• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hi I am Melissa and I am so glad I found this site this is amazing. Well anyways a little bit about myself. I am a 26 year old female in Florida and just recently found out that I want to be a tattoo artist. I am married and have a two year old son, which to many seems like a weird time to be finding my place in the art community. I have always known I wanted to be an artist sense I was real young. I drew anything and everything and of course still do, but now I know how to oil paint, create graphics, sculpt, and I even know photography.

I have worked as an art work study at my college and obtained an Art Editor Internship, I have been a banquet waitress, and a photographer for the worst companies. I originally wanted to be an animator for Disney but the year I moved to Florida to go to college was the year they got rid of the animators at Disney World. Therefore, I switched my idea to just Fine Art and while there in college I really started to appreciate photography and graphic design as well. Therefore, after I obtained my BFA degree I decided to enroll in Gradschool for photography online but the Academy of Art screwed me over and I had to drop out and switch to the University of Florida, which I am now enrolled in trying to obtain my Masters in Art Education.

What brings me to want to be a tattoo artist is the idea of actually being able to have my work sold and viewed by many people, I don’t care if I become famous I just want to have my work out there for people to see and I don’t want to be in the corporate job world just so I can live. I want to be happy, and no I do not have any tattoos on my body I love the idea of tattoos, but I know myself I am my worst critic and if I did get a tattoo it would have to be perfect and done by myself and safely, but I doubt I would get one. I want to work as a Professor as well and hopefully inspire other artists to be tattoo artists, because the tattoo schools out there are jokes. I want to make tattooing a real art form instead of it being called a lifestyle. I wouldn’t put oil paint on my skin I put it on canvas, my canvas in this aspect is other’s skin (they are my walking displays of art not me).

I just went for my first ever apprenticeship interview today and I showed my best work and I just hope they see my talent and not just the fact that I don’t have any tattoos. I will keep you posted as to if I hear back or not the guy took my number and seemed to be very interested in my work so we will see what happens I guess.

sorry this is so long just want to give you where I come from,

Lennart82
      Participant

Welcome to the forum Melissa.

I so can relate to your story.
      As a struggerling artist, you very rarely get through. And with tattoos your art will be achknowledge and will be shown to others.
      I have a corporate job at this moment. And its killing me. Only way I can get through the day, is by knowing tha; tonight I’m gonna do a tattoo. I get all hyped, once I finish a tattoo, my heads in the cloud. Hands over head. This is what I do, this is my life. I am a tattooist. My job…. Oh my… So frustrating, so boring, soul killing even. I cant wait until I can say to the boss; “Good day sir. And good bye!”
      At this moment, I still need the job… :cry:

But welcome again. Please show us what you can do, and post your work :D

JDawnPearls

Welcome to the forum !!! You are at the right place to stay in touch with others with the same interest / profession. This forum has kept me inspired and going in my portfolio so that I can tackle my career choice with more knowledge and confidence.

Good Luck and I can’t wait to see what you can do !!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

congrats on all your art schooling! :3
      Hope your apprenticeship interview goes well :3
      as far as “Turning tattooing into an art form” well it is an art form
      there are many different styles within the tattoo industry that arent seen anywhere else
      i wouldnt say its a lifestyle as much as a family really. Tattoo artists stick together, and they help eachother however they can. Even if they don’t know you if you are a fellow artist most will give you a hand if you fall down. the hard part is getting your foot in the door and finishing an apprenticeship.

The way I see it is the body is a temple, and I’m simply painting the walls of my clients to help others see the beauty of their soul.

Lennart82
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

congrats on all your art schooling! :3
      Hope your apprenticeship interview goes well :3
      as far as “Turning tattooing into an art form” well it is an art form
      there are many different styles within the tattoo industry that arent seen anywhere else
      i wouldnt say its a lifestyle as much as a family really. Tattoo artists stick together, and they help eachother however they can. Even if they don’t know you if you are a fellow artist most will give you a hand if you fall down. the hard part is getting your foot in the door and finishing an apprenticeship.

The way I see it is the body is a temple, and I’m simply painting the walls of my clients to help others see the beauty of their soul.

Well spoken :)

Yes Tattooing is art. For me, its a step above art ;) Its another level, that cant be compared.

Thanks everyone! How do I post images because the attachment thing doesn’t work it says limit reached and won’t let me put one. Do I need to put a link or something?

Lennart82
      Participant

You could use a picture uploader, and place the link in a url

Photobucket
      tinypics

there are plenty of them out there ;)

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/MelissaHearonChampion/slideshow/Paintings

Hope you like my work! This is my oil paintings and drawings

Lennart82
      Participant

Seems the link is empty :(

JDawnPearls

I saw them, did you have some up in a Gallery? I like your use of color on the first four faces. Is that oil? I love how oil can make something so vivid. Good Work ! Do you have pencil sketches, or more to show? Going into tattoing is a great decision, pencil drawings help you learn more about that.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Pencil drawings will always be your best bet to get your practice in. That’s one of the reason we have a “How to Practice” section :3
      a normal portfolio normally has 15-21 pencil drawings of tattoo designs in various styles and colours.

To answer your question about if my work was up in a gallery the answer is yes I had my work up in the art gallery at my college every year. Due to switching to photography for awhile trying to obtain my grad degree I do not have as much drawings as I would like to have I am starting to draw more again. My paintings are oil paintings and started off with charcoal on canvas first and then built up layer by layer with paint. I love color and realistic/conceptual work and have done graphic like drawings on my computer too.

Thanks for your comments it is really helpful,

Melissa

Glad to hear from you Melissa, i also have kids. Three little tattooists , they always drawing their hands.

Yes tattoo is an art, special one because you really have to match the right drawing to the proper character. In this way the drawing becomes alive and follows the circle of life.

That is something you cannot see in a picture.

Lennart82
      Participant

@Grtattoo salvia wrote:

Glad to hear from you Melissa, i also have kids. Three little tattooists , they always drawing their hands.

Yes tattoo is an art, special one because you really have to match the right drawing to the proper character. In this way the drawing becomes alive and follows the circle of life.

That is something you cannot see in a picture.

+1
      Totally.
      And with tattoos you not only have to think; the design, the idea, the technique, the materiel, ink, machine, power and so on. You have to remember a tattoo is done on a living canvas. You have to see the flow of the body lines, were things would look good, look awesome, be terrible and a completely NO GO.

I personally love using charcoal :D And have applied some techniques to tattooing, but far from everything. Oil on canvas, yes, I have done alot of them as well. But for oil paint, and other paint types, there is a world of difference. Yes you will have knowledge in colour handling, and the colour wheel, and the mixing/blending of colours. But thats about it. (Okey okey okey I wouldnt say its a waste of time, thats not what I mean. And every time you learn new stuff, and have experience in something, you can apply something.)
      The one thing thats closest to tattoo is watercolour (Uhh I do like that as well)

The best advice, pencils and markers…. Thats the way to go.
      And computer graphic drawings…. Uhm… Don’t show those (at first meeting) to ANY upcoming mentor of yours. They would be like… “Nice…. :roll: so you can do computers. You cant copy paste a tattoo.)

I know this sounds abit rude or arrogant even, but its only to help. Hand drawings is the way to go, if you plan on making it in the tattoo industry. ;)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan