• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      demonicus

Ok I’m a scratcher, you know I’m proud to be one honestly cause at some point I’ll hook up with a pro and fine tune or relearn what I’m missing doing the self taught thing.

Here’s what I have ordered
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320845665860&si=UaQ%252FcMKcbEwVXz2EU2RF5iU5MME%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_12580wt_932

now from this kit above I’ve sold the entire thing to a friend but have kept both of the machines that have chrome frames.

Here’s the other kit I purchased, dual rotary guns kit from hildbrant
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150619327289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_7334wt_984

Just from switching to the power supply from hildbrant the coil machines are running at a lower voltage 10.6 from almost 14.8 but the description says that the machines should be running at a 6.5v sweet spot. I’m thinking it was just a marketing thing but I’d like to know if I can get these things to run closer to the voltage stated.

I’m just getting started and have yet to even open the DVD packages but have been reading the book and was wondering if someone on here may have an answer.

Johnny

Being proud to be a scratcher wont get you very far. Shitty tattoo machines run at higher voltages because of the shitty material they are made out of. Usually magnetic interference is the main reason. If your machine constantly requires more voltage as you are running it, that is the likely cause. Also rear spring tension makes a big difference, since the force required to pull the armature bar down is generated by a magnetic field produced by current surrounding the coil cores (ie voltage). A higher torsional load on the rear spring requires a stronger magnetic field. There are many other things that dictate the running voltage of a tattoo machine, and they all matter. However the feel, and tuning of a tattoo machine is what counts, and that is what you need to learn. I would suggest finding and apprenticeship, or atleast someone competent to teach you?? Afterall “scratchers” give themselves a bad name. If all scratchers knew what they were doing, and doing it right nobody would be bitching…

demonicus

yes well unfortunately I have a family with 4 kids and cant afford to volunteer my time at the cost of feeding my kids, beyond that where I live has no artist either. I’m 31 not some kid fresh outta highschool with nothing but time to devote to the art :lol:

but I’m also a piercier and know I’m good with my hands. If better equipment is required I’ll take care of that in time as I order parts for my machines. Humans are quite capable of learning and in time I’ll go see my mentors but until then it’s what I can type and explain and get responses that will make the difference for me. I dont intend to put ink to skin for a year so I’ve got to do what I can with the tools I have and see where it takes me.

Honestly I’m no artist and only wanted to be able to do tribal work. 1 step at a time I guess.

and there’s nothing wrong with being a scratcher, I’m using fruit not people so that name will suit me just fine lol.

thanks none the less

Johnny

Sorry, I guess that sounded kinda mean. I wasn’t trying to knock you or anything, its just really important to have a good understanding of how a machine works. I know quite a few people that are good artists, but that really struggle with machine tuning. Ultimately it will diminish your potential as a tattoo artist without it. It would be the same thing if a good artist didn’t know how to sharpen a pencil. Again, I’m sorry if I sounded rude. Oh and if your budget permits, get some good equipment. You don’t have to spend a thousand dollars on machines. Technical machines, coastal machines, unimax machines and national machines can be had at a fair price. If you are planning on doing tribal work you are going to need to learn how to tune a color packing machine. Oh and devote yourself to learning about barrier protection, and cleanliness. Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan