• This topic is empty.
Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      angie

hi guys ….
      im having issue with my linning… i have to pass twice to have a dark line???
      my machine is a micky sharpz…and my power is eikon…is it my machine or am i just going to fast?

i want to be able to pass one time….its fucking bugging me !!!

what could cause this?

and another ? one in all my tattoos ( started 4 months ago) returned gray and light bleuiish seems like it fade away..??? wtf!!

please dont bitch me…just given the why this can hapen
      oh and im from qubec english is not my first language so hihih sorry for that angie

Rscotti91
      Participant

It sounds like it’s your machine.

angie

what can i do to fix it ? do i need to change the coils? or its me being a nb and didnt set it right?

Infamous
      Participant

Thats the problem I’ve been having.

You need to make sure your machine is tuned properly, it could be as simple as bending the spring slightly back to get a better contact. Try and get your A-Bar roughly parallel with the coil, I don’t know if that will work for you but that slight adjustment made my machine hit much harder. Of course, it could also be that your machine has a nicer setup for shading.

If thats not it, it could be your ink. What kind are you using for your lining?

Rscotti91
      Participant

Angie, what is your voltage set at? You could be moving your hand to fast for the voltage you have your machine set at. @infamous Making the machine hard hitting is just a preference. That’s not the problem… and I doubt it’s that either. You can tune a machine to do everything if you know what you’re doing.

angie

thanks guys i use intenze lining black or true black and voltage is aroune 6.3 v sometime i go up to 6.7… is that the issue here?

i took my machine and dessemble it…humm now i ressemble it and hummm lol your so gonna laught at me it is working but goddd theres no power shittt know lets find out what i did wrong here….its the second time i do it and the first with issue lolll

any ideas???

Spider
      Participant

ok, so here’s what I’ll do, follow the link here and it will tke you to a hidden page on my shop’s website, The page will have a book that may help a little in tuning your machine. The issue you are having sounds like a combination of your hand moving too fast and not enough stretching of the skin, If the skin is not stretched enough you get a bounce effect from the needle which causes the needle to not be able to get past the epidermis into the dermis. making your machine hit harder is not the answer. IMO if your machine sounds like a mini jackhammer it’s hitting way to hard which increases the chance of you turning that area into hamburger meat. Slow your roll….Check the tuning guide to help you get a basic tuning adjustment for you machine. Here’s the link..
      http://www.darkcarnivalink.com/tuning

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Spider Thank you Spider, I checked that out but IMO it seems like that’s one persons preference. Not saying it’s bad though.

@Angie
      if you have some extra money, look into buying the book “tattoo machines and their secrets.” It’s a little bit expensive but well worth the money, it literally teaches all the aspects of your machines.

angie

oh god thanks!!! bless ya :) spider awesome of you !!!

i will defenetly buy that book
      :)

Spider
      Participant

@Rscotti91 wrote:

@Spider Thank you Spider, I checked that out but IMO it seems like that’s one persons preference. Not saying it’s bad though.

Well basic tuning is imo, kinda fundamental. That guide is really just that, basic. I mean hell I have my power supply running my liners at a smooth 6 and never higher than 7.25 and my shaders at 8-9. The little tweaks are just that, little tweaks, I also run a long stroke on my liners and use a 1 in alot of the stuff I do. The attached is a mech dragon on a asian koi theme sleeve (with a twist) that I am currently working on using the settings I have mentioned. So basically it comes down to finding what works for you and going at it. And yes that whole outline is using a 1rl with a stroke that is about an 8th of an inch and never ever riding the tube. Just the way I like to roll..lol….

angie

wow! never went down more than 3rl …. kinda scrared to use the 1rl….but i like fine details thats me…my style :) i might give it a goo :) on fake skin first to see how it goes!!!

ive been playing a lot with my machines yesterday after reading your guide and ohhh! i love that machine now :)
      thanks for helping me out :)

take care
      Angie :)

Rscotti91
      Participant

I just retuned my machine from being a liner-shader, to a versatile beast! I don’t know if I’ll use my other machines again! haha

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Spider wrote:

@Rscotti91 wrote:

Well basic tuning is imo, kinda fundamental. That guide is really just that, basic. I mean hell I have my power supply running my liners at a smooth 6 and never higher than 7.25 and my shaders at 8-9. The little tweaks are just that, little tweaks, I also run a long stroke on my liners and use a 1 in alot of the stuff I do. The attached is a mech dragon on a asian koi theme sleeve (with a twist) that I am currently working on using the settings I have mentioned. So basically it comes down to finding what works for you and going at it. And yes that whole outline is using a 1rl with a stroke that is about an 8th of an inch and never ever riding the tube. Just the way I like to roll..lol….

So I was fiddling with my liner machine earlier today and I decided to re-tune it into a diverse all in one machine. Spider, what do you think of all in one machines?

Spider
      Participant

never used one so can’t say one way or another. In my booth I have 6 machines tuned and ready to go, of course my favs and then back-ups, in the clean room I have another 4 machines tuned and ready to run just in case. My average use is 4 machines per piece, I do alot of larger pieces and like to have my set-ups with a varying needle grouping for lining and shading and fill. I also run a dual machine so I just have to flip the switch to go from liner to shader as well as extra long clip and foot pedal cords, just my preference. That’s my set-up below. It took me about 3 months to find a place for everything I use and how I like it. When I was working on the road it was harder because I couldn’t have a set place for most things, having your station is always a huge plus. But then even when I was inking at home I still set aside a space that was about 65 square feet just for my stuff. So again, it’s all personal preference peeps. If a liner/shader one machine gig works for you then go at it.

angie

yeah !!! thats an awesome set up :)

im still getting my studio set up ( in my home) i want it to be as professional as if it was in a shop!! I use only disposable hube and needles…
      i go by the book !!!

in a few years ill have my own shop :) well thats my goal hahah

Spider
      Participant

Home set-ups can be effective, This is one of my old set-up I was using in my home from June of 2012 until july 2013. I used glass mirrored folding closet doors set-up in an accordian style to give me a folding wall, the cart is a tea cart from Ikea, and the wall shelf is something I found at a thrift store and gutted so that it opened and made a small shelf that I used for my inks and tray when working. With some inginuity it can be done…

angie

ok clear me up here…for lining it would be better to use round bugpin?? is that right

for coloring i should use textured needles
      shading mag and curved mag

did i get this right guys ??

thanks for lightning me up :) and sorry for my poor english :(

Rscotti91
      Participant

No not necessarily, round bugpins are a tighter needle group. They could better depending on the tattoo, like a portrait.

In my opinion, there is no difference between a curved mag and standard mag when it comes to color work. I find that they equally color pack the same.
      In my opinion, when it comes to using a curved mag for shading, they’re better.

R.Scotti

angie

thanks you are really helping me :)

do you use those texture needles? if so wen and why?

me liking ya a lot hihi
      thanks so muTch

Rscotti91
      Participant

You’re welcome, Angie.
      I use them for black and grey shading, I find that they make a smoother and more fluid gradient.
      R.Scotti

angie

I will have to get some texture needles ive never use does…and black and gray are my favorite to do! i love it:)

texture needles and curved mad good for shading and colors :)

do you ever use round shader for coloring?

Rscotti91
      Participant

Yeah try them out, let me know how you like them and I agree, black and grey are my favorite too!
      Yes, sometimes, but it depends on the client, their skin, and the tattoo.
      I like to use them to refine color and grey near edges or on near bloodlines. So they have cleaner edges, I’m not very comfortable using a mag on its side yet.
      R.Scotti

angie

will do :) where do you order your needles?

Rscotti91
      Participant

There is a few different supply companies I use. I haven’t used one more than the other.

angie

k can you put up the link in here..pretty please :)

i usualy go by tat soul, world wild tattoo and cam tat…if you have another suplier always nice :)

what about the machines…im using an old micky sharpz.. as liner and a micky sharpz (paul rogers) as a shader…

I love those machine….its heavy tho… i also have the whip (rotativ) i just fine it harder to set my needle deep whit the rotativ but
      i like it a lot and its not heavy….

i have ordered to machine from hilbrant machines one shader and one liner…do some one have those machines??

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Which machines did you order?

I have four machines from Hildbrant: .357 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .44 Winchester, and the .22 Rimfire

I am actually really pleased with them. They run great even straight out of the box.

I also order all my supplies from Hildbrant. Their refill pack is a godsend. They even let me pick which 50 needles I want.

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/tattoo-kit-refill-pack

angie

i just receive it :)
      its the marlin 444…will give this new baby a try in a few :)

Rscotti91
      Participant

@angie wrote:

i just receive it :)
      its the marlin 444…will give this new baby a try in a few :)

How do you like it, Angie? I have the .444 marlin too, changed the springs, contact screw, and re-tuned it, works amazingly! The machine ran nicely right out of the box, just not my prefrence.
      R.Scotti

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I agree they do run nicely even out of the box
      the marlin is designed to be a slow shader

Rscotti91
      Participant

Yeah, it is DESIGNED FOR A SLOW SHADER, BUT me being….. ME! LOL
      I changed the springs, contact screw, and re-tuned to an all in one machine! It’s pretty B.A. if I’d have to say. haha.
      R.Scotti

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Personally I prefer a machine that can do one thing fantastically rather than a machine that can do everything mediocre
      thats just me though. everyone has their own personal preferences, and if it works well for you more power to you Scotti :3

angie

i like it…its nice machine :) will get her a nice run tomorow….will post a pic :)

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

Personally I prefer a machine that can do one thing fantastically rather than a machine that can do everything mediocre
      thats just me though. everyone has their own personal preferences, and if it works well for you more power to you Scotti :3

That’s the thing about it, it does each aspect fantastically, for my style and preference that is.
      I definitely don’t mind have a machine for each job though, I’ve just been doing A LOT of studying and fiddling with my machines.
      I guess to each is own. (:
      R.Scotti

P.S.- Don’t forget Scotti doesn’t know!!! haha. :D

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@angie: Cant wait!

@scotti: yeah thats whats awesome about tattooing. there is really a plethora of “right” ways of doing it. its really personal preference. Not long ago I had 11 machines haha

Infamous
      Participant

Was that a Eurotrip reference? I feel like it was.

angie

heres what i done with my new baby :)

ill might have some toutch up..kinda find it hard to color…is it the ink im using…
      fell free to comment and give some advise

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/539568_213435438811276_428333030_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1093781_213435475477939_1494407220_o.jpg

i think its not black enough but was scared of over du the skin so i stop it there plus its a friend so shell come back if we need to toutch up…

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

what inks are you using?

It could be your technique. Make sure you go in at a 45* angle, and do small slow circles. You also need to make sure your machine is tuned properly, and your power supply is set to the proper voltage. Your power supply doesnt necessarily affect the speed. It affects the power of the machine. If it’s too low the needles have a hard time to penetrate the skin. If it’s too high it will cut the skin open. You need to get it just right. Simply touch the A-bar. If you lose almost all of your throw its too low. If you don’t lose ANY of your throw its too high. You want it to bog down a little, but not completely.

All in all it looks like a really solid piece. The only thing that gets me are the straight shadows. Nothing in nature is ever straight. Your shadows wouldnt be straight across the body if there was a lizard on it. Other than that if its taken care of it should heal up nicely.

angie

thanks for the advise …ill fix the shadows wen she comes back…your right :)

i found it hard to do the shadows cause it was doing litle lines… wasnt smooth .?? why is that is it that i was hitting skin to hard or not hard enough?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Normally when I do shading I just kiss the skin, and I do a whipping motion. it makes a really smooth and nice gradient.
      doing the style of shadow you did though you did a pretty good job.

were you using a round shader?

angie

yes i did use a round shader 9 actually…is that the problem?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

definitely not I was just curious. for smaller stuff like that I usually use Round shaders too, but if you wanted a more faded edge then a solid line maybe try a 5M1

angie

thanks will try that next time :) theres so many needles…its easy to get lost in all this wen your just starting :)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I agree. I’ve been there. I used to either wing it, or take a long time examining and comparing needles before getting into a piece. Now that I’ve been doing it for three years I can simply look at the stencil on the skin, and know which needles I’ll need. :3

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan