• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      jtdaltonsr

of coarse i need advice, or i wouldnt be posting, but I recently did a tat on a guy, it was his name in block hebrew. I actually used full disposable that a friend provided, I used 7liner and 11mag for shading. anyways, after the forth day, the thing looks like a dried up bowl of oatmeal, if u can understand. This is the first tat that ive done that has done this, Im woundering what could it possibly be. My machines are tuned the same as ever, needle depth was not too deep, i actually use my tip as a guide. I barely can even see the tip when it is running. The same for shading, the needles are barely noticable when running. I dont run the amps that high at all, liner was set at 8, shader was at 9.5. He is taking care of the tat, I see him on a daily basis, and his other tats that ive done healed and peeled fully around 2 weeks. what should i consider as the factor of the results of this? Was it me? could it possibly be him? Im scared now, because it looks terrible. Fixable, but for now terrible.

xDreamerx
      Participant

Ok, your posting here for obvious reasons…you want advice….help….call it what you will.

K…not gonna sugar coat it. But this is one reason why you need to APPRENTICESHIP! You need to get guidance on how to properly tattoo. You need to practice on pig skin first or something cause real skin is not for you just yet. Take this as constructive criticism. Learn from all the advice you may find on here.

Let the tattoo heal, give it some time. I dont know how bad you traumatized the skin but either way it will heal. Depending on how it heals will determine what your able to do if even to fix it.

Post close up pix if you can now and after its healed. You may have to wait a while before its touchable again. And I strongly advise not touching it until you get further skilled in this art.

Hope this helps amigo.

jtdaltonsr

Let me restate….THIS IS THE FIRST TATTOO THAT I HAVE DONE THAT HAS DONE THIS. This is not the FIRST tattoo that I have ever done. Ive done a ton of tats, none ever has done this. Please, I know i need an apprentiship, my question had a direct answer…what could have caused it? I DID NOT go too deep, I know this much. I have SOME basic knowledge for doing tattoos, Ive been doing them for quite some time. Just not in a shop. AGAIN>…..anyone with incite….REAL ANSWERS FOR MY QUESTION ONLY PLEASE. With the info Ive provided, does anyone have a logical answer, other than get an apprenctice? that doesnt answer what really happened. Im trying to prevent this from happening. I didnt have to continually go over the tat at all. One pass is all it took. Im using Ichiban Sumi liner, and Starbrite crimson red. By the way, this morning the tat looked like it was flaking the scab, under some of what I can see, the color stayed pretty well. Just worried why the heck he has thick scabs instead of very very thin. And again, Im not trying to be rude, just dont have alot of time on this computer,trying to get my answers quickly. I dont own a computer, I use the ones at work, and i work for a call center that doesnt allow cell phones, so I cant transfer any pics. I can text them though, to a trustworthy person. PLEASE someone help with some logical answers. And also, no smartass remarks. that is just not needed. We all are aware what we NEED to be doing, the fact is, it doesnt happen at a snap of a finger. WORK WITH ME PEOPLE!!!! (sorry if I sound rude, but i can “read” the attitude in some post, I really think that is immature on a site that was made to ask questions and get logical answers. if u cant answer, save your finger work out and dont reply. thanks)

jtdaltonsr

By the way dreamer, sorry if i sounded rude! i read over your post a second time, like i said time is at hand, I do take it as constructive critisism, the part in my last post about incite and the attitude was not intended for you, I have been just reading a few negative post to some really good questions. Im just anticipating someone calling me a scratcher because I really want to tattoo. I also like to know what caused something to prevent it. This was a new one to me. Ive been a “scratcher” for a long time, even when i first started ive never done this. Im hoping someone will say it was something HE did…lol But if i did, I want to know what… I really appreciate ANY and ALL replys.

jayboogink

I am a novice tattoo artist on practice skins have been trying to attain an apprenticeship and learning everything possible for the last year and a half now. I have two things to say that might help you. One: get a jeweler’s loupe to examine your needles after you fully set up your machine before you touch skin to insure that your needle tips are not barbed (bent). If they are you can do serious damage to your clients skin not to mention the quality of the artwork as well. Two: you are going to have a really hard time getting an apprenticeship and earning the respect of fellow artists or mentors with an attitude like that. You need to chill out and absorb any and all advice that someone with real experience is willing to share with you. I’m not picking an argument with you. I’m just hoping you realize that people responded to your question, but not to your apology.

jtdaltonsr

ok last response…if ur a novice on practice skins, and an apprentice, good for you! It was evident the person that responded didnt really read my post and that in itself is frustrating. lets me know they really dont care about my question at all just want to look good with a response. This is supposed to be a forum where u ask questions, get an answer. at least, thats what the book describes, a place that answers are given, not attitudes. What encouragment am i supposed to get from someone that evidentally didnt read my post all the way?

jayboogink

The person who responded to you is accomplished and doesn’t need to “look good with a response”. He was trying to give you encouragement by suggesting that if you had an apprenticeship then your mentor would be able to prevent you from making those kind of mistakes before they happen instead of looking for answers afterwards. He also asked you to post pictures so he could further attempt to help you.

You do have a shitty attitude man. It could be any number of things. Does the client have any other tattoos with red ink? Many people have reactions to red ink which could look like any number of things. The advice about the jewelers glass was also sound advice. I’m actually shocked with how many “tattoo artists” out there don’t even glance at their needle before starting the tattoo. Like said, one little barb or hook in a needle will turn skin to roast beef and many times you wouldnt know until that tattoo was finished and healing. Don’t have an attitude like this forum was placed here at your disposal for prompt direct answers to any question you may have. Some people wouldnt know good advice if it slapped them in the face.

Also JT, you’re the guy that was also saying that you could sterilize tubes without an autoclave by boiling them right? You only used each tube once yet you said here you do a ton of tattoos? Now you have a client with a tattoo that looks like “oatmeal” that you did? See where i’m going here bud? Hope you didn’t tattoo you’re client with one of those steel or aluminum tubes bro.

RavenSpirit

JT, my husband received a tattoo on his chest a few years ago, not his first either. He has 10 other tattoos. He went to a tattoo studio and his tattoo got “oatmeal” like too. He never experienced this before. He scabbed really bad, the tattooer was a beginner who didn’t have an apprentice. He was hired based on his ability to draw and his desire to tattoo. So, not everyone does an apprenticeship.The tattoo healed and it looks perfectly fine. Give the tattoo time to heal, don’t freak out too much. What has the guy said about that you did the tattoo on? It could have been the placement of the tattoo? Maybe where you did the tattoo didn’t need as much of a penetration as the others that you did on him. Did you use different ink this time? I am currently doing a large tribal piece on a guy’s arm and the Kuro Sumi black did not like his skin, so I switched to Iron Butterfly midnight black and it works much better. I have found that all ink is definitely different and so is everyone skin. Sometimes it may work other times it won’t. How is the tattoo now?

Jack

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

of coarse i need advice, or i wouldnt be posting, but I recently did a tat on a guy, it was his name in block hebrew. I actually used full disposable that a friend provided, I used 7liner and 11mag for shading. anyways, after the forth day, the thing looks like a dried up bowl of oatmeal, if u can understand. This is the first tat that ive done that has done this, Im woundering what could it possibly be. My machines are tuned the same as ever, needle depth was not too deep, i actually use my tip as a guide. I barely can even see the tip when it is running. The same for shading, the needles are barely noticable when running. I dont run the amps that high at all, liner was set at 8, shader was at 9.5. He is taking care of the tat, I see him on a daily basis, and his other tats that ive done healed and peeled fully around 2 weeks. what should i consider as the factor of the results of this? Was it me? could it possibly be him? Im scared now, because it looks terrible. Fixable, but for now terrible.

SO MANY details left out. im just an apprentice, but some questions come to mind.

1. sterility – steril environment? steril tools, setup, needles, machine, etc?
      2. old ink? where is your ink kept?
      3. disposables are tricky, is this your first time with one?
      4. tracking with disposables is tricky, did you use a loope to check the performance of your needle, how its tracking, etc?
      5. the mag could have been your issue, going over and over and over try to pack that ink in will cause a chumming of the skin, which will scar, and also look like hamburger or oatmeal as you say. shading and filling should be done in 1-2 passes anymore will result in dangerous results
      6. proper aftercare – did you inform your client to use noxema on their tattoo? haha i hope not. hopefully you used industry standard disinfectants throughout the tattoo, and taught them how to take care of their new tattoo.

so many factors, and i hate to say, but if you have these concerns, which is a lack of confidence, you probably shouldn’t be tattooing. no pun intended but this industry requires confident, competent, and responsible people that take all these things into consideration for each client. please seek an apprenticeship. your probably a great artist, so think of it like that. great artist, tons of potential, but lacking technical skills like safety, application, and care. best of luck!

Blake

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

I DID NOT go too deep, I know this much.)

you cant go too deep, what you think of going too deep is actually over working the area and thats probably what you did

Loopi

Also was the tattoo covered with a plastc sheet for a couple of hours after the tattoo was done! Tattoos can dry out very quickly and if its not kept in this moist environment for the few hours it can get very scabby and dry.

robroy289
      Participant

@Blake wrote:

@jtdaltonsr wrote:

I DID NOT go too deep, I know this much.)

you cant go too deep, what you think of going too deep is actually over working the area and thats probably what you did

That’s the first time i have ever herd that!!! I agree he probably did over work it, but needle depth is very important. It can cause greater risk for infection excessive bleeding ,The pigment to spread, and not to mention scarring!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan