• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Hated

I just happened across the forum a few days ago. I’m 39 and I’ve been learning to tattoo for probably almost a year now.
      I’ve been an artist for as long as I can remember and took 3 years of commercial art classes as a vo-tech option in high school where i learned various art subjects but mostly concentrated on airbrush and oil mediums. Needless to say that was quite a while ago and since I stared learning tattooing I’ve also had to go back relearn a lot of basics like color theory/color wheel.

I’m working on building a small studio on my property based off of the tattoo studio health codes, just for drawing flash and doing tattoos as a hobby. I dont have an apprenticeship as where i live there are just a few shops and they are flooded with people wanting to learn. I wanted to learn when I was 18 but i’ve had this unhealthy phobia of blood and needles since i was a little kid. I never thought i could handle it but then one day my stepdaughter went to get her first tat and I went along just to harass her, it was being done on the top of her foot no less.

I sat there watching the artist do his thing and i realized that for some reason my phobia didn’t affect me at all and thats when i decided to try it for myself. So now i have a new obsession :lol: this stuff consumes my days and nights. I’m constantly reading, watching videos or reading forums trying to pick up any info i can on how to improve.

I went to visit a friend yesterday, hadnt seen him in about 2 yrs since my wife and I bought a house outside of where we used to live. I knew he has been doing tats for 20+ yrs but never really talked to him about it. He also build and repairs all kinds of bikes but mostly H-D and back when we lived closer i spent a few days a week helping him with mechanic stuff and he taught me a massive amount about rebuilding my old harley, sort of a bike building apprenticeship ;)

anyway i took my tat machines along and while i was there i asked if he could help me tune them a little better and I also picked his brain for some tips on better outlines, shading and coloring. meanwhile I didnt find out till the ride home that our wives were talking and his wife asked what i have been up too and mine says “working on building his chopper and learning to tattoo” and his wife says “well my husband has been looking for someone to apprentice for tattooing and fixing bikes” :shock:

Turns out there are things i never knew about him like he owned a tat shop for years, he also spent years traveling around doing tattoo at a popular, traveling biker mag event and he has been licensed in most of the states in the US. I didnt talk to him about possibly mentoring me but I may be doing that real soon. I’m also BBP certified through my job but I’m going to take the tattoo specific BBP and CC courses online real soon, I’d like to get state licensed but the application requires BBP/CC courses as well as the name of the licensed shop you are working in so that just isnt possible right now. I wanted to have my this studio I’m building state licensed but the zoning/building usage as well as the ADA requirements for a business make it impossible. :roll:

heres one of my recent pigskin practice pieces.

Viper65

Welcome and best of luck in your venture!!!

Hated

Thanks, things are going well so far and getting better every day. after 18 yrs in commercial aviation i am ready for a change and to be able to do something i really enjoy is an added bonus.

Hated

I got my copy of the basic fundamentals book in the mail today, just started reading through it a little while ago but it seems pretty good so far.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan