put all your skull drawings together, all your flower drawings together, etc. the better your portfolio itself looks the better it looks on you. a nice leather bound zip up portfolio will definitely look better than one from the dollar store. this shows your commitment to actually trying to get an apprenticeship rather than showing up with a binder filled with drawings. be sure to have a nice shower the morning of, or night before. put on some cologn, or axe body spray, but not too much. just enough to make you smell nice. brush your teeth, brush your hair, if you have a hobo beard just style it up a little, etc. as you know this is a health field so the better you look/smell the better you will look to your potential employer. you could even pop in a piece of gum before going into the shop to be sure your breath is up to par. when I worked at PHILink TATTOOz we always had gum handy for our selves, and our clients. good breath means good speech. i even tossed a resume into my portfolio before my actual art work, and spend like 5$ on a small USB Flash Drive. that way you can give them something that they can keep and look at at a later date. never put your originals in your portfolio. do an outline, scan it, print it, and then shade/colour the print off. this way if your portfolio is lost, or damaged, or if your artist wants to keep it overnight you always have your original works handy.

thats all I can think of off the top of my head. sorry for the wall of text haha

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan