• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      cillalea5005

Hey! I am a 42y/o woman just getting started in tattooing. I have been a nurse 4 almost 20yrs now and have been feeling the beginning of burnout for awhile now. I started thinking about tattooing a year and a half ago.I got serious about it a year ago. I have been drawing,painting and doing other forms of art as a hobby all my life. So I went and bought every book/DVD on the subject I could find. I discovered that what they say about an apprenticeship is true. Like nursing,you can read about it forever,but U won’t be a great nurse until U watch other nurses. Unlike nursing,this is so hard 2 get into. I have studied with some “home-based” tattooists,but I was unhappy with their lack of use(and knowledge!) of universal precautions. In fact, one of the 1st guys I watched just gave his client a wicked MRSA infection that required emergency surgury. I know I am older than most apprentices,but I hope to find one soon. I have been doing actual work on family and friends.Anyone with any words of wisdom or support,would be appreciated.Wow! I didn’t mean to write a novel on my 1st post…I didn’t mean 2B so long-winded! any/all responses will be appreciated!

tattoo123

Honestly I think your age does not come into play here. But with age and work experience does come that skepticism concerning “universal precautions”. Both my wife and I have held and currently have jobs that uphold universal precautions, and come on… you know as a nurse… @#$$% HAPPENS! Does anyone die??? No. Be careful. As careful as you possibly can. Treat yourself and any one that volunteers to be tattooed as a “patient”. Matt

cillalea5005

Matt,
      True, #@&^% happens. Even the best nurse can break a sterile field. Do people die? Usually not……but how many times have you heard of someone going into the hospital with one thing, then the next thing you know-they have a “hospital based” infection. From what I have experienced and read, I dont think i am getting too caught up in the universal precautions thing. It is not a hard concept, you just have to get used to doing it. I have not apprenticed with anyone in a shop yet, so I am sure I will learn alot about the way to do things…and probably the way not to do things.
      Above all else, I don’t want to ever cause someone to have an infection/illness and I don’t want to get one. That is what I believe. Would I ever tell someone who is trying to teach me to tattoo “OHHHH NOOOOOO!!!!! you just broke your field. You gotta start over with a fresh set up”-absolutely not. When i first got out of nursing school, i learned that the ideal way to do things was not always the way things were really done. I didn’t mean to come across as anal retentive on the subject, because I am not. I know universal precautions,but I am learning how to tattoo. Hopefully one day, when I am on my own, I will be able to combine the 2, so that no one ever has to suffer with something that I could have prevented. As you know, it isn’t hard to use them, you just gotta get used to it.
      Thanks for the reply. I didn’t mean to sound sanctimonious, and apologize if I did.

Peace, Cilla

xDreamerx
      Participant

Welcome to the site Cill.

Age is no concern…..guess your passion will determine how far one goes ultimately. Nonetheless this is the place….errr….well one of several places you should continue to follow and be involved with as to continue your pursuit of tattooing and all the little goodies that come along with it.

I do appreciate the fact you are concerned about the sterile side of it. To me there is NO EXCEPTION. I personally treat all potential clients as if they have every disease known to man. Period.

Anyhow welcome to the site. Feel free to share your artwork if you got some.

Welcome –
      Did you get a copy of Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo?
      Where are you in Arizona?
      I currently live in Phoenix…
      : )
      Have to show me your work…
      Best of luck to you!
      -Charles CR Jordan
      http://www.TattooRadar.com
      http://www.ArizonaTattooMagazine.com
      http://www.TeachMeTotattoo.com
      http://www.Tattoo-Apprentice.com
      http://www.MyFirstTattoo.info

cillalea5005

Hey!
      Thanks for the reply! Yes,I have a copy. Super informative! Seriously one of the best books I have read on tattooing,and I have read alot.
      I am in Mesa,AZ. Originally from a small town in central IL, but i’ve been here in AZ. for 15yrs,so I definatly call AZ home. :D
      Can’t wait till u get back here. would like to make appt. to get some work done. Maybe learn some skills by watching you work! :D (and maybe ask some questions,if it wouldn’t be considered too out of line….)
      Meanwhile,stay safe! again thanks for the reply!

cillalea5005

Hey Everyone!
      AZ Tattoo expo is a month away. Super excited! Today is my birthday….YIKES!

Everyone be safe and have a great day!

Cilla :D

xDreamerx
      Participant

@cillalea5005 wrote:

Hey Everyone!
      AZ Tattoo expo is a month away. Super excited
      Cilla :D

Happy late b-day!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan