• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      NDM1973
      Participant

I have been stalking this forum for the past few days and checking out some of the topics. It seems that this place is pretty level, and the information is good.

So here’s a bit of info about myself:

I have been interested in tattooing since I was 18; I will be turning 40 this year and I figure it’s about time to make this dream a reality. During those years, I read a few different tattoo manuals, some good , some bad. I bought myself a small two machine kit in the early 2000’s, and modded it with Eikon springs and A-bars. (before Eikon asked for credentials.) I even did a decent tat on my left palm.

And now…

Starting from scratch. Going in with a beginners’ mindset. Looking to soak up all the knowledge I can. Just ordered this kit from Hildebrandt. http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-rotary-tattoo-machine-starter-kit

Not looking to be the “ROCK STAR!” tattoo artist, but rather a level-headed, friendly ink-slinger.

Anyway, pleased to meet everyone.

Demeer Black

Thank you for posting the link, am seriously looking for my first kit and rotary sounds like the way to go, let us know how it turns out…

NDM1973
      Participant

So my kit came in… http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-rotary-tattoo-machine-starter-kit

Wow. Very impressed with Hildbrandt. In their kit they do include the book that C.R. Jordan wrote, as well as plenty of other goodies in the way of instructional material.

Hildbrandt’s “Tattoo Crash Course 101” is a small pamphlet that right after the Table of Contents they offer the best advice any tattoo supply company can offer: “Get an apprenticeship”. They do go on to mention that yes, this is a starter kit but they do not condone the to foolish act of tattooing yourself or anyone without knowledge of what you are doing. The starter kit is so an aspiring tattoo artist may practice with the machines and inks that professionals use, and have the chance to familiarize themselves with proper tattooing implements. In order to gain skills it comes down to practice, practice, practice. Practice on pigskin, melons, fake skin… whatever medium you choose that is close to human skin, just not the “real deal”

They also provide a look at the company history, and how Hildbrandt came to be and a bit about their machines and how to tune them. Mixing inks, needles and other supplies they offer. Plenty of good info in their 38 page pamphlet.

In the kit, there is also a 7 chapter Tattoo Training DVD featuring Ron Phelps, a tattoo artist with 30+ years of experience who has trained many an apprentice.

All in all, I am going to be quite busy over the next few day with all the reading and videos I want to watch.

Cheers!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

welcome to the forum
      hope to see some pics of your art and such

i see a lot of people buying that tattoo kit
      what’s nice about rotary machines is there isnt any tuning involved
      they are basically “plug and play”
      however, they are VERY specific with how they run
      you need to do a tattoo the proper way or itll turn out terrible
      different rotaries hit hard or soft or REALLY hard so you need to be careful
      with coils there is some leeway with your technique it doesnt need to be flawless
      also with coils you can adjust practically everything if you feel you rmachine is hitting too hard or what have you

good luck dude and hope to see more of you

i personally use coils because i can customize them to my own benefit

Breach

Looks like your order shipped out on Monday and arrived Wednesday.

I ordered tonight, so hopefully my kit will ship tomorrow and arrive Saturday!! ;)

This is the kit I ordered:

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/the-hildbrandt-professional-tattoo-kit-system

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

good choice breach :)

Breach

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

good choice breach :)

Thanks. :)

It really seemed to be the best ‘Bang for the Buck’ deal I could find anywhere.

I really don’t mind dropping a grand on a few high end guns if this turns out to be something I like. Right now, I just wanted something with decent quality to get to know the machines, practice with (on fruits/melons/pig parts) to see if I can do a decent job before I decide if this is something I want to pursue.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

that kit actually comes with some great guns
      the reason they are inexpensive is because hildbrant makes the parts, and builds the machines on site, so they can charge significantly less :)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan