• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      The Doctor

So I met this amazing person, he’s been tattooing for over a decade.
      He is one of the best artists I’ve ever seen. Shortly after we met, he had a look over my artwork and knew I dreamed of being a tattoo artist for years now.
      He brought over his machines, plugged it all in and handed me a pair of gloves. Gave me the basic run through on what the machine does, how it works and how to use it.
      Moments later I was touching up some really faded looking black stars on his shoulders.

Later on he came to me with a flash design, simple little thing. I did it, I think it could be better, but again it was my second time tattooing.

Since then, it’s been a couple months.

I’ve done a dozen or so tattoos, and have purchased some of my own gear with his guidance and advice.

I have spent over 10 hours tattooing myself in the last month. I’m my most frequent client. I have made a few mistakes.

It’s my skin, I can fix it up (I hope) but I do need to learn more and my teacher is a silent guy. He hands me pictures, and tells me to tattoo them. If I do something terribly wrong he tells me what I need to do to make it right.
      We only work together on tattoos a few days a week and I’m a lot more serious about it than that.

But he has other things going on and can’t spend every night tattooing with me so I need to start reading and learning on my own.
      Like…he’s baking a cake right now… I need to come up with some ideas to finish my arm up tonight. Fun stuff.

Well – you should work in a studio as an apprentice – you get to see more than just the technical side. You have multiple artists who usually answer questions. Tattoo takes time – lots of time – and lots of tricks of the trade..
      ask as many questions as you can.
      Do you have the book: Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo?
      Pick up a copy and feel free to email me directly!
      Best of luck with your apprenticeship!
      http://tattoo-for-the-apprentice.blogspot.com/

tyreepatrick

I was told many times by many artists before I became a professional that the best way to learn tattoos is to get tattoos. Save some dough and get some cool work from a few professionals and keep working on your current mentor for an official apprenticeship. And don’t forget to draw. Always. Tattooing is not just tracinig like most wanna-be’s think. Tattooing is drawing. If your art sucks so will your tattoos. Good luck.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan