• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

As you may know, I sometimes just jump in to things. Just doing what I see, picturing every action in my head, right up until I put needle on skin. For what I have done so far, I have replayed every action in my head.
      Its a little something I have done all my life, first time I saw this being done in a movie, I was like “Hey THATS what I do!” But still don’t have a word for it.
      I’m to do a portrait of a dog. First time, basically working everything up in black and white. (as it is black and white) Any of you guys have any experience with realism in a dog portrait? Any sound advice is greatly appreciated :D

Spider
      Participant

The biggest thing with animals is getting a textured look. Without that it looks flat. For texture ur gonna use whites, maybe even some yellows and even oranges, if it’s a brownish animal make a few shades of brown wash like you would a grey wash, and maybe even some dirty diluted white (For example on a deer head realism piece I would add one drop of my lightest greywash from a #16 cap to a cap of opaque white in a #10 cap and mix). The highlights are what is going to separate flat from depth in a piece like this so take it slow and pay attention to the details.

Lennart82
      Participant

Thanks spider.

Its a black and white dog. Its a challenge, but a challenge I’ve been waiting for.

Whats your take on the construction of the piece? Should I start with lining the piece first? Or work it up from the bottom, like a portrait?
      I know portraits dosent need the lining (since it will look all wrong with marked lines) but this is a black dog, and a lining could perhaps be an idea… You thoughts?

Spider
      Participant

Hmm, I’d go at a piece like this by lining the obvious hard lines black, outside lines where light is the harshest, eyes, nostrils, ect, then probably use a grey line for other stuff, and grey line should be the lightest possible wash you use so the lines aren’t hard. if ur going for the realism look then yes work it in layers of shading. Should work.

Lennart82
      Participant

Thanks again.

With this new knowledge I see the act ober an over in my head. I now know how I should go about this :D This evening, I will take thoughts to practise. :D

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan