• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ricoh65
      Participant

I “learned” to tattoo in prison- I did ALOT of time and when I came home I bought a complete kit w/2 machines from Afterlife Customs and have been ‘Scratchin'” ever since. I have learned that a real machine is ALOT different from that rig I called my gun in jail, but the principle is the same with the added bonus of all the needles-(the most I stacked in jail was 5)- I did an apprenticeship back in 1993 at Lark Tattoo LLC. in Albany, NY. It’s just that I haven’t tattooed anyone in a long time and am starting back up. I’m here for some tips and improvement.-I have been at it and only use disposable needles and tubes, I don’t reuse anything.

Best to get into a real studio and start a proper apprenticeship. To learn the difference between jail and real pro gear. You should def veere away from kit power supplies and machines – but they are not ALL bad. You have to check out what you get. I have seen ALOT of high quality stuff coming from china – that is solid. It is out of tune and the springs are all messed up, but the basic frame and coils are solid. Do yourself a favor and get a real machine that is pretty cheap from Kingpin like a mass produced one – and get an idea of how a real machine should run – then you can tweak your kit machines to run the same. Apprentice – Apprentice – Apprentice.. if you want to get good! Best of luck

liam

hi ricoh65 and welcome.
      i just wanted to ask jordan(or anyone else really) about getting a kingpin machine cas ive also got a kit and would love to “see how a real machine runs”. i checked out kingpin on the net and you had to be affiliated with a tattoo shop to buy anything. im not in the industry so is there there anyway around this so i can get my hands on a kingpin machine?
      ps hope your looking after yourself man

sorry to say, but a lot of the top tattoo supply companies will only mail tattoo supplies to professional studios. They do this for a reason. : ) get an apprenticeship if possible – or else try eBay?
      Best of luck to you
      http://www.tattooradar.com

xDreamerx
      Participant

Yeah, if your not licensed in a shop, they wont sell to you, most places are like this…agreed. But you can try Ebay as Jordan stated. Only difference is your gonna often times pay more…depends.

Also search Craigs List for people selling their gear. My first kit was a Chinese cheapy. I stripped down to frame and replaced springs, and coils and A-bar and it worked good for my purposes until I got some real gear.

liam

thanks jordan and dreamer. ill def scour ebay and craigslist now on in case something comes up (no luck so far). yeah i really wanna apprentice, im studying fine art first to increase my chances of getting one also got some money saved while i was working. in the meantime it cant hurt to familiarise myself with the tools of the trade.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan