• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there..
      My name is Sean & I am new to the tattoo world..kindof.
      Im from Canada, and I am eager to learn!
      I love drawing with pencils, I dont do or very much like painting too much Ive always prefered pencils.. I really would like to tattoo, I went out and bought myself a tattoo kit that came with practice skin to learn on and for the past two months I have been practicing on the skin and oranges, I then (I know Im gunna get hated on for this, and as Ive learned from the show NY Ink Im going to be called a “scratcher” lol) I did a couple on myself (small ones) and then friends have bugged me to do some on them so I did free of charge (they are willing to let me practice on them for some reason) But I dont really want to do that as I dont want to be the reason their skin is scarred up or not looking nice. I can do the outlines and everything well, I think I have a very steady hand, but the outcome of a tattoo did not come out the way I would have liked it too. Being the reason why I am here, I would love to learn.. An apprenticeship is somewhat out of the question as right now I am working, I have a daughter on the way and I am a College student.
      Am looking forward to talking to the guys and gals here, hopefully I dont make any enemies calling me a “scratcher” lol

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

welcome to the forum dude!
      buy the book from this website, and use youtube
      youtube helped me a lot when i was first starting
      The angle and depth of your needle are VERY important when doing a tattoo
      as well as how your machine is tuned
      when setting your voltage ignore what people say for a set voltage, and go by sound
      turn it ALL the way down and slowly turn it up
      you’ll hear what i call “kicking over”
      the it goes from a dull sound to a new higher sound
      that is the sound of the armature bar hitting the coils, then the contact spring hitting the contact screw
      thats the sound you want
      once you get that sound turn it up 0.5-1.0 volts and you should be fine as far as voltage!

i start on skin. ive never used fruit or practice skin which was very stupid of me
      personally i HATE practice skin. i tried to use it once and hated it. its nothing like real skin
      also dont use oranges use honeydew melon. its the fruit that is closest to human skin my friend
      as far as tattooing yourself that is utterly fine, and acceptable.
      thats how most of us started out for practising

anyway if you have some questions feel free to ask
      check out youtube
      and buy the book from TMTT
      welcome again my fellow canadian!

Thanks man I appreciate it :) I will have to look, I knew the depth of the needle was a factor but I wasnt aware of the angle, I hold pencils funny so its lead me to hold my tattoo gun at an angle!
      I do great outlines but when its all healed it looks somewhat scratchy, like I didnt go deep enough or I went to deep and I was so confused cause I have been practicing on the dept, I will try angle neext time! Thank you :)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

sometimes it is your voltage, or how you machine is tuned
      if your machine isnt tuned properly youll get that “biting” effect
      you want a nice clean and consistent sound :)

Cheers :)
      I am going to hook it up without the needle it in in a few minutes and see what kind of sound I can get, I was told to keep it on 10v but like you said its all on the sound, do you know any good youtube channels I can take a look at?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

i just searched stuff like “How to tattoo” “How to shade” etc :)

robroy289
      Participant

Welcome

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan