• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My name is Lysa and I’m glad that I found this forum. I’m 42 and have been involved in the art world for 30 years. I’m a mom of 5, grandmother of 2. I’m also a published writer and a stand up comedianne. In fact, my sense of humor is the only thing that’s kept me going.

A bit about me:
      I’ve been tattooing on and off again for a few years. I had a 4 month apprenticeship that fell through due to distance and vehicle issues with a very talented artist in Freeport, Il, named Keith Kok.

A couple years later, I paid a large sum to a local shop where the woman pretty much did nothing, but ask me to be her piercer. She wouldn’t even teach me anything. All she did was sit down stairs and smoke weed with her friends and take off for the entire day. I finally left there after 9 months of disappointment. She was so homophobic, that she got “freaked out” if I got too close to watch her and I’m not even gay! I was taught nearly nothing. I practiced on willing friends in the shop and studied everything I could about tattooing.

A couple years later, some friends of hers opened a street shop and asked me to start with them. I showed the guy that was running it my stuff and was hired on the spot. Now, mind you, after ALL of this, I pretty much was barely midlevel apprentice. And I quickly found out that he had NO artistic ability, whatsoever and frankly, wasn’t much better than I was. Again, was taught nothing new and after 6 months the shop fell apart due to poor management.

I’ve been tattooing on my own, learning as best I can. I’m a natural artist with gallery and art shows under my belt. I love this form of art more than any other medium I’ve tackled.

I’ve gone from shop to shop locally with little success. They all say I’m a great artist, but then say, “Pay us $5000 -$ 10000 and we’ll help you”. I’m a mom. I’m broke. I simply don’t have money for this. I also had a shop tell me that I had potential, but and I quote, “You’re too fat, too old and not pretty enough to work for us”. I am so discouraged but refuse to give up.

I’m here because I have questions I need answered. I cannot give up this art form. I’m willing to do all I can to learn with a mentor, but until then, I’m here to educate myself as much as possible.

I’m on Facebook if anyone wishes to add me, send me a private message.

Lysa,
      Did you get a copy of the Book Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo?
      I think you would really enjoy it.
      Best of luck!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan