• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Just a quick message to say a bit about myself. I’ve spent the last 10 years hanging out in tattoo studios talking to artists, and been working in various artistic mediums for 20 years. I’ve recently started to learn to tattoo, after trying a fellow wizard’s equipment, and want to make a career of it. Not in it to make big bucks or to ‘be a name’, just hoping to put food on the table and keep the wife happy :) I’m not ashamed to call myself a kitchen wizard, as that is what I am. Before anyone says ‘get an apprenticeship’, not only are there none available locally, but spending 10 years in studios has taught me a lot about the art, and it is now just a matter of putting that knowledge into practice. I’ve re-built my machines from when they were purchased, only ever use disposable tube/tip/grip combos and disposable needles, and have a sound knowledge of sterile procedure. Sorry if that comes off as defensive, but figured it was better to say it now, than to wait for the ‘get an apprenticeship’ comments as if I knew nothing about tattooing at all. My other main interest/passion, is watch collecting, and I hope to get to know you all in time :)

xDreamerx
      Participant

Welcome to the site man.

So did you spend the last 10 years hangin out in your local shops? If you did I would think after all that time they would consider you for an apprentice?

Anyhow no need to worry about comments about what your doing wrong or how you should be following certain rules. This place is pretty laid back mostly with people trying to help. I suppose it depends on the topic you bring up though lol

Anyhow welcome and please share some of your flash art here on the site…..I’ll eventually get around to posting more of my own lol

Ryan Lee

I would recommend being bloodborne pathogen certified through OSHA.

@xDreamerx wrote:

Welcome to the site man.

So did you spend the last 10 years hangin out in your local shops? If you did I would think after all that time they would consider you for an apprentice?

Anyhow no need to worry about comments about what your doing wrong or how you should be following certain rules. This place is pretty laid back mostly with people trying to help. I suppose it depends on the topic you bring up though lol

Anyhow welcome and please share some of your flash art here on the site…..I’ll eventually get around to posting more of my own lol

Thanks for the welcome :) At the time when I was mostly hanging out in one studio, I didn’t have the confidence in my ability to consider apprenticing, so never brought up the subject, and since moving, things changed back home and the artist no longer tattoos, but teaches full time, so it was just one of those things. The studios in my new town (and the people) are much less friendly, and view anyone who can put pencil to paper as competition, so to say there aren’t apprenticing opportunities, is an understatement :D And of course, I wasn’t in the studios constantly, I did work as well :D I’d be happy to post some photos of my stencils and work I’ve done so far, but I’ve been having trouble uploading stuff, and need to re-size the images. I’ll get round to it though :)

@Ryan Lee wrote:

I would recommend being bloodborne pathogen certified through OSHA.

When I get to the point of opening my own studio (because no studios locally take on apprentices) that is part of the requirement, so of course, it’s something I’d do. At the moment, I work on the principle (which I’ve seen others mention) of treating everyone as if they have every disease under the sun, and using suitable sterile procedures (bags/disposables/gloves/sterile area etc) Sure, autoclaves are expensive, but gloves and needles are not, so there’s never a need to skimp on hygiene :)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan