• This topic is empty.
Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      lsheffler

I got my kit as a gift, let it sit for over a year without touching it and just recently got it out and started reading up on things and turning towards videos but I’m nowhere near getting an apprenticeship I live in a small town, with no help to turn to till I joined here. I have a kit that is already falling apart, okay my first question is my power supply.. the numbers read 24.7 and don’t go up or down when I want to change the voltage do I need a new one? I told a friend who is currently apprenticing with a tattoo artist about some things and without him being able to look at it he’s not able to tell. My machine is running really loud and i read in the basic fundamentals book that you should look for the a-bar ghost and mine does not have a ghost, so I’m confused as to if I need to buy a new power supply, if i don’t have it tuned correctly, if its just my machine or what is going on because my front spring and my contact screw are “sparking” not to where its flying everywhere and I followed the nickle and dime trick. Please help!!! I feel like an. idiot

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

you’re not an idiot
      the sparking could be caused by the fact that your power supply is running so high
      can you get me a picture of your power supply, front and back, and me pics of oyur machines front and back please? :)

lsheffler

I tried posting pictures but its saying its invalid how else can I post them?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

register at http://www.photobucket.com and upload them there and post the url on here :D

lsheffler
      Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

you posted the same picture 5 times ^^;

lsheffler

I’m really sorry… I’m just now figuring this out. Let me try again.

lsheffler
      Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

see what I was looking for on the PSU was a Voltage indicator on the back. Some can be switched between 115V [American] and 230V [European] and that will make you have some issues with the PSU. It doesn’t look like oyurs has that. Without being able to toy witht he PSU itself I cant say for sure. However, it does look like a cheap PSU, so I do recommend replacing it. Hildbrant has some good stuff at decent prices.

As far as the machines it’s hard to tell without clear close ups, but from the two pics I’ve seen they do look like pretty cheap machines, but I doubt that’s your issue here.

lsheffler

Yeah I really have no idea, my friend said he could look at them today so maybe he could let me know for sure. I did take the kit in to a shop before and had it looked at and was told my coils won’t last long and that they would need replaced after a couple uses. So I’m assuming I’m just gonna need to replace everything because my ink is crappy too.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

pretty much. Hildbrant has the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Their machines are manufactured at their facility, and they use their own parts and such so they are pretty inexpensive, and a lot of professional artists swear by them.

i made the same mistake you did
      i bought a kit off of ebay then ended up spending hundreds of dollars replacing everything D:

for ink I recommend Eternal, Alla Prima, Intenze, Starbrite, and Kuro Sumi :)

lsheffler

Yeah I’ve checked into the eternal ink, a friend recommended skin candy ink and he told me it was good and inexpensive until I went and checked myself and saw id be spending like nearly $200 and getting less then you would paying nearly half that for eternal ink and getting more for your buck.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I havent heard any good things about skin candy personally. check out http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com they have very reasonable prices
      you can get 3 bottles of Kurosumi 6oz for 45$ if i remember correctly

lsheffler

What is your opinion about ordering things off superiortattoo.com?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I’ve heard some good things. I mainly use Hildbrant as I like their prices, and they do not have a minimum order size like a lot of places do. I can go in, and order a 4$ armature bar and have that be the extent of my order. :)

lsheffler

Okay, I’ll have to check that out. Seems like your the only one helping me with things so thank you.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

no problem
      there are other people around that help, but a lot of them are super busy. I usually make time to check the forum a couple times a day

the guy who runs the site has like 30 other projects on the go so he doesnt get a lot of time to check on the forums, and stuff. plus he travels a lot

one of the global mods recently opened his own shop so hes been super busy. we have a lot of members but a lot of em don’t check the site very often because the forum hasnt been very active lately, and a lot of people will make a welcome post, and never post again haha

we need to do a massive clean up

lsheffler

Well then thank goodness for you, otherwise is still be stumped on my problems.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

haha np man just glad I could be of assistance

lsheffler

Next time say np girl or chick or ma’am or something. Haha

robroy289
      Participant

@lsheffler wrote:

I got my kit as a gift, let it sit for over a year without touching it and just recently got it out and started reading up on things and turning towards videos but I’m nowhere near getting an apprenticeship I live in a small town, with no help to turn to till I joined here. I have a kit that is already falling apart, okay my first question is my power supply.. the numbers read 24.7 and don’t go up or down when I want to change the voltage do I need a new one? I told a friend who is currently apprenticing with a tattoo artist about some things and without him being able to look at it he’s not able to tell. My machine is running really loud and i read in the basic fundamentals book that you should look for the a-bar ghost and mine does not have a ghost, so I’m confused as to if I need to buy a new power supply, if i don’t have it tuned correctly, if its just my machine or what is going on because my front spring and my contact screw are “sparking” not to where its flying everywhere and I followed the nickle and dime trick. Please help!!! I feel like an. idiot

I had a cheap power supply that done the same thing. It is stuck on the highest voltage cause the knob is broken.. I personally don’t know how to fix that but my opinion would be to get another power supply. Depending on where you are at Hilidibrant ,needlesupply.com or frictiontattoosupply.com are great places to start getting your supply’s from. Your machine is sparking cause the amps are running to high so get a new power box and we can go from there. Hope this helps

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@lsheffler wrote:

oops my mad! haha i dont remember you posting your gender, so I just assumed! Sorries! :)

+1 to what rob said. Hildbrant’s spartan is a really solid and rad power

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-tattoo-machine-power-supply-pw11

it also comes in yellow ;)

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-spartan-tattoo-power-supply-in-camaro-yellow

lsheffler

Thank you guys, ill be purchasing one this Friday.

lsheffler

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

@lsheffler wrote:

oops my mad! haha i dont remember you posting your gender, so I just assumed! Sorries! :)

+1 to what rob said. Hildbrant’s spartan is a really solid and rad power

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-tattoo-machine-power-supply-pw11

it also comes in yellow ;)

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-spartan-tattoo-power-supply-in-camaro-yellow

Haha I guess I didn’t say my gender. But I am female haha.

lsheffler

Okay so this question has nothing to do with my machine or power supply, so I’m looking for ink sets because right now I have crappy geijutsu, now I keep seeing this gray wash and soft gray wash, what’s the difference between that, or a lot of tattoo artists around my area will do black and dilute it with just water, which would be easiest just starting out and which would be the smartest way to go with it?

robroy289
      Participant

@lsheffler wrote:

Okay so this question has nothing to do with my machine or power supply, so I’m looking for ink sets because right now I have crappy geijutsu, now I keep seeing this gray wash and soft gray wash, what’s the difference between that, or a lot of tattoo artists around my area will do black and dilute it with just water, which would be easiest just starting out and which would be the smartest way to go with it?

Ok, i just got eternal the other day and man it went into the skin really well but as far as healing i will have to tell you latter on that. I highly recommend it or starbrite, or Intenze. Needle supply, Friction tattoo supply, or Monster steel tattoo supply are good places to get quality ink and ink sets. If you do not want to mix your own grey wash i recommend either Silver Back series grey wash sets. Its a very forgiving grey wash for someone new to it but not really dark like the intenze also Kabuki by skin candy is good i hear but haven’t tried it personally. But seriously you do need to get rid of the kit ink and get something of better quality, and get 1/2 oz bottles first until you find the ink that works best for you cause different artist like the thick inks like MOMS and Alla Prima , some like the real thin inks like starbrite, and you have the in-between Intenze and eternal. There are so many good brands out there to fit every tattoo artist individual style. I hope this helps….

lsheffler

I found a set of eternal ink I had my eyes on from elementtattoo, I know the artists around my area have mentioned this site numerous times and they are fairly well priced. But ill definitely have to look into other things as well, thanks for the tips you guys are big help!

lsheffler

Okay scratch that elementtattoo website, I’m having a brain fart to what the name of the website is I visit.

lsheffler

Oh what is your opinion on prizm ink? Good or a waste?

Spider
      Participant

I’d have to say that with the exception of just bad quality crappy ink, the ink you end up picking is as varied in some cases as the parts you use. Just because some people “swear” by one brand or another doesn’t mean much. I hit an economical speedbump and at the same time had an issue with almost all my basic colors. I ended up buying a set of Radiant Colors. They worked well for the purpose even though I had to add glycerin to a few colors to get a better thickness. Now that the recovery from the speedbump is over I went shopping again and came across a new brand I am giving a shot, Solid Ink. So far I am digging this stuff. But I also have a few other brands in some specific colors and so on. My point is that your color palette kinda depends on you. People will say Fords are crap buy a Chevy, Chevy is Junk buy a ford, Never ever ever buy a ford or chevy get a….get my point. From my experince part of growing as an artist is just learning from experience and finding out what works for you and what does not. If ur not in a shop just keep one thing in mind maybe, when or if you get better and find your groove, call back the first screw ups you had and fix em!!!

lsheffler

Thank you!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@Spider wrote:

I’d have to say that with the exception of just bad quality crappy ink, the ink you end up picking is as varied in some cases as the parts you use. Just because some people “swear” by one brand or another doesn’t mean much. I hit an economical speedbump and at the same time had an issue with almost all my basic colors. I ended up buying a set of Radiant Colors. They worked well for the purpose even though I had to add glycerin to a few colors to get a better thickness. Now that the recovery from the speedbump is over I went shopping again and came across a new brand I am giving a shot, Solid Ink. So far I am digging this stuff. But I also have a few other brands in some specific colors and so on. My point is that your color palette kinda depends on you. People will say Fords are crap buy a Chevy, Chevy is Junk buy a ford, Never ever ever buy a ford or chevy get a….get my point. From my experince part of growing as an artist is just learning from experience and finding out what works for you and what does not. If ur not in a shop just keep one thing in mind maybe, when or if you get better and find your groove, call back the first screw ups you had and fix em!!!

+1

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan