• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      NawtyNord

Hello everyone I am 30 years old. I tried to get apprenticed for a couple years in my early 20’s without luck. Artists in my area were not taking on anyone at the time. I am currently in Afghanistan and finally attempting to teach myself, I have been in the middle east off and on for the last 8 years. The internet and books is pretty much my only hope right now. Spend my off time reading, playing guitar and trying to get my machines right. I am here to learn and look forward to this forum. Any advice from experienced artists will not be lost on me and I look forward to the help and criticism. I have attached a link to the first tattoo I have been working on. It is not finished and is a work in progress. I don’t think I had the machine hitting hard enough because it faded quite a bit after the peel. I just kind of started winging it. I am very ambitious and sometime I think I got in over head with this piece. I would like to do some Mag work in between the solid black rays and I’m looking for some tips. I have been an artist, painting and drawing my entire life. I have wanted to be a tattoo artist since I was 15, just didn’t have the discipline and drive when I was younger. Thank you for reading!

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/NawtyNord/

You picked up a copy of the book Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo?
      Where you at in AFG?
      I am w/ USMC right now out here as well!

xDreamerx
      Participant

Well being ambitious is part of doing what you want to do. I feel the same way..even got “ambitious” tattooed on me lol Anyhow, stay safe over there. The Admin here Jordan is also over there so I’m sure you two will have lots in common.

Also…as always…I may sound like a broken record but pickup a copy of BASIC FUNDAMENTAL tattoo book by Jordan. Very good and in depth for all levels.

Any other questions feel free to ask here!

NawtyNord

Thanks for the welcome guys. I had a really great reply written but my internet over here in Bagram is terrible and it never sent. I purchased the book “Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattooing” and was really impressed. I have purchased quite a few others over the last few months and many of them fall flat on any actual useful information. I am working in Afghan as a contractor after 8 years in the Army, 3 tours Iraq, 1 Afghan. Been here as a contractor for 18 months and have 13 more to go. I really liked the machine and voltage theory sections of the book. The big challenge I am having now is using magnums. Just haven’t seemed to find my niche yet. Spotty fades.

I did a flash tattoo last night on a friend using the tuning principles from the book and got great results….

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/NawtyNord/Strickstattoo2.jpg

xDreamerx
      Participant

I love curved mags and just regular mags! Those are my tools of choise. I’ll use flats every so often if the piece calls for it. Nice piece there. Was trying to zoom in to check out shading. Looks good from the pix though. Right on.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan