• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      leopardprints67
      Participant

I won’t go into my past of bad shop experiences. It’s all in the past and suffice it to say, it sucked balls.
      But now I have another situation.

I have two job offers for shops about 20 miles away each from my apartment. Not apprenticeships…jobs. I looked at their work and while they’re very eager to have me, alot of their work is even below what I can do now (One shop is HORRIBLE. The art I’ve seen there is gawdawful and they should be ashamed of themselves).

I want to tattoo so badly it hurts. I want to be BETTER than I am now. I want to improve and be challenged. I want my art to reflect what I can do on paper. However, I look at their work and I’m torn. On one hand, I’d be working in a shop again. My dream. On the other hand, what could I possibly learn? I’m already a better artist on paper and skin. Seriously, NOT BRAGGING, but everything I have done is better than most of the best they produce. To add to the issues, I work a slave job during the evening, my husband is severely disabled and unable to get around much, I don’t see my kid much these days anyway and our van would probably not last long driving it back and forth so much. Not to mention the gas costs. I am torn and not sure what I should do. Take it and see if it’s going to be worth the sacrifices or wait for a better chance…if I EVER get another chance, that is.

Opinions, anyone? Please advise me.

Viper65

wow…I wouldnt even begin to be able to offer an opinion, I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you decide to do with this and hope it all turns out for the best!!!!

leopardprints67
      Participant

@Viper65 wrote:

wow…I wouldnt even begin to be able to offer an opinion, I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you decide to do with this and hope it all turns out for the best!!!!

Yeah, it’s a sucktacular situation. I may never get another chance especially at this age. I’ve already had a shop here in town tell me a few years ago (and I quote). ‘”Yeah, I love your artwork. You could be a flash artist for us. But you’re too fat, too old and not pretty enough to work for me”‘.
      Everyone here has a fucking Miami/LA/NY Ink mentality and only want glam in their shops. NOT art. NOT talent. Just a set of tits that looks good.
      And seriously, it’s not like I’m a freakin’ troll or anything, either!

Viper65

LOL…I hear ya. Im 45yrs. YOUNG, yes, i started this late in life, but who cares, your never too old to try something new for change! Hang in there, something will develop sooner or later. I dont know if you have ever looked into it but have you thought of just opening your own shop? I look at office space for rent on Craigslist alot and you can get some pretty good deals and what not on rent. I got a really good friend that did that, his rent is like $300, he does that in a days time, its just him in the shop so very low overhead, and he is really doing very well with it. I know you would like to learn some more but it looks like you are doing pretty well already, i bet you would do just fine with it.

leopardprints67
      Participant

@Viper65 wrote:

LOL…I hear ya. Im 45yrs. YOUNG, yes, i started this late in life, but who cares, your never too old to try something new for change! Hang in there, something will develop sooner or later. I dont know if you have ever looked into it but have you thought of just opening your own shop? I look at office space for rent on Craigslist alot and you can get some pretty good deals and what not on rent. I got a really good friend that did that, his rent is like $300, he does that in a days time, its just him in the shop so very low overhead, and he is really doing very well with it. I know you would like to learn some more but it looks like you are doing pretty well already, i bet you would do just fine with it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. There’s so much I want to learn though and I suck at lettering still. And I’ve thought about that, too and using my cell phone as a business phone to cut back on expenses and the such. I haven’t found any cheap office space yet, but still looking. Then there’s the licensing, etc etc etc. I figure I’d need at least a couple grand to get started, although I already have a shiteload of flash (big stacks of it!) and most everything I’d need to run a shop. Still not giving up. And haven’t you heard that 40 is the new 20? Seriously, I feel like I’m 20 (and luckily, don’t look 44!). NOT giving up. Or giving in. Ever. Just frustrated as all hell.

Viper65

rock steady………

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan