• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      rob

hey guys what needles would i use to do small lettering, would i still have to use a small outline and small shader, a big outline and no shader or a round shader.

jtdaltonsr

If I were doing the tat, I would use like a 5 round liner for the lining and 7 mag for the shading. But it really depends on the actual size. What are the measurements? in inches?

rob

sizing would be about a half inch in a thin script. i would have thouight a 7mag was too wide for delicate small lettering

xDreamerx
      Participant

this is one of those moments without knowing the font or placement or size…..cant really say.

I can do script with 3RL 5RL 7RL…and so forth and shade with a 5RS, 5mag, 5FT….7RS, 7FT etc. those are just my typical configs for script.

rob

whats the difference between a 5mag and 5f

jtdaltonsr

5mag is actually “woven” and the flats are well, flat.

rob

sorry but what do you mean by woven, and what is better for what. its hard to find anything on needle descriptions of what does what and what is good for what. there are so many

chopper6969

myself I like useing a 5l and a 5 or 7 mag single stake with needles made with bugpins but the color in very slow but u can get a better shading with a little white to make it pop out on the edge. but that is how my menter shows me.

wrathone11
      Participant

By shading I’m assuming you’re meaning the inside of the lettering to make it solid black so that’s what I’m going off of here. You said half inch tall thin script letters, me personally I would even set up a shading machine. A tight 7 rd liner or a regular 5 rd liner will do the line work and fill (sculpt) the letters so that they are filled solid. I just slow my machine down some when I get into the fill work and with something that small it isn’t a problem. This is one of the rare occasions where I would only set up one machine for the tattoo. This is just my opinion and technique for small script lettering work, remember just because the popular lingo is “liner, shader, color machine” doesn’t mean that those machines can’t be used for everything and the in-between.

Hope this helped out some and good luck.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan