• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      dlHunter

Hello everyone.

My name is Dave. I’ve been a long time admirer of the Art of the Tattoo, and have huge respect for the artists that make it happen. As a photographer, I had the opportunity, along with several other photographers, to spend several hours in a local Tattoo Parlor here in Salt Lake. It was fabulous and I got many fine images of artists and clients in the process of getting new ink. It was a great experience and I hope to get the opportunity to repeat it. (No flash was used during the sessions, so as not to distract the process.)

My dear wife has no taste for Tattoo’s what-so-ever. I just bought a Kit to get started after many years of foot dragging. It arrived today. Well, Momma was not impressed in the least, and I now have the job of learning this awesome art so that she will see some value in the venture. I told her she has a nice rose in her future, she said I have a swift kick to rear in mine.

The Kit has two Rotary Machines included. Eventually, I’ll get a tradition style machine to learn those as well. I’m looking forward to developing the understanding needed to succeed in this artform, and having the opportunity to discuss the journey with the members of this forum.

Thanks.

Dave…..

Stick with practice skins and oranges for a few months –
      Then try to get an apprenticeship in a real shop – once your drawing portfolio is up there.

I’ll counter that, by saying drop your pants and tattoo your own thighs. Practice skins and oranges just aren’t the same, and you might as well learn on the medium you will be working on right from the beginning… And don’t sweat about getting an apprenticeship. It’s not rocket science to teach yourself to tattoo, and you don’t need to get some elitist artist treat you like a slave in order to do that :)

dlHunter

Thanks, so much, for the comments.

I would really jump at the chance of an apprenticeship, and will not rule it out. I have often thought how terriffic working in a shop would be. At my age (67), the chances of that happening are on par with being part of the crew on the first mission to Mars. If it happens that I find an apptitude that has commercial value, seeking an apprecticeship would be in the cards. Right now I’m in an explorational mode. I don’t plan on being your standard, scary, scratcher. If a scratcher means you don’t work in a studio, then I want to be an extremely safe, doing it all the right way, scratcher. My age may be limiting in some ways, but retirement gives me unlimited time to study.

I have always drawn and doodled my whole life, but Tattoo art is something I am now just beginning to attempt. The flash sheets I have seen on the net include some outstanding art by extremely talented artists. I used my art talent, such as it is, to a great advantage when I had my own print shop. Drawing characters of clients for advertising pieces, and graphic design for camera ready art came easily. (Camera ready art has almost been totally replaced by computer applications now.) It will be interesting to develop a portfolio of Tattoo Art. I search for images of finished Tattoos often, and done so for many years. I absolutely love the stuff.

I have been on this forum only a couple of days, but I already appreciate the talent that is here. It is awesome to find a group of this caliber willing to share, discuss and grow in this art form. Thanks to everyone.

David

@dlHunter wrote:

Thanks, so much, for the comments.

I would really jump at the chance of an apprenticeship, and will not rule it out. I have often thought how terriffic working in a shop would be. At my age (67), the chances of that happening are on par with being part of the crew on the first mission to Mars. If it happens that I find an apptitude that has commercial value, seeking an apprecticeship would be in the cards. Right now I’m in an explorational mode. I don’t plan on being your standard, scary, scratcher. If a scratcher means you don’t work in a studio, then I want to be an extremely safe, doing it all the right way, scratcher. My age may be limiting in some ways, but retirement gives me unlimited time to study.

I have always drawn and doodled my whole life, but Tattoo art is something I am now just beginning to attempt. The flash sheets I have seen on the net include some outstanding art by extremely talented artists. I used my art talent, such as it is, to a great advantage when I had my own print shop. Drawing characters of clients for advertising pieces, and graphic design for camera ready art came easily. (Camera ready art has almost been totally replaced by computer applications now.) It will be interesting to develop a portfolio of Tattoo Art. I search for images of finished Tattoos often, and done so for many years. I absolutely love the stuff.

I have been on this forum only a couple of days, but I already appreciate the talent that is here. It is awesome to find a group of this caliber willing to share, discuss and grow in this art form. Thanks to everyone.

David

With a lifetime of art experience behind you, all you need to do is learn the new medium, and that’s really not so hard :) As I’ve said before, I’ve considered many licensed studio artists to be scratchers, because their skills were below par. As long as someone follows the common sense hygiene practices, and has the necessary artistic skill, there’s never a danger of being a scratcher :)

xDreamerx
      Participant

Welcome to the site, and glad you could join. Regardless of age….you can still do whatever you want…..all in time. Give ear to all the input you’ll get here, and feel free to chime in if you feel you can help. 8-)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan